Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #106
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q system is right and good move of Pentax. Pentax offered the new version of high-end P&S cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Q is the revival of Pentax line of high-end compacts.

I think that new Q2 will be soon - even better than Q.

04-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #107

It looks to me that the Q operates in a very narrow market, as it is a different concept compared to the APS-C range of products that is now extensively promoted. It is not an APS-C camera, not a point & shoot, and not an X10 / GRD IV alike. All of these you find here in on stock in the shops, hardly any Q's.

The concept is daring, and as the quality of the sensors will improve in time it could have a long life ahead of it.
It invites to experiment with photography, a remark I have seen a number of times in these forums already. I would have to agree.

I own a Q now for a couple of weeks.
04-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In fact the Q seems to be for people who want a interchangeable lens system (DSLR-addict ?) and a compact in the same time.

I do a lot of climbing, and photo gear is a bit a pain to take care off (weight, setup, etc ...), this Q could be a very good way of getting a simplier life for me.

I WANT A Q !
04-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
I WANT A Q !
All you need is cash. Or a credit card.

04-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #110
Veteran Member

For me, I don't think the Q is a failure, for me it's a success - it is the compacts that are the dying breed, as phonecam IQ grows exponentially by the years.

The Q can substantially replace all P&S as the compact interchangeable (with the exception of the WG series it is the are "adventure" type-nothing matches it in terms of ruggedness), all its successor has to be is be more P&S-shooter friendly, and have a better kit lens with a bigger range equivalent, say like a 28-135, like in Panasonic FZ's (not matching the ultra-zoom range though just up to 135 is good).

This way, since enthusiasts are going to be more likely moving from phone to camera, the Q will be the best transition camera to introduce users to interchangeable systems. From phonecam -> compact ILC, users can then branch off in their upgrade- to either the mirrorless option (K-01 line) or K- SLR line.
04-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
For me, I don't think the Q is a failure, for me it's a success - it is the compacts that are the dying breed, as phonecam IQ grows exponentially by the years.

all its successor has to be is be more P&S-shooter friendly, and have a better kit lens with a bigger range equivalent
Thats what I do not want to see and hope pentax does not go that route and just give the next Q the necessary upgrades it needs. So far its pretty obvious the route pentax went, it was released with a standard fast prime with a super huge leica quality OVF. It was def aimed at the professional market of people who wanted a pocket camera, they dont care about super zooms or super autofocus they want quality primes. At first people were saying it was a digital 110, which it obviously wasn't, its a miniature digital M camera. Everything I think pentax had expected and hoped for with this camera has yet to be realized by the consumers. It's a pocket digital SLR thats reflects the use and class that the M series had, it was never meant to be a beginners camera, they understand that its a super niche product, and it's niche is for people who want that nostalgic quality M feel in pocket form, and theres nothing more fun than running around with a mini pentax mx that can take quality photographs. And as a side note, when I'm wandering SF shooting it's the hassey and leica guys who always want to play with my Q not the canikons, this camera was aimed at people who have a class and soul in there photography... A perfect sidekick to a Pentax MX/LX, Olympus OMD, or Leica M6...
04-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #112
Veteran Member

I've heard the Q is quite popular with designer wasn't there a blog from a stylist that used the Q for taking photos at fashion weekend?

04-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #113

Although the Q momentarily has it faults, no remote control in bulb, no manual FL input, no hss, no wireless flash, it's the best compact i used to date. This because it gives the user the full control on the output.This can be extended with a bunch of good lenses. If Pentax fails to build up strong excellent primes, and good all day use zooms, the Q will fail in the long run.

The Q system could be "the second system" for a lot of enthusiastic photographers, so Pentax build on an excellent system..and don't wait to long. Traditionally Pentax is very good at this waiting game, but more often then not it will result in: "to little to late".
04-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #114
Veteran Member

I attached the original strap to q and take it with me always everywhere.
It is exceptionally capable in expressing my feelings as it clicks away following my eyes and mood. It is almost always in b&w bold, because I like high contrast with eliminating distracting detail.

I found my match,
for when I am running and not wanting to think, but only to move.

It behaves like a pro in musea, which I like to explore.
It is equally at home at the cemetary where my family is.
And it follows me everywhere on my daily routes. It has no complaints, it requires no extra skills, it utters no criticism, it simply sofly complies to my clicking needs.

And it is silent and unobtrusive,

its only negative is its hunger for batteries. I have fed it 4.

Q only fails if I don't use it.
04-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #115

Yes it is hungry for batteries. In fact anyone considering buying a Q should consider buying 1-2 additional batteries as well.

I don't consider it that much of a negative, as a battery is quickly replaced. Pentax should consider to put a spare in the box.
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #116

So I am a bit stuck. I want to buy a Pentax Q, but I just don't know how I feel about spending as much on a Q as I did with my K-r. Second, as a photography major, I really, really could use a beefier camera but I hesitate with the K-5 because a new one may come out sometime this or next year.

Here is what I currently have. A K-r with a DA*16-50 and a DA*50-135. A few spare batteries, memory cards, tripods, etc, but that's about it from a camera's perspective. I think I am covered for lenses for the most part. The lenses are fast enough and good enough to replace a few primes and other lenses, at least at this time.

The thing about the Q is that it is incredibly small which means I will always be able to have it with me. The fact that it shoots raw and has interchangeable lenses which from what I have seen, look actually very good and are very sharp, make it something very desirable indeed. I think, being a photographer would mean having different cameras for different jobs and just strolling around, I would rather walk around with a Q than a K-r with a huge lens and a 540FGZ. That being said, if I take a trip, I will take my camera with me, I just mean for the day to day missed opportunities like neat but fleeting cloud patterns.

I just hope there isn't a price drop planned soon nor a Q2. As it stands, a Q with WR would be huge, but as none of the current lenses are WR, I doubt that would be in the works without having to revisit the current lenses. What do you guys think?
04-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
So I am a bit stuck..... What do you guys think?
Don't be.
Be bold.
Don't worry,
be free.
Don't think too much,
Q doesn't either.

Have one,
turn it inside out,
use it always, everywhere,
you can.

Q is a magnet
that draws you inside yourself
to see a complex world
and then offers it back to you
in never seen before
pictures.

True q - uality.

It is not wr,
a successor may appear
dreams can always be shattered
fears always rule

You be resistant
and persistant
you will be
once wielding
Q.

--

Crazy answer,
simply happened
04-21-2012, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #118

I used to be in doubt if I should take my DSLR on simple trips. Now it is a no brainer as I have the Q with me almost always. But even more importantly, I actually use the camera more. Even when I had my Canon DSLR with me I was a bit reluctant to take it out in some occasions. Too much hassle, too intrusive, ... maybe. With the Q I find myself taking more pictures, being more at ease doing it. Also I find it inviting more to creativity. Right now I am very happy with it and hope Pentax will actually bring out new models. The Q will then get more traction and that will eventually translate in more lenses, adaptors, etc.
04-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kryscendo, get the Q. You won't beleive how much it becomes part of your life. It will make a perfect addition to your other equipment. The 50-135 will be an awesome tele on the Q.

Yes the Q costs as much as the Kr. But it is built more like the K5. It is one rugged little camera. I don't think Pentax is bringing out another Q for a while. They don't really need a Q2 at this stage. We know a K5 replacement is coming.
thanks
barondla
04-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Q has become my "go to" personal travel system.

Qucik story at the Cherry Blossom meet some random dude came at me asking "is that The Q?" I was actually shocked someone sans camera knew what it was ...that's never happened to me before. Now why wasn't it some hot girl?!!!?!!!?!!!