Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #196

My Pentax Q packaging has a list of accessories and that includes the AC adapter. Almost a year after the camera announcement I am still waiting for that incredibly technologically complicated (NOT) additional device to become actually available, ahem. And trust me, I have searched, online and offline, across the globe - literally, from London to Hong Kong. Pentax has plenty of these things out there for much less prominent cameras, so why not for the Q yet? If they can't deliver on the promise of a simple AC adapter, how are we supposed to trust them that they will develop the Q line?

Last edited by Kirill_est; 05-30-2012 at 12:39 AM.
05-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #197
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
My Pentax Q packaging has a list of accessories and that includes the AC adapter. Almost a year after the camera announcement I am still waiting for that incredibly technologically complicated (NOT) additional device to become actually available, ahem. And trust me, I have searched, online and offline, across the globe - literally, from London to Hong Kong. Pentax has plenty of these things out there for much less prominent cameras, so why not for the Q yet? If they can't deliver on the promise of a simple AC adapter, how are we supposed to trust them that they will develop the Q line?

QuoteQuote:
Product Highlights
For Use With Pentax Q System
AC Power Supply for Extended Use

The Pentax K-AC115 AC Adapter Kit is for use with the Pentax Q mirrorless camera. It enables you to use your camera for long periods of time without draining the camera's battery.
Price: $99.95 Free Shipping (USA)

In Stock
B&H # PEKAC115 Mfr# 38946
Pentax K-AC115 AC Adapter Kit 38946 B&H Photo Video
05-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #198

Yesssss, thanks, it is finally in stock across the pond, just about when I was losing all hope. I am off to look for European stock now, closer to home.
06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #199

Pentax Q, what are your thoughts?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So, comparing all the hype that the K-01 has already generated to the amount of Q users we've accumulated over the past 6 months, what are your thoughts?
I still think that the title of this forum is very much biased. A more balanced "Pentax Q, what are your thoughts?" would be in my opinion more appropriate.
This because there are obviously two parties, lovers and haters. Neither have sales data, so we started a conversation in which some people defend what has been implicitly and possibly wrongly stated, and others just agree with the title.
I remind that Ricoh-Pentax hasn't decided to discontinue it yet, at the opposite: new lenses are on the way meaning that the Q is profitable enough to be sold.
The fact that in the US isn't well sold doesn't mean that it's a failure: the world isn't just US.

Haters gonna hate

Last edited by ElStellino; 06-05-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: mistake.
06-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought one in the UK. £250 with a toy lens thrown in, that's $380 in toy money. My initial thoughts are that's it's worth every penny.
06-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the title of this thread was a bit silly, presumptuous at best. Nonetheless, having bought my 01/02 kit secondhand and having carted it halfway round the world (along with my K-5 and a bag full of lenses) I can't say I'd begin to call it a failure. I was looking for a battery in Salzburg yesterday (I didn't find one) but the local Leica dealer here seemed impressed with it (that won't cut much ice with some, I know, but this was a three-generation business so they must have some grasp of their subject).
What's impressed me most have been the quality of the images (I'm shooting RAW+) and the noise-reduction algorithm for high ISO shooting in JPEG. I can't come close to the latter in CS3 based on the RAW images.
Must find time to get some images up on Flickr.
06-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #202

Problems with the screen in sunlight?

via Naga_photos on flickr

06-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I just ordered mine; I already own 2 K5, but I wanted a really pocketable, light camera to bring with me during bicycle rides; how many times I said myself, what a nice panorama, if I only had my camera with me !
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Well I just ordered mine; I already own 2 K5, but I wanted a really pocketable, light camera to bring with me during bicycle rides; how many times I said myself, what a nice panorama, if I only had my camera with me !
I do get tired of carrying my messenger bag with a body and 3-4 primes sometimes and leave it home - those of course are the days i go D*mn that would be a nice shot
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
... I wanted a really pocketable, light camera to bring with me during bicycle rides ...
QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
Problems with the screen in sunlight?
via Naga_photos on flickr
Nice and pocketable?
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #206

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Nice and pocketable?
lol, my post was sarcastic
That one is neither nice nor pocketable
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #207
Forum Member

Just bought one used on Amazon for $315!
09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #208

QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:

So, comparing all the hype that the K-01 has already generated to the amount of Q users we've accumulated over the past 6 months, what are your thoughts?
I still think that the title of this forum is very much biased. A more balanced "Pentax Q, what are your thoughts?" would be in my opinion more appropriate.
This because there are obviously two parties, lovers and haters. Neither have sales data, so we started a conversation in which some people defend what has been implicitly and possibly wrongly stated, and others just agree with the title.
I remind that Ricoh-Pentax hasn't decided to discontinue it yet, at the opposite: new lenses are on the way meaning that the Q is profitable enough to be sold.
The fact that in the US isn't well sold doesn't mean that it's a failure: the world isn't just US.

