Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #961
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I really had planned on getting a good PS - maybe the MX-1. The Q seemed a little to bulky with the lenses, and I was hoping to get my wife to upgrade her old Canon S230. Then I stumbled on this thread, and was sold.

Saw a great deal on a Q10 with an 02 and 06 lens and bought it last week. Thought I had to wait for three weeks, but just saw it will be arriving today or tomorrow! Now I had to rush and just ordered the P to Q adapter from BH - should be arriving Friday, so I can try out my DA* 300 on it - can't wait. Now I just have to explain to my wife...

PS: Returned the HD 1.4x I just bought. It was nice, but the results were not terribly convincing with my 300. Lost a lot of contrast, and not enough of a resolution increase IMO to justify the price. It will be interesting to see how the Q will do with A135 and the DA300...
That's too bad about the HD TC - I have had great results with it on my DA*300.

The DA*300 is excellent on the Q's - I optimize my efforts by using a loupe to assist in getting critical focus, and also use a red dot finder to help in locating the target quickly.
I always use the '1' position on the adapter with this lens which gets you f5.6.
I use M mode and vary the shutter speed on the Q to give a slightly negative EV result, as it tends to over expose and I find slightly underexposed images are easier to work with in PP.
Use the base ISO for best quality whether you shoot raw or jpg.
Use a solid tripod and take your time when working it; this setup really makes me slow down my shooting but I enjoy it.

Best of luck!
Here is a quick settings video I did if you are interested.

06-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #962
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very helpful larry!
06-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #963
Veteran Member

PS: Returned the HD 1.4x I just bought. It was nice, but the results were not terribly convincing with my 300. Lost a lot of contrast, and not enough of a resolution increase IMO to justify the price.
Im surprised, I just saw a thread showing that combo and it was pretty good: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/266339-part-2-k-3-compare-sigma-50-500-os-da-300-hd-tc.html

Edit: Ah, I see the poster of that thread is also active in this one
06-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #964
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That's too bad about the HD TC - I have had great results with it on my DA*300.
Larry - thanks for the video and all the other posts. I read pretty much the whole thread. Can't thank you enough for all the work and effort you have put into this!!!! Thinking about getting the Red Dot etc, but am trying to restraining myself from QBA

As far as the HD 1.4x goes, I'll try to post something on another thread - no need to get this hijacked. The DA* 300 combined with the K-3 is amazing, and the cropped pictures were IMO as good as with the TC. Of course you gain more pixels, more isolation, but not something that blew me away.

I probably would have kept it, if it was not for this thread and the idea of the Q. Justified spending the money on the Q10/02/06 and the Pentax adapter by returning the TC. The TC would provide some marginal more capability than what I have now. The Q set - I think - will provide very different ways to take pictures, including ability to have a camera with me in far more situations than now.

06-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HenrikDK, the Q will definetly add different shooting capabilities to your kit. The Q is like a digital teleconverter. The red dot helps a lot.

Only shot a few images thru the Pentax HD teleconverter. Seemed to be very good on the DA*300. Did not get to try it with the Q.
thanks
barondla

Great primer crewl1!
06-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #966
Veteran Member

My first converter pictures

My Pentax Q to K adapter arrived today, giving me a chance to try it out on the Q10 I received yesterday.

First a picture from our house over to our neighbors at 7mm - then a close up of their pickup truck using the DA* 300mm (at f5.6). I know you guys have been seen plenty of these, so excuse my enthusiasm for a picture of a side of truck

That went well! Next - drum roll - gotta take a picture of bird!!!

OK - well - less successful. I know understand the 1) Red Dot - those things are darn hard to target, 2) view finder cover - very hard to see much on the LCD screen in sunlight, 3) gimbal (?) - adjusting the ball head on my tripod was difficult at best, 4) preference for static targets - that darn critter kept MOVING causing step 1-3 to repeat itself multiple times! Of course I forgot my remote, so I had to use the 2 sec timer, which apparently is half a second beyond the time that a bird stays in one place. 5) Why Larry keeps saying he is moving slower using this setup - no kidding

I got a four shots off - one of a tail feather - one out of focus - and two of the back of the critter. This is CLEARLY going to be challenge.... And likely lots of fun!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
06-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax Q to K adapter arrived today, giving me a chance to try it out on the Q10 I received yesterday.

First a picture from our house over to our neighbors at 7mm - then a close up of their pickup truck using the DA* 300mm (at f5.6). I know you guys have been seen plenty of these, so excuse my enthusiasm for a picture of a side of truck

That went well! Next - drum roll - gotta take a picture of bird!!!

