Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #1141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Tried out the DA*300 and the Q adapter this morning...just a quick test at the backyard..

Getting a good focus is difficult and need plenty of patience and need to take many shots too.
Focus is critical. use the x8 magnify to confirm focus, I found it works better for me than peaking.

Spot 1 on the adapter works best for me on the DA*300.

One thing I would suggest is take the shot slightly underexposed, then bring it back in post.
The sensor tends to blow out highlights easily, so I shoot around -.5 EV usually.

Also 2 sec delay will help stop shake problems.

06-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #1142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Focus is critical. use the x8 magnify to confirm focus, I found it works better for me than peaking.

Spot 1 on the adapter works best for me on the DA*300.

One thing I would suggest is take the shot slightly underexposed, then bring it back in post.
The sensor tends to blow out highlights easily, so I shoot around -.5 EV usually.

Also 2 sec delay will help stop shake problems.
Thanks for that. I also shoot at the "1" setting mark on the adapter. I will take note of the -0.5 EV exposure. I also use the infrared remote for a 3 sec delay but I think the tripod is not that steady...slight breeze will cause the setup to sway slightly....normally not a problem at all when shooting the K-3 but on the Q, any slight movement will create havoc.
06-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #1143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The sensor tends to blow out highlights easily,
Exactly my experience as well. In Raw I can usually get by at -.3
01-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #1144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think this great thread needs some bump. For extreme reach I usually use my Tamron-Adaptall 60 - 300 (23A) lens with my (genuine) Q. But another "reach" option viable for me is to have good quality extreme small and handholdable telephoto package. For it I use either Pentax-110 50 mm lens with aperture washer stopping it to f 3.2/3.5 or SMC- Pentax M 100/4 Macro wide open or at 5.6. Both photos below were made without tripod/monopod with 100 mm lens.

01-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #1145

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I think this great thread needs some bump. For extreme reach I usually use my Tamron-Adaptall 60 - 300 (23A) lens with my (genuine) Q. But another "reach" option viable for me is to have good quality extreme small and handholdable telephoto package. For it I use either Pentax-110 50 mm lens with aperture washer stopping it to f 3.2/3.5 or SMC- Pentax M 100/4 Macro wide open or at 5.6. Both photos below were made without tripod/monopod with 100 mm lens.

You're right, extreme small becomes powerfull, Pentax-110, or C-Mount, 50mm, 70/75mm.with a Q7, and even more with a Q
(I have a 152mm C-Mount but it's a loooong lens
C-Mount lens have iris, and the fact is you can stop down more than I thought, or than I have read (diffraction & small sensor problem)

But...
But, the bloody rear screen can be a pain in a bright day light, and put your nerves to the test
No viewfinder, now and never as the Q line is most probably dead...

Nice shots BTW!

Last edited by Phenix jc; 01-05-2016 at 04:31 PM.
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #1146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
You're right, extreme small becomes powerfull, Pentax-110, or C-Mount, 50mm, 70/75mm.with a Q7, and even more with a Q
(I have a 152mm C-Mount but it's a loooong lens
C-Mount lens have iris, and the fact is you can stop down more than I thought, or than I have read (diffraction & small sensor problem)

But...
But, the bloody rear screen can be a pain in a bright day light, and put your nerves to the test
No viewfinder, now and never as the Q line is most probably dead...

Nice shots BTW!
We've been around this track many times. Some don't see a need for an EVF, but those of us who use long lenses most certainly do. I have a hoodman clone that I attach to turn the LCD into an EVF when using it in this way. Focusing is still a tad iffy because of limitations on the LCD, but it is better than nothing. In most cases I've felt that my pictures are as good as the lens can deliver, but I always have a faint voice wondering if focus could be the weak link. I just recently spent real money on a genuine adapter in an effort to eliminate as many potential weak links as possible, because it has occurred to me that rolling shutter could also create slight issues that might be indistinguishable from bad focus or poor resolution from the lens. (and I keep in the back of my mind the hope that once resources demanded by the FF are released ...)

added: I recently got a Tamron 23A which was babied by its previous owner, but I haven't had an opportuity to try it out on the bird feeder in our back yard.

Last edited by reh321; 01-05-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added thought
01-11-2016, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #1147
Veteran Member

K3 + FA31

Building the new Tappan Zee Bridge
by John Flores, on Flickr

K5 + DA55-300 @ 55mm

K5 + DA55-300 @300mm

Q7 + DA55-300 @300mm

01-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #1148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

Q7 + DA55-300 @300mm

I really like this picture! Did you use the Pentax adapter? If so, what aperture setting did you use? (I'm becoming more and more conscious of aperture as I take super-long pictures with that camera).

A new Tappan Zee Bridge! Wow!. I made a number of trips across the current/old bridge when my sister-in-law lived in Tarrytown NY (now she lives in Calif)
01-11-2016, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #1149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work by johnmflores documenting an impressive project, while showing off the reach of the Q.

Did my first Q work in a while yesterday, with the DA* 300:

01-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #1150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Nice work by johnmflores documenting an impressive project, while showing off the reach of the Q.

Did my first Q work in a while yesterday, with the DA* 300:
Nice pictures from you also.

Did you use the Pentax adapter?

If so, what aperture did you use??
01-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #1151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I really like this picture! Did you use the Pentax adapter? If so, what aperture setting did you use? (I'm becoming more and more conscious of aperture as I take super-long pictures with that camera).

A new Tappan Zee Bridge! Wow!. I made a number of trips across the current/old bridge when my sister-in-law lived in Tarrytown NY (now she lives in Calif)
Thanks. Not sure, but the 55-300 is F5.6 @300mm, so I probably shot it wide open or 1 stop (or 2 stops at the most) closed to try and control diffraction. And then I did some sharpening, clarity, and dehazing in Lightroom. Not too much, but not a little.
01-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my case, Pentax adapter with the aperture set to +1. I pretty much always use it this way with this lens, except when accidentally changing the setting.
03-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #1153

For those that mess with settings: in both raw and jpg settings, do you mess with your contrast and sharpness sliders at all? Does it have much effect with the raw?
03-11-2016, 05:13 PM - 3 Likes   #1154
Inactive Account

Jupiter with Galilean moons at 5600mm

Here's a couple from the recent Jupiter and full moon alignment last month. You can click through the pics for more.

Pentax K20d with Tamron ADII 500mm mirror (750mm):

The bright full moon with Jupiter and four of it’s largest moons, winter 2016.

Pentax Q with SMC 1000mm (5600mm):

Closeup of Jupiter and it’s Galilean moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.

More of 'Camping with the Stars' at:
https://kayakfari.wordpress.com/kayakfari-art/art-of-darkness-camping-with-the-stars-part-i/
03-14-2016, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #1155
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

very cool shot of Jupiter and it's moons

the wood ducks are back in my pond so got chance to get some with the Q, Q-k adapter always use setting 1 or less (I have found going higher does not improve the picture quality). Sigma 500mm 4.5. i either use a remote or the 2 second delay to minimize my movement

the female was cropped because the male decided to move his head and screw my picture up