Haters gonna hate
So, it seems that the Pentax Q system wasn't a failure, considering that a new Q10 is coming out:
Pentax Q10 specs, K-5 IIs without anti-aliasing filter | Photo Rumors
Can we change the title to this thread, now?

Please note also the K-5 II-s at the end of the page.
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the Q has been a failure in Pentax marketing, but it is certainly NOT a failure as a camera. I'm now a K-5 owner, but my latest "accessory" purchase was a Q with 8.5mm f1.8. Why would I consider a K-01 as a k-5 owner? But the Q *extends* my capabilities, in addition to being my "on me at all times camera". The small sensor gives me super-telephoto with lenses I already have, like the Tokina At-X 80-200mm f2.8. It gives me super DOF with my Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 macro. It has a lot of similar functions as my K-5, like exposure bracketing. And dang it is fun. So unnoticeable that it has made possible a new genre of inside-store "street photography" for me. If you don't get the Q... Well you are like me, who couldn't get past the "too small sensor" for a long time. (it's not just a small sensor, it's a Sony Exmor-R... Big difference.)
09-12-2012, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #210
Pentaxian

I get the sense that the Q sales have been picking up quite a bit lately. I recently bought one myself and I cannot seem to get enough of it. This is the first digital camera I have owned in a very long time that has excited me this much. It is very small so I have a hard time taking it seriously myself. So I can see why others have trouble taking it seriously. Every couple of days I pull out one of my other cameras because I just cannot believe that this camera can do such a great job. But it just keeps on surprising me.

Obviously, it has some things I think I would change if I could. Like using the display screen to frame the image. It is quite bright but obviously it can get very, very tough to see it when the sun is bright. I have the viewfinder, and it is quite nice for what it is, but it is not electronically connected to the camera so there is no data in the viewfinder. You cannot even tell if you have focused on the right thing or not. Likewise, when you switch lenses to something besides the normal prime, you are guessing what you are actually framing if you work only with the optical viewfinder. So far I have been able to make all this work but it has taken some adjustment. It is certainly better than nothing, but there are some challenges. I can understand why some have begun using Hoodman style devices on the display.

Another problem is dynamic range. I am learning how to work with it but I always have to be very aware of the range between light and dark. Face it, although this little sensor does a terrific job, it still has limitations. There are other little niggling issues, but nothing major. In reality Pentax did a stunning job with this little camera and I suspect that it will become more and more popular.

So far I am very happy with the prime and the little zoom. I am also looking forward to getting the new larger zoom that is coming. But when I attach my Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar using my Leica Thread Mount (LTM) adapter and see just how nice that lens really is, I am stunned. I have attached one of my recent pictures below to give as an example. It is not really a great shot, but it does show what can be done. This image was taken with a 90mm lens, which is the 35mm equivalent of 500mm. The reason I attached it was because of the background, which is extremely ugly. If you could see it!! When can you remember the last time you were able to take a camera with a sensor this small, and blur out the background this nicely? I have done absolutely nothing with this image but resize it.

I know that things are different today, but I look at my little Q like my Leica IIIc. Contrary to what Leica fans would have you believe, the early Leica cameras were not perfect. They had a number of problems that still exist. But they took a new film format and provided a camera and lenses that were capable of producing images that were good enough to successfully compete with the medium format cameras that ruled the world at that time. And it was much smaller than the other cameras of the day. Even the Contax, which was produced to compete with it, was larger than the Leica. The Q is not perfect, but it is producing an image that is plenty good enough to compete with digital slr cameras. And it is far smaller then any of the dslr cameras out there, even the micro 4/3rds cameras. Everything else looks like a monster alongside of it.

I was thrilled to death to see the announcements from Pentax regarding the new Q 10, the new lens and the new adapter. This means that Pentax does believe in their new Q and they are not going to let it die like the LX. I immediately put my order in for the K to Q mount adapter and the new telephoto lens. As time goes on people may just look back at this little Q like people look at the Leica. I know it isn't for everyone. Many people still want their K5s and their full frame digital cameras. But to be truthful I believe that the future of digital photography belongs to the Q, and the other cameras like it, not with the K5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo