Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #676
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Those bats are a special edition for Spring training! Who needs performance enhancers when you have those bats? New growth wood just doesn't measure up, I guess.

Seriously, that really tells you when it comes to action shooting, you need a mechanical shutter even when your hand (railing, monopod, tripod) is rock steady. Of course, if you want to do a bit of mind binding along with weird motion blur, then the Fotodiox adapter is a very good vehicle for it!
I got my Q to do things my other cameras couldn't do and this isn't one of them, I should have used my Kr with 55-300, I would have gotten better images but I didn't know what cameras would have been permitted in the stadium. As it turned out they allow anything shorter than a 12" lens. Not only do you need a mechanical shutter but a optical finder and auto focus for me are a requirement. I figured the only sport that I could get away with a Q was baseball but I was mistaken.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hans, great work. What's up with those illegal bats? You are really putting the Q through its paces.
Larry, I my brother in law is a sports fan and he was impressed with the torque on the bat, I let him believe it was real for a while just because I could.

Hans

03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #677
Veteran Member

Bald Eagle

First Bald Eagle this year on a nature walk in Englewood Fl. All shots hand held first 3 shots Q with DAL 55-300, 4th with SMC=M-135 f3.5 last shot Kr with DAL 55-300. Fotodiox adapter clicked down 2 stops on DAL. SMC shot at f6.3, Kr @ f8

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
First Bald Eagle this year on a nature walk in Englewood Fl. All shots hand held first 3 shots Q with DAL 55-300, 4th with SMC=M-135 f3.5 last shot Kr with DAL 55-300. Fotodiox adapter clicked down 2 stops on DAL. SMC shot at f6.3, Kr @ f8 Hans
Wow you too! Everyone sees eagles but me Good work, I still think you are the king of hand held 1650mm shots.
03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #679
Veteran Member

Thanks Larry, can't wait to get home to a good tripod, the wallyworld tripod I purchased already broke and I only used it once, cheap plastic joints.

Hans

03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #680
Veteran Member

White Ibis

A immature White Ibis loosing it's brown feathers eventually turning completely white and a Tricolored Heron with it's breeding blue bill normally gray and black feeding. Q with Tamron 70-300 @ 300 Fotodiox adapter painted with lens set @ f 6.3

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #681

Photos: Gallery

Finally got my adapter (Kiwi) to use my Nikon lenses on the Q. Today I took the Q + Sigma 180mm macro for a testrun. Effectively a 1000mm lens on the Q.

Took the shots from a tripod and used a red dot sight (did not activate the red dot this time) to track or find the animals. All shots wide open at f3.5.
03-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricR Quote
Today I took the Q + Sigma 180mm macro for a testrun.
Looks very good at wide open, an excellent match for the Q.

03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got my adapter (Kiwi) to use my Nikon lenses on the Q. Today I took the Q + Sigma 180mm macro for a testrun. Effectively a 1000mm lens on the Q. Took the shots from a tripod and used a red dot sight (did not activate the red dot this time) to track or find the animals. All shots wide open at f3.5.
Looks like a winner. Add a review to the adapted lenses thread when you are ready.
03-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #684

My first try to reach for the moon with the Q in combination with the Sigma 70-300 APO and with that in mind, I think I could have done worse! This is no crop! The hardest part was to get the moon in frame, due to my tripod being not very stable with that much weight in the front of the camera. In post the only thing I did was to slightly correct exposure and sharpen the image a little.

Last edited by Croneberg; 04-02-2013 at 03:09 AM.
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #685
Veteran Member

Finally got my adapter (Kiwi) to use my Nikon lenses on the Q. Today I took the Q + Sigma 180mm macro for a testrun. Effectively a 1000mm lens on the Q.

Took the shots from a tripod and used a red dot sight (did not activate the red dot this time) to track or find the animals. All shots wide open at f3.5.
You got some great shots, that lens looks like a great match with the Q

Hans
03-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #686

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
You got some great shots, that lens looks like a great match with the Q

Hans

Thanks, should improve a lot when there is less wind and I try to focus on animals that are moving less than those ducks. Quite hard to refocus on the duck is moving on your screen at those viewing angles.
03-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #687
Pentaxian

Here is a try at the moon, with a little different approach. I used video-mode and then stacked about 270 frames using avistack (I ended up using only 150 frames). The lens was an old pentax 135-600mm zoom at 600mm. The result was then sharpened in ps.

I haven't put too much work into it as I was shooting through an open window and the heat differences was causing a lot of disturbances, so this is only a test of the technique.
Attached Images

04-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Horrified at the public reaction to this marvel of engineering. The internet became a lynch mob. The "shootbynumbers-100%viewers" couldn't let such a camera exist. They were threatened. Sickening. Know how the designer ( Oscar B.) of the 1st Leica felt. I try to counteract this. Was hoping to keep the Q in production.
I'm going to buy a Q10 this summer. And the K-mount adapter of course. Cannot wait to try my razor sharp FA* 200/4 Macro on the Q. Equivalent to an 1100mm on a 35mm camera with 5.5X life size macros! Wow! Think I'm going to sell my little used FA* 600/4 (and who wants to use a 7kg lens for long!) and finance a 645D!
Seems to me that Q images rivals 35mm film in quality. This camera is a game changer for those smart enough to eploit it creatively...
04-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Q/Q10 do allow shots that are almost impossible to get any other way. Would play with the Q10 a while before getting rid of the 600 f4. They would be incredible together!

Moving from 600 f4 to medium format seems like a totally different type of photography. My Pentax 6X7 gets very little use since adding the Sigma DP1Merrill. Closest I have seen digital look like MF slide film. MF digital might get a little closer. Haven't been so lucky to try it.
thanks
barondla
04-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #690
Veteran Member

I just got my Xtend a sight and I'm trying to mount is well but I'm failing at the moment. I need to find the guide somebody posted here.
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Here is a try at the moon, with a little different approach. I used video-mode and then stacked about 270 frames using avistack (I ended up using only 150 frames). The lens was an old pentax 135-600mm zoom at 600mm. The result was then sharpened in ps.

I haven't put too much work into it as I was shooting through an open window and the heat differences was causing a lot of disturbances, so this is only a test of the technique.
That's incredible! Amazing how sharp it is.