Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #991
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the this group of lunatiQs, Bob

Prices on the Q7 and adapter are very reasonable now.

In addition to Tele use the Q7 is a fun little camera on its own, enjoy.

The DA*300 on the K-3 is a sweet combo also, with the crop abilities of the 24mp sensor you can get by without the HD 1.4.

07-28-2014, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #992
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Found this in Corkscrew Sanctuary in South Florida. Used a DA* 300mm on a Q10. Also saw an owl, but was too close to use the Q. Saw a Red Tailed Hawk, but took too long to set up
Attached Images

07-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #993
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Found this in Corkscrew Sanctuary in South Florida. Used a DA* 300mm on a Q10. Also saw an owl, but was too close to use the Q. Saw a Red Tailed Hawk, but took too long to set up
Nice work! One of the things I like about the Q+long lens is the ability to photograph animals from a distance where they aren't too concerned about me yet.
07-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice picture and very sharp! So you were too close to the owl use the DA*300.... How do you think the DA*200, 2.8 would work for birding compared to the DA*300? Would you think one would be used more often that the other? Would having a 2.8 lens be much of an advantage? Just wondering as I haven't seen anyone on this thread using the DA*200....

Thanks, Bob

07-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #995
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Nice picture and very sharp! So you were too close to the owl use the DA*300.... How do you think the DA*200, 2.8 would work for birding compared to the DA*300? Would you think one would be used more often that the other? Would having a 2.8 lens be much of an advantage? Just wondering as I haven't seen anyone on this thread using the DA*200....

Thanks, Bob
There is a sample with the DA*200 in the adapted lenses index but I think it used a converter attached also.

What I recall is that tests with that lens were not as good as the DA*300 due to a little more purple fringe that that lens produces, whereas with the DA*300 it is well controlled.

I have tried a Sigma 70-200 2.8 zoom and it works very well, so a nice modern zoom could be an option as long as it has no bad tendencies.
Any bad tendencies will be exaggerated when adapted on the Q.

Check this thread for the lens combo results https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #996
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Larry,

You mentioned awhile back that you use the Q7 with the DA*300. Do you to that because it gives better IQ than the original Q or some other reason? I would be curious to know for what you continue to use the original Q. I tried to use it with the 06 and keep the 7 for the 01 but I think the Q7 is better with the 06 despite the smaller crop factor. I'm still testing.

Last edited by Mikesul; 07-28-2014 at 11:43 AM.
07-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
There is a sample with the DA*200 in the adapted lenses index but I think it used a converter attached also.

What I recall is that tests with that lens were not as good as the DA*300 due to a little more purple fringe that that lens produces, whereas with the DA*300 it is well controlled.

I have tried a Sigma 70-200 2.8 zoom and it works very well, so a nice modern zoom could be an option as long as it has no bad tendencies.
Any bad tendencies will be exaggerated when adapted on the Q.

Check this thread for the lens combo results https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html
Larry, thanks for the info on the DA*200 and especially for the link to lenses tested..... there goes the rest of the afternoon....

Bob

07-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #998
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Larry, You mentioned awhile back that you use the Q7 with the DA*300. Do you to that because it gives better IQ than the original Q or some other reason? I would be curious to know for what you continue to use the original Q. I tried to use it with the 06 and keep the 7 for the 01 but I think the Q7 is better with the 06 despite the smaller crop factor. I'm still testing.
When I compared the Q7 to the Q using the DA*300, the Q7 rendered more detail in the shot, using the same aperture.
The lower magnification of the larger Q7 sensor is an acceptable trade off for the cleaner and more detailed result.
See this post, with the cropped K-3 thrown in for additional comparison.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images-62.html#post2616772

I use the original Q as my go everywhere camera for family activity snap shots, where it does well in sunny locations or with the built in flash.
I usually have the 02 attached, but carry the 06 and 03 just in case. It works fine for casual, fun use.

For long range adapted work now I use the Q7. The Q was very usable before I got the Q7, but now the Q7 is a better choice for me for that application.
07-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #999
Veteran Member

That is a nice, sharp image, Henrik.
07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #1000
Veteran Member

Thanks, Bob
I was actually joking. DA* 200 would have been too close too. The owl was sitting on the side of the trail, and it was perfectly framed with my k-3 and the DA* 300. I tried to use the Q, but could only fit like a quarter of the owl in the frame - cropping so tightly is very difficult with that extreme magnification, so I gave up. Of course there was no need - I am pretty sure I got a perfect shot already.

The DA* 300 is perfect with the Q/Q10/Q7 as a supplement to your K-3 or K-5. It is way to slow in many situations, and if you have a 300, i would use that on the DSLR any time over any other shorter lens on the Q. What I am trying to say is that Q setup is a lot of fun, and with 300 provides some unique capabilities. It is not a birding setup by itself
07-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #1001
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
When I compared the Q7 to the Q using the DA*300, the Q7 rendered more detail in the shot, using the same aperture.
The lower magnification of the larger Q7 sensor is an acceptable trade off for the cleaner and more detailed result.
See this post, with the cropped K-3 thrown in for additional comparison.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images-62.html#post2616772

I use the original Q as my go everywhere camera for family activity snap shots, where it does well in sunny locations or with the built in flash.
I usually have the 02 attached, but carry the 06 and 03 just in case. It works fine for casual, fun use.

For long range adapted work now I use the Q7. The Q was very usable before I got the Q7, but now the Q7 is a better choice for me for that application.
Thanks, Larry. That is what I have been finding but it is nice to have confirmation from someone with more experience.
08-02-2014, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #1002
Veteran Member

Found this little fella down on Marco Island. DA*300 on Q10 - stopped down to f5.6. I have not had a chance to look at my K-3 pictures, but I am very happy with some of the these Q10 ones. I did not think I needed the Q10+300, but the Burrowing Owls at the last nest were really skiddish, and I did not want to disturb them more than absolutely necessary. Also I had not been able to catch any of the owls sitting above ground. The Q10+300 really came in handy - without it I would have had to do heavily cropped K-3 pictures.

BTW, the Pentax Mini Reddot sight has been an absolute godsend - thanks to this thread! It makes it infinitely easier to target, and without it I would have missed many of the shots I got. I got a Sirui K-30 Ball head which is much better than the Manfrotto I used to have! but I can see why Mr. LunatiQ (Larry) is using a gimbal. Oh well - I will resist for a little while longer
Attached Images

08-02-2014, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #1003
Veteran Member

And another burrowing Owl...
Attached Images

08-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #1004
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And another burrowing Owl...
Did you get any pics of the Burrowing Owl with your K3? Be interesting to see the comparisons. Really nice pictures with the Q10. I especially like the first one.
Bob
08-02-2014, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #1005
Veteran Member

Did you get any pics of the Burrowing Owl with your K3? Be interesting to see the comparisons. Really nice pictures with the Q10. I especially like the first one.
Bob
I did, but I can't import pictures from the K-3 on my iPad, so it will have to wait until I come home. I too am curious to how they will compare, though it will be a little bit of apples and oranges. I did convince myself (see some post back) that the q10+300 is substantially better than the K-3+300 cropped (same distance). On this vacation I have gotten quite a few pictures where the reach of the Q got me some pictures I could not have gotten otherwise. However, it is a lot more cumbersome and difficult so I much prefer the k-3 if having the option.