Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #946
Veteran Member

I've mainly been using my Q for wide angle shots or close-ups. I decided I'd likely never spend the extra $$$ for a Bigma or similar lens for the K-30, so I just ordered the newer Pentax micro Red Dot and hot shoe mount for my Q. The Minolta 300 I have will be my test bed; if I can find one at a decent price, I may eventually pick up a Takumar 400 or 500.

Tony

05-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #947
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vince_Lux Quote
I got a Sigma 500mm f4,5 APO (first version), Nikon mount, here on the Pentax Q with a Kiwifoto G adapter:
the subject also explains why I have issues taking pictures of birds in the garden.

Now 2 images of the set-up taken with 75mm on a APS-C sensor:
Bird repellent! nice setup

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
I've mainly been using my Q for wide angle shots or close-ups. I decided I'd likely never spend the extra $$$ for a Bigma or similar lens for the K-30, so I just ordered the newer Pentax micro Red Dot and hot shoe mount for my Q. The Minolta 300 I have will be my test bed; if I can find one at a decent price, I may eventually pick up a Takumar 400 or 500.

Tony
Look forward to your shots with the new setup.
05-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #948
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Look forward to your shots with the new setup.
Thanks Larry. I'm sure I read it in another thread, but what setting adjustments do you use on the Q to compensate for the long adapted lenses? My own personal preference is to slightly underexpose my photos, and adjust in PP.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the post to which I was referring.

Last edited by TonyTurley; 05-27-2014 at 02:07 PM.
05-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
My own personal preference is to slightly underexpose my photos, and adjust in PP.
Same here.

05-30-2014, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #950

Photos: Albums
Everytime I stop by this thread I'm totally stunned by the photos. Great work everyone! The DA*300 with the Q seems quite formidable. It makes we wonder why doesn't Pentax make a souped up version of the Q for field biologists and birders. You'd still pay way, way less than than big glass, plus it's incredibly compact and you could take it almost anywhere.
05-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Why not indeed? Pentax where is the Q birding kit?
thanks
barondla
05-31-2014, 04:57 AM   #952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The results from the Q with long telephoto lenses seems to be comparable in quality to 35mm film gear with 100ISO film; that means professional quality results.
I happen to have the FA* 200/4 Macro lens; a truly spectacular lens in optical quality. It must do wonders on the Q! I can hardly wait till I get one!

06-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #953

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 300 F4 SMC on either the Q or the Q7?

I'm keen to try some telephoto shots, but can't really stump up for the recommended 300mm pentax lenses. This looks like a good option to try out.
06-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #954
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Expanding Man Quote
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 300 F4 SMC on either the Q or the Q7?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ml#post2247022
06-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #955

Thanks for that - not quite as good as the modern 300mm to my eye.
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #956
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider a used DA-L 55-300. Optically good enough even on the Q, and quite a bargain. Does have some limitations when used on a K-mount camera, mainly the lack of quick-shift, but that's why it costs less.
06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #957

Expanding Man,

I second Baro-nite's suggestion of a 55-300 if you don't already have one. It's generally just a good lens to have for K mount (if you have a K-mount DLSR) and is a good value. I'm not sure what other gear you have in addition to your Qs, but for long heavy glass, I think you would need a decent tripod to steady the whole rig. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's basically impossible to shoot handheld. A lot of people like to use third party loupes to shield the LCD screen and enhance the ability to do critical focus. My point is that in order to get some of great sharp results in this thread, it takes more than just good glass but other supporting equipment. You may already know this, in which case, sorry for being pedantic.

Not to discourage you -- I myself use the 55-300 on my Q and it's fun, even though the results are nothing to write home about (or post in a forum). I use it on a tripod with a pistol grip ball head, which if I tighten only moderately allows me to move the camera fairly freely yet stay in place when I release the grip.

Another option for cheap long glass is to get a mirror lens. They have all kinds of issues (donut-shaped bokeh; low contrast; small aperture, etc.) but can be super cheap... I've seen some surprisingly decent results on flickr from such a lens on the Q.
06-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #958

Thanks.

A used 55-300 is now on it's way to me.

I'm a bit of a gear whore - I have numerous systems. I was in Hong Kong a few weeks back, lugging 3 m-mount bodies and lenses around. I go sick of the weight and became intrigued by the q system. I now have an original Q, a Q7, and the 01, 02, 03 and 06 lenses.
06-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #959
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really had planned on getting a good PS - maybe the MX-1. The Q seemed a little to bulky with the lenses, and I was hoping to get my wife to upgrade her old Canon S230. Then I stumbled on this thread, and was sold.

Saw a great deal on a Q10 with an 02 and 06 lens and bought it last week. Thought I had to wait for three weeks, but just saw it will be arriving today or tomorrow! Now I had to rush and just ordered the P to Q adapter from BH - should be arriving Friday, so I can try out my DA* 300 on it - can't wait. Now I just have to explain to my wife...

PS: Returned the HD 1.4x I just bought. It was nice, but the results were not terribly convincing with my 300. Lost a lot of contrast, and not enough of a resolution increase IMO to justify the price. It will be interesting to see how the Q will do with A135 and the DA300...
06-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #960
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I really had planned on getting a good PS - maybe the MX-1. The Q seemed a little to bulky with the lenses, and I was hoping to get my wife to upgrade her old Canon S230. Then I stumbled on this thread, and was sold.

Saw a great deal on a Q10 with an 02 and 06 lens and bought it last week. Thought I had to wait for three weeks, but just saw it will be arriving today or tomorrow! Now I had to rush and just ordered the P to Q adapter from BH - should be arriving Friday, so I can try out my DA* 300 on it - can't wait. Now I just have to explain to my wife...

PS: Returned the HD 1.4x I just bought. It was nice, but the results were not terribly convincing with my 300. Lost a lot of contrast, and not enough of a resolution increase IMO to justify the price. It will be interesting to see how the Q will do with A135 and the DA300...
Enjoy the new Q10, from what I have seen it does wonders with the DA*300 and quite well with many 135's. Just remember you will have to add some contrast and sharpen to the images, and shoot at base ISO when using adapted lenses. With the native lenses stay at f4 or wider open, my 06 is still sharp @ 2.8 but slightly better at f4. and you can move to higher ISO's