Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
bob i'm ready for spring!!!
I don't think so, you've got ten or so fingers and only 3 Qameras, there is more work to be done!

02-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #617
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Very nice shots, this is one of the reasons I got a Q, thanks for the inspiration.

Hans
thanks hans...i've seen some very nice pictures that you have taken as well...we can all learn from each other!!!
02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #618
Veteran Member

Where are you getting your Q/K adaptors? How much are you paying for them? I got one but without the aperture ring, because I was thinking that the ones with the aperture dial are a bit too expensive...thinking of buying the Pentax now...
02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can get the Pentax at B&H $250 Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses 39977 B&H Photo Video

If you want to go non- Pentax this Fotodiox is the one to get, it needs to have the internal painted flat black though. $26
Amazon.com: Fotodiox 11LA-PK-PK-Q-new Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera Fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo

02-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #620
Veteran Member

it's going to be a Pentax, since I have experienced the "jell-o" effect with the current adapter and don't want it. the other factor is that unfortunatelly, in the Great White north, the shipping fees are prohibitive (25$, almost as much as the adapter). Thanks for trying though
02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #621
Veteran Member

Cold Duck - isn't that a name for some kind of liquor?

Anyway, cold and wintry outside - ambient temp is 20F with a wind chill of 0F - look out toward the river and here are a pair of our resident Mergansers trying to stay warm. The wind is howling - the male parked on the ice has the back of his head toward the wind making for quite the stick-up hair style!

FA*300 4.5 tripod mounted - 2 sec timer - shot through double pane glass (where it's nice and warm inside!). Last photo with the Q and 01 prime to give some perspective even though my subjects had since moved on.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:42 AM.
02-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice mergansers. The male is the white one with the green head Too bad you couldn't get any shots of them up and about but I don't blame them for hunkering down in those conditions.

02-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
here are a pair of our resident Mergansers trying to stay warm. The wind is howling - the male parked on the ice has the back of his head toward the wind making for quite the stick-up hair style!
The FA*300 is looking good, even through two panes of glass. How will you decide which to keep? BTW if these are Common Mergansers that would be the female with the reddish head.
02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #624
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Neat shots Stan, and what a great place to live!

Ha Ha, I see your branch bird perches in the last photo.
Mine are stuck in a flower pot near my feeders.
02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like it is ccccold over there. You need some sunshine Stan!

Nice reach there, you are getting good practice in for the Qingfisher, the details on the feathers look sharp.

One thing I try to do when shooting the Q on the adapted lenses is use manual mode and set the EV scale to -1, as I find the Q tends to overexpose when set at 0EV.
02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #626
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Nice mergansers. The male is the white one with the green head Too bad you couldn't get any shots of them up and about but I don't blame them for hunkering down in those conditions.
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The FA*300 is looking good, even through two panes of glass. How will you decide which to keep? BTW if these are Common Mergansers that would be the female with the reddish head.
Yep - I stand corrected - even my wife told me so....

The decision of which lens to keep is harder than I thought it would be - mostly since I've had the FA* for so long and has brought me so many great images, I just don't know if I can part with it. In the end it will all come down to finances which is a shame as I'd love to just keep both and not worry about it!

The only reason I used the FA* in these shots is because it was not attached to a camera and grabbed it quickly to do these shots - the DA* was on my K-5.
02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To clarify my EV setting above: I meant to say I use Manual mode, set ISO at 125, set the adapter for the *300 at 1 (f5.6), and change the shutter speed until the scale reads -1EV.
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #628
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Neat shots Stan, and what a great place to live!

Ha Ha, I see your branch bird perches in the last photo.
Mine are stuck in a flower pot near my feeders.
Yeah - the sticks look kind of goofy sticking up and around all over the place, but they sure work great when you zoom in on them. I just hate bird shots on the feeders.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
To clarify my EV setting above: I meant to say I use Manual mode, set ISO at 125, set the adapter for the *300 at 1 (f5.6), and change the shutter speed until the scale reads -1EV.
Thanks for the tips Larry - I was in kind of a hurry since I know these guys would probably move on soon - just left the Q in "P" mode, ISO set at 125-400, lens set to f5.6 and shot away. I actually added ~+0.3 EV to those shots in PP.
02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #629
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great Horned Owls are getting bigger

I think the owls are about to fly and I might never get to shoot them again.. Last shots maybe, DAL 55-300 Fotodiox adapter plus LCD hood eye piece and a shaky Wallyworld temp tripod.

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are massive talons! Good you could catch them one last time.