Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "reach" of the Q - images

All images Pentax Q. "Standard" shot taken with Pentax 01 prime. Telephoto shot taken with DFA*300 at f4. Neither image is cropped. Can just make out the nest in the standard shot. No babies so the eagles would stay away for long periods of time. Started getting dark. Will go back for more images.
thanks
barondla

Attached Images

01-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Barondla:

Great example of reach of the Q. Because it is so cold where I live I haven't had a chance to try birding yet.

Dale
02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi barondla,

Nice!

A good illustration of how adding a Q and K to Q adapter into your DSLR kit is a whole lot easier (and cheaper!) than adding an 1080mm.

I wish I had the Q last spring when I discovered a Cooper's Hawk nest, but couldn't get any closer than @ 150 ft. . .

Scott
02-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Wow! That is pretty neat shooting! Enjoy that, I know I would.
Regards!

02-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Very nice example.

I just tried out my Q with a DA 55-300.

Not as good as the 300mm F4 but not bad & cheaper, with zoom flexibility
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are impressive. Does the Q give you a focus lock indicator when using the adapter and DA lens?
02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Does the Q give you a focus lock indicator when using the adapter and DA lens?
HI ivoire,

No it doesn't. It's unfortunate, but there are quite a few features that are missing when it comes to using adapted lenses with the Q. I feel that this is an area where Pentax should have had some high priorities in development, but they tripped up a bit. There are workarounds, but really shouldn't have to be. At least focus assist magnification is available by pressing the OK button, and this makes gaining critical focus quite a bit easier, especially with the added DOF of the small sensor.

It's been suggested that Pentax is waiting for their own K to Q adapter before they release firmware fixes related to adapter use. I hope they either introduce their own adapter or release the firmware fixes sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I've developed usable workarounds for just about everything.

I've both written and e-mailed Pentax USA concerning this, but have received not replies as yet.

Scott

02-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the pictures barondla.
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When i git my hands on a PK/Q adapter my 55 will be the new 300 i'll be shooting some sports with....
02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

300mm f1.4 is the new hotness!
09-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi barondla,

A good illustration of how adding a Q and K to Q adapter into your DSLR kit is a whole lot easier (and cheaper!) than adding an 1080mm.
Very true, but your math is wrong. 5.6x crop factor means a 300mm is an effective 1680mm !
09-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
When i git my hands on a PK/Q adapter my 55 will be the new 300 i'll be shooting some sports with....
Would be interested i your results. As I understand it, focusing with adapted lenses on the Q is a methodical process, and you have no SR plus there is shutter lag.

Hopefully good results can be achieved. I've been waiting for the Q price to drop significantly and the Pentax adapter to be available before buying to experiment.
09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Very true, but your math is wrong. 5.6x crop factor means a 300mm is an effective 1680mm !
Hi cheekygeek,

I was using the Q's "crop factor" compared to APS-C (@ 3.6x), not to 24x36 -- the equivalent FL that I'd have to use with any of my Pentax DSLRs. It's a more relevant comparison for me, but you're right, I should have mentioned it in my post.

Scott
09-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Would be interested i your results. As I understand it, focusing with adapted lenses on the Q is a methodical process, and you have no SR plus there is shutter lag.

Hopefully good results can be achieved. I've been waiting for the Q price to drop significantly and the Pentax adapter to be available before buying to experiment.
Ever since i got the Q, it's all i used for anything photographically, i went to a birthday the other day and took my LX5, all i did was video, my X100 hasn't seen outside since and my DSLR is collecting dust...the only other camera i've used more is my iphone

I'm hoping Pentax announces (RELEASES SOON) a nice wide angle lens, the fisheye i like but a nice wide angle with AF would be a welcomed addition to this stealth camera. No one notices this camera except for that guy one time at the Cherry Blossom meet but i think he's an photo-nut or most likely a closet Pentaxian
09-07-2012, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
No one notices this camera except for that guy one time at the Cherry Blossom meet but i think he's an photo-nut or most likely a closet Pentaxian
I am no such thing... I'm a Proud Pentaxian!

See, I was the one who noticed it:

Last edited by panoguy; 09-07-2012 at 04:33 PM.