Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q a Failure?

So, comparing all the hype that the K-01 has already generated to the amount of Q users we've accumulated over the past 6 months, what are your thoughts?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Considering the price of the Q and the price of the K-01 and the specs, I know what I would pick anyday.

I think the K-01 will cannibalize the Q.
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax makes a cute little camera "why did Pentax makes this camera? For fashion? It's terrible!" Pentax makes a useful camera "why did Pentax make this camera? It's ugly!" I'll admit the VF thing, but honestly...
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if I'd buy a K-01 (since I have a K-5), but I am interested and it's certainly caught my attention. I never had a single thought about buying a Q.

I'm certainly not in a position to say for certain, but the Q kind of seems like a failure to me (on several levels).

02-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You know i use Flickr as an unscientific gauge for model popularity...i don't see any Pentax Q postings...none...nada that said i'm really too lazy to change my avatar so at some point i'm either going to show some love and get it or change my avatar
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought I'd heard that the Q sells like crazy in Japan and China, sells as many as are made, supply can't keep up with demand. True or false or what? If the Q makes no impression on the rest of the world but still turns a tidy profit, why worry?
02-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Q - I'll have to remember to ask my regular Shanghai Pentax retailer when I'm there next. Interesting question. I asked her about the Kr and she told me that Red was her best selling colour (followed by Black and then White).

As for whether it is a failure or success : ask Pentax if they are making money out of it

02-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the Q ,have one with 01 + 02 and love it for what it is!
a marvel in engineering, my friends compare it to Leica or Epson R-D1x rangefinder , very small and I can understand that OVF or EVF is not feasible.

now, the new Pentax K-01, well ...Art deco design, that's OK, I actually like it, but ......where is an OVF or EVF????
useless without it,
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Its an interesting post! The Pentax K-01 is a very different camera than the PentaxQ, and I might be interested in the K01. I've never paid much attention to the "Q" because it has small sensor, and its expensive, and it has a limited set of lenses. For these compact sensor cameras, for me personally, a non-interchangeable lens makes a lot more sense, rather than a Pentax Q. I don't expect much from my small sensor camera, I have a Canon A1200, which costs 95 dollars, runs on "AA" batteries, and includes a viewfinder! The Pentax Q at B&H costs 700 dollars???? Ok, its got a tiny F/1.9 lens, and a bigger lcd screen. I might buy a Nikon P300 someday, its got an F/2 lens at the 24mm equivalent wide end, and also has a bigger screen, and costs less than half what the "Q" costs. From my point of view, the next step up after that is the Olympus xz-1, with a slightly bigger sensor, and a fast F/1.8 lens, which to me makes a lot more sense than any m43rds bought only with a kit zoom lens.

So, having established that I have little interest in m43rds with only the kit zoom lens, it quickly follows that I have no interest in the Pentax Q. Caveat: I don't do HD video yet, and I don't know what the tradeoffs are. But for still images, an m43rds with a 20mm F/1.7 is semi-interesting, and m43rds has some other nice lenses. Imho, the Pentax K-01 with a 40mm F/2.8 is equally interesting, because I already own a full lineup of other Pentax lenses, and I don't yet own the 40mm pancake.

So yeah, the K-01 is interesting to me because it has nice video features (which I don't use yet), and a 16megapixel high dynamic range sensor, and it goes with a lens system I'm already invested in. The biggest problem for me is Pentax limited lenses are too expensive, and they don't have a pancake 28mm lens. Maybe the rumored 22-38 limited zoom will fix that. Also, I'll probably wait for the K-02, and buy the new DA40 lens for my K-x.
- Shel
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I actually handled the Q yesterday and I have to say .. it is too small for me. My thumb completely covered the 4-way !
02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pentax makes a cute little camera "why did Pentax makes this camera? For fashion? It's terrible!" Pentax makes a useful camera "why did Pentax make this camera? It's ugly!" I'll admit the VF thing, but honestly...
+1 +3
02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Q = Lost opportunity

When Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji and Sony were out there defining and refining mirrorless compacts, Pentax was building a toy. Why do i consider it a toy, 2 of the optional lenses have "toy" in their description.

I admit, different cultures have different values - but thats my gut reaction.
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, but I definitely have to disagree, or, to answer the question: I guess/hope not.

It's undeniable that the owner of this forum disliked the Q and showed his disappointment, fair enough, even though I wonder why, but, who cares

But seeing the K-01 the Q makes even more sense, I would say Why?
Those wanting a mirrorless with the highest possible IQ with K-mount have got this now, those wanting a really pocketable travel camera with high to good enough IQ can have the Q.

I must say, I have awaited the K-01 to be presented and to my surprise I got even more biased towards the Q. The K-01 could have been a compact travel system inbetween APS-C cams like K-r/x/m and the Q, but it isn't. To put it right, I do think the K-01 has found a solid position, but regarding compactness and discreetness it can't beat a Q.

The K-01 is good enough to help reconsider the wish for a m4/3 cam or an APS-C mirrorless, an It would tear me away from those immediately. There is not so much difference between those systems and the bonus of using my K-mount lenses is priceless.

But the cam you don't have with you can't make images, and that is the hot spot of the Q-system. High quality built, good ergonomics, RAW-format, shake reduction, 2 excellent lenses (photozone tests show the lowest corner degradation for the zoom 02 of all lenses I have seen), neat technical details (ND-filter built in, leaf shutter), some fun with adapted K-mount lenses, compatibility with accessoires (flash, O-GPS1?)...

I was looking for a travel camera to just put in my luggage and forget, fit for occasional travel snapshots, architectural photography (corner sharpness!, better more DOF!) and museum photography (no flash allowed, SR), unobtrusive and high class finish.

The best thing I think the Q has? The Q mount, giving Pentax a plattform for small but good enough sensors, be it this BSI-sensor (which is capable of amazing things - e.g. Fashion photography with Q or slightly larger Sensors with new technology to come. At this size it is more likely that advances in sensor dvelopment and new technologies can be adapted way earlier than at the larger formats. From the images i would think that a slightly larger sensor is possible, we will see. Taking into account that this could bring amazing high iso capabilities, per pixel sharpness, even new technologies (like foveon - at this size affordable ) the only systemic disadvantage is going to be the higher DOF. For those who can live with that amazing things are possible. Looking really forward to a Q²!

Will it die? I hope not, who with some rest of sanity could wish something like this, even if it could not fit his bill at all

Disclaimer: I don't have it (yet) was waiting for the announcement of the APS-C-CCS and are still awaiting CP+ to have a look on the impact of the new announcements on the Q's price. But I would hate to see this option go away.

Last edited by MMVIII; 02-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd love to see Pentax drop the price. At $399 with the kit lens it would tear into Canon's S100/G1X market, as well as much of the M4/3 market.

I think it's a fantastic idea; a reincarnation of the Auto110. I want one, but I think it's too expensive.

I'd like to see more lenses for the camera (a telephoto lens that isn't fixed at f/8 or 1/13 sync), maybe a Q-2 with an EVF, etc. The system has a lot of promise to me.
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too was wondering if the price of the Q would drop once the K-01 was announced or was available. I like the idea of the Q and have been tempted to buy it. Now I am thinking of waiting to see the entirety of what Pentax will release in the way of new dSLRs and how the K-01 performs in real life before splurging to get something new from Pentax. But the Q still intrigues me and is tempting to buy!