Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #151

It's the little things that worry me, the roadmap might exist but there are already signs that Pentax is backtracking. One of the reasons I purchased the Q was to do lengthy (days, not hours) time-lapse videos as there was supposed to be an AC adapter designed specifically for the Q. Searched for it online, also while in London and Hong Kong over this winter, nowhere could I buy one. Has anyone seen/used it in real life? Enough said. I have had to invest in a camcorder now to do what Pentax had led me to believe I could do with the Q and an official accessory. For me this (maybe insignificant to most users) failure to produce what was already announced very early on indicates that Pentax is not really committed to the Q.

04-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
It's the little things that worry me, the roadmap might exist but there are already signs that Pentax is backtracking. One of the reasons I purchased the Q was to do lengthy (days, not hours) time-lapse videos as there was supposed to be an AC adapter designed specifically for the Q. Searched for it online, also while in London and Hong Kong over this winter, nowhere could I buy one. Has anyone seen/used it in real life? Enough said. I have had to invest in a camcorder now to do what Pentax had led me to believe I could do with the Q and an official accessory. For me this (maybe insignificant to most users) failure to produce what was already announced very early on indicates that Pentax is not really committed to the Q.
the ac adapters for all models seem to be near vapourware.Very hard to find. Not having a Q I can't see what the connector is but inmany cases you can find one of the multi voltage multi tip that can be used with a product (at least that was my retail experience)
The alternative is to Contact Pentax support about it. Some of the items in the manuals are actually sold as parts not retail items (the diopters for slrs come to mind)
04-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Q AC adapter is a bit different eddie, it has a battery shaped adapter that goes into the battery compartment, with a adapter tail hanging out which you connect to a std ac wall unit.. Possible to rig something up, but would require some sort of fabrication rather than just grabbing a compatible wall adapter unfortunately
04-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
The Q AC adapter is a bit different eddie, it has a battery shaped adapter that goes into the battery compartment, with a adapter tail hanging out which you connect to a std ac wall unit.. Possible to rig something up, but would require some sort of fabrication rather than just grabbing a compatible wall adapter unfortunately
like the really dumb old adapters for early video cameras that had an insert that went in the battery compartment. They used todo crap like that so they could sell you an adapter for $300

04-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #155

I see plenty of other Pentax AC adapters everywhere, online and in shops, even in my little Estonia. Only the version for the Q is still nowhere to be purchased, although announced early on. Weird.
04-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
I see plenty of other Pentax AC adapters everywhere, online and in shops, even in my little Estonia. Only the version for the Q is still nowhere to be purchased, although announced early on. Weird.
try emailing Pentax support locally. If that doesn't get a satisfactory response try emailing the Canadian support - they won't answer you but someone in the US was getting no answer so he tried Canada and the US sent him what he was looking for for free as a customer service gesture i think
04-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So everyone keeps saying price is the issue. Adorama has it for a great price right now that I think should have been around the price point for the Q all along.

Also really would love to see the Q in Target. There were rumours of Pentax striking a deal with Target I think I saw on here. And I think the Q would be a PERFECT fit for them. Stylish, small, compact, trendy, appealing to trendy moms that want more flexibility than a point and shoot but want something small to put in their purse or take pictures of the kids. Make a really neat display to showcase the size and awesomeness and it would sell like hotcakes I think! Like others have said, I just think that Pentax does a pretty horrible job of marketing itself in the USA. One TV commercial with a busy mom using the Q or getting it on a show like Ellen or Oprah to give away to their audiences and it would be the biggest selling camera on the market! If the moron Kutcher can get people to buy Nikons...come on Pentax!!

04-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #158
Banned

QuoteQuote:
One TV commercial with a busy mom using the Q or getting it on a show like Ellen or Oprah to give away to their audiences and it would be the biggest selling camera on the market! If the moron Kutcher can get people to buy Nikons...come on Pentax!!
Apple sells 400,000 iPhones a day and it is the #1 camera on flickr so I don't think busy moms would get the Q if they have an iPhone that shoots good enough stills and 1080p HD video for most users. I am sure Nikon would still sell millions of entry level DSLRs like the new D3200 even without Kutcher.
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Christine might get a Pentax Q now
LOL - it does look very pretty :ugh:

I nearly bought the Q when it was first released. The main thing that stopped me was the slow write times and the LCD screen didn't exactly impress me.

Does anyone know if firmware 1.01 has improved write times? If it does, I am willing to give it another try.
04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Im a slow shooter also think LF Unfortunately i updated the first day i got the camera so i don't know if its faster? Im also a slow shooter think MF/LF speeds

*in the process of doing a video of the buffer...i suck at those too so hold tight* check back here in a bit

Just for you Christine...it's the best my laziness is willing to do...lol

Last edited by Clicker; 04-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
04-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Just for you Christine...it's the best my laziness is willing to do...lol

302 Found
Thanks a lot! I would have been too lazy to even do the video!

Still pretty slow then :evil:

I really don't like the screen blanking when it's writing out the buffer (and from memory, the camera is unusable until the screen comes back on?)

My NEX-5N keeps on shooting even when writing out the buffer - it will take a shot as soon as there is enough room to store an image (even when the camera is still flushing out the buffer).
04-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #162
Veteran Member

I know it was pretty hard to see but i had set the camera to "Continuous high, H" and had my finger on the shutter button so the screen would remain blank, i'll redo the video properly with just single shot and continuous later today. On single shots it seems instant which i didn't record.
04-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #163
Veteran Member

looking again

... you're right might be slow for some but i'm still happy with mine ....i can still see you getting the "Pink Package" though

04-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #164

So I just found out that the Q uses the Kodak Klic 7004 battery. You can buy those at Best Buy for $20.

Just throwing this out there, but you might be able to buy a Kodak Klick 7004 AC adapter instead. It is actually the same battery as the Pentax and I believe the Fuji NP50. Funny how they all jump on the same battery band wagon.

Last edited by Kryscendo; 04-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.
04-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #165
ogl
Banned

it VERY small, fast, well built, with fixed lens and RAW. and it can make good photos in RAW....for P&S camera.