OK - well - less successful. I know understand the 1) Red Dot - those things are darn hard to target, 2) view finder cover - very hard to see much on the LCD screen in sunlight, 3) gimbal (?) - adjusting the ball head on my tripod was difficult at best, 4) preference for static targets - that darn critter kept MOVING causing step 1-3 to repeat itself multiple times! Of course I forgot my remote, so I had to use the 2 sec timer, which apparently is half a second beyond the time that a bird stays in one place. 5) Why Larry keeps saying he is moving slower using this setup - no kidding

I got a four shots off - one of a tail feather - one out of focus - and two of the back of the critter. This is CLEARLY going to be challenge.... And likely lots of fun!
Hey congrats! Very good results for your first day

You will work it all out and I believe eventually come to some of the same conclusions I did about how to go about it.

1.) Yup finding those little guys at that magnification is a challenge.
2.) The Nikon 1 ebay loupe shades and also helps with focus.
3.) A gimbal def. helps, even a nice sidekick style will work with your existing ball head since this combo doesn't weigh much.
4.) I don't waste my time with moving targets unless I find one that will return to the same spot and wait for it. You will not see any BIF shots from me with this setup
5.) It's like meditation for me now. I have to remember to look around periodically because I will be zoned into getting one subject in perfect focus that I will not notice a new subject landing nearby in a better spot.

You have the right attitude and a great set of kit and will soon be able to identify where this setup is a perfect fit and get some awesome pics.

Have fun!

PS - your DFA100WR is great to use for hand held or tripod shots with the adapter and Q for extreme macro and closeups.

06-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #968
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

This is CLEARLY going to be challenge.... And likely lots of fun!
Yes it is lots of fun, enjoy
06-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #969

I am the new owner of a Pentax Q for K adapter, and a Pentax DA 55-300mm zoom.

Any suggestions as to a good bracket mount to allow me to mount either the lens or the adapter to a tripod?

The lens doesn't appear to have any mounts for hardware, but the adapter does. I've heard somewhere it is hard to buy the mounting bracket for the adapter.

Thanks.
06-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #970
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Expanding Man Quote
The lens doesn't appear to have any mounts for hardware, but the adapter does. I've heard somewhere it is hard to buy the mounting bracket for the adapter.
The correct tripod foot is the one for the DA*300. It is indeed hard to get in the USA - apparently not stocked at the Pentax Webstore and RIAC apparently no longer sells parts direct to retail consumers. Maybe B&H can get one.
06-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #971
Veteran Member

Search for Pentax Tripod Mount #38100 on ebay. Lots of these are available - shipped from Japan. About $40. Looks authentic/original. Also there is a custom one available in the marketplace - search for pentax q bracket or something similar.... I have the original that came with my DA* 300, so i only know of the above because I am thinking for getting another one...
06-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any suggestions as to a good bracket mount to allow me to mount either the lens or the adapter to a tripod?

Thanks.
Check out this third party offering.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/231003-sal...apter-q-k.html
If you already use an arca Swiss type setup then the combo with plate is a great deal.
I have the one with the 100mm plate which I attach to my DA *300 that has the same mount socket as the adapter.
06-29-2014, 06:21 AM   #973
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Thanks.
I agree with Larry and also use that mount but if you are looking for a different option check this https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/208945-chinese-tripod-rings-...ml#post2209331
06-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #974
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If you already use an arca Swiss type setup then the combo with plate is a great deal.
I have the one with the 100mm plate which I attach to my DA *300 that has the same mount socket as the adapter.
Larry - I thought I saw you have a Manfrotto tripod. How do use the arca Swiss plates with that?

Assuming there is an easy way to convert, what is the advantage of the arca Swiss?

Thx!

Last edited by HenrikDK; 06-29-2014 at 06:47 AM.
06-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold all my manfrotto ball heads a while back after taking that video.
When I bought my first gimbal I liked the arca Swiss mount it used so I started switching out.
All of my stuff uses arca Swiss plates now.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/242011...-hardware.html

The advantage is that you are able to change the balance point by sliding the plate fore and aft.
If I use the Q on the lens I have to move it all back vs when I use the K cameras.

Plus all the gimbals sold that I know of use arca Swiss clamps so if you get one you will need to be changing plates if your other stuff uses a different quick release.
This was the case with me and the manfrotto rc2.

Last edited by crewl1; 06-29-2014 at 07:44 AM.