Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
like the really dumb old adapters for early video cameras that had an insert that went in the battery compartment. They used todo crap like that so they could sell you an adapter for $300

The 4 or 5 thousand dollar Canon XL series interchangeable lens videocameras are not that early and also went that route

05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect the next gen camera will have SR on adapted lenses, though I question being able to use a 50mm or 70mm lens handheld anyway. This is the focal length equivalent of a 300mm lens or a 400mm lens (or near enough, anyway) on 35mm.
Without the stabilizing weight that goes along with those focal lengths on the larger format, it's probably a fools game to try hand holding lenses of that focal length on the Q.
same thing I thought, all the telephoto setups with the Q I've seen are from people like zygonyx with like no joke tele setups on bad ass tripods... With just the 25mm Sonnetar you gotta have a pretty steady hand, past that you need a tripod...
05-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #183

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had success using a 135mm f/2.8 handheld, that sort of lens balances very well in the hand on the Q. The panning shot shows off the rolling shutter effect very nicely...I can't wait for the OEM K-Q adapter to get rid of that.

05-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The 4 or 5 thousand dollar Canon XL series interchangeable lens videocameras are not that early and also went that route
All the video cams went that route until the early 2000's. Sony was really bad they distributed cameras with adapters that were 110v only and if you needed a 220v for travel they dinged you $300 (even on the cheapest cameras) that didn't change until the mid 90's. Another $300 for a dc adapter to use in the car. they had you buy the short and curlies in the pre internet shop from china age

05-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #185
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
What new kit bundles? The double lens kit (prime + zoom) has been around since last year, are they now bundling the toy lenses?
You can now buy the Q with just the 5-15 zoom. A shame to buy it that way imho. Have to check the sheet to see if the #01 prime is available seperately. If not, kind of tough if you want it later.

Just ordered more Q. It isn't discontinued in the US.
thanks
barondla

Q owners, don't forget to check out the point and shoot contest in the compact cameta forum and enter some pics in the current contest.
05-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #186

One question: Why did they put such a small sensor in it and then put that pricetag on it? I do not see one in my future
05-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #187
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by keithz Quote
One question: Why did they put such a small sensor in it and then put that pricetag on it? I do not see one in my future

05-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #188
Pentaxian

It's not a cheaply built plastic camera. The sensor size doesn't seem to have much of an adverse effect on image quality. I don't see what your point is.

05-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #189
Forum Member

Next time I'll hear someone telling that "such a small sensor" story, I think I'll find it really hard to keep my temper
05-05-2012, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #190
Veteran Member

I've held all the cameras out today, I have local camera stores I go to window shop and handle the expensive toys. Every other mirrorless camera on the market feels extremely cheap compared to the Q, the nikon and panasonic cameras if stupid enough to do, can be snapped like a PS2 controller during a game of demon souls. The fuji's feel a little better but still not up to the standards of the Q, the sony's below the nex-7 are just garbage feeling, again like a PS2 controller. The nex-7 feels like a PSP, not cheap, but not solid like a camera, the new wave of mirrorless cameras are serious junk, they may have good internals but they are now just like computers and laptops, disposable garbage that'll ruin the planet with it's non biodegradable material, kinda like what happened to the alienware brand when I get bought by dell. I believe the new pentax mirrorless cameras are the best solidly built mirrorless cameras out, point blank period, if sensors could last forever so would the new pentax mirrorless cameras...

EDIT: I've also heard people say this "why dont they just put the internals of a mirrorless in an SLR, it wouldnt feel so plasticy", because it's not cost effective to make make things out of steel or magnesium alloy unless it's a professional product, but pentax went and did that with both of the mirrorless cameras, one magnesium alloy and one machined aluminum. It's the same thing as buying a pair of $100 dollar jordans over some $350 redwings, one has brand name and support, one has quality and a cult following...

Last edited by wanderography; 05-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.
05-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried Jezza's yesterday when we met for a pint, it really is a fantastic little camera, meters better than my k7 does. so small but very well built. I was looking at this one on Craigslist and he beat me too it, wish i'd been a little faster but happy it went to a forum member
05-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #192
Veteran Member

glad you enjoyed it eddie

its a fun little toy
05-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #193

great review above, in Sydney as well

Question| do those $50 K adapters on ebay work?
05-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #194
Site Supporter

Junototoro, the RJ adapters with aperture control work fine. The tripod mount could be better. Get one and join the monster tele club. It is so much fun.

thanks
barondla
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Day 1 owning a Q second hand, and my first impressions are that I like it a lot. I turned off all the extra features (Shadow Comp, Distortion Correction) and have it pretty much at standard settings. It gives quite good results at ISO 1600, even up to ISO 2500 - pretty much on par in that dept with my K20D. Metering is lovely. The camera feels amazing in the hand - just enough heft to let you know that it's there, but it's never encumbering, and it's so small! The body feels like it'll last a long time. I think I'll need to buy a second battery for it.

At this point, it's somewhere in the $350 range on the used market, so if you were waiting for it to get down to $400 to buy, it's a good time to jump in. And all this to say, if people just put their hands on it, they would probably buy one.

Last edited by icywindow; 05-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.