Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q for the Q & DSLR users

If you have had, or still have a DSLR, how do the images compare? Are you happy with the images the Q produces in comparison with the DSLR? Obviously there is a lot smaller sensor size to consider, but do you get by with the Q?

I am considering moving to the Q as my primary system, due to size mainly, but am unsure if I will be happy with the IQ/dynamic range etc. My DSLR is a K200D so its quite old as far as sensor tech goes. Is the Q going to be a big step down? Or does the backlit sensor make it only a small step down? What about the large DOF the small sensor gives, do you notice the difference a lot?

02-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jezza:

I have a Q along with th K5 and K200D. While the Q has decent IQ for its sensor size I personally wouldn't find the IQ enough to be my only camera. It is not up to a DSLR quality; especially in resolution.

Dale
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have KX,K7 and Q ( with 01+02).
the only my complain is the lack of viewfinder, very hard to compose in bright Australian sun but with brilliant AF I am learning to live without that
+ need to get spare battery ( US$3.99 delivered from HK) , can take only 150-170 photos on fully charged but they are very small and light.
enjoy reading, interesting stuff:

Blog: Pentax Q Stress Test: Days 6-9 and Final Thoughts.Did it survive 9 days of Fashion Week?
Stunning fashion photos on a shoestring budget from Adorama Learning Center
Pentax Q Compact System Camera Review
My Pentax Q impressions
02-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the Q and have owned nearly all Pentax DSLR's except the 645D. To my humble opinion the Q, at base ISO, is on par with the K10D. Provided one shoots in RAW.

02-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have the Q and K-7. I can make equally good photographs with the Q, but it requires a lot more thought given its limitations and the pics might not be as easily appreciated by others (you don't get that instant punch in the face that small DOF and large sensor give).
02-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

For what I wanted the Q for, it does just fine. My needs in this camera are a small camera. That's all. On a more personal level, I like things that are well built, so the Q hits that button for me. It is DSLR quality in construction. I like the interchangeable lens aspect, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it didn't have interchangeable lenses, and in some regards, a built in lens that didn't stick out so far might be nicer to carry. Being able to adapt a 35mm camera lens to it for extreme super telephoto is a fun, if not necessarily useful feature.
For me, the buttons that the Q hit are build, my love of little gadgets, and interchangeable lenses (ties in with gadgets, I suppose).
For me, the image quality really was quite far down the list, but the IQ of the Q is actually pretty good. The very deep DOF is noticeable, if you like shallow DOF, this is probably not the camera for you, but for my purposes, I don't care. At base ISO, I would put the IQ on par with the K20 and a kit zoom. The larger sensor camera will pull away quite rapidly at higher ISO, the Q is pretty much done by ISO 800.
02-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Too many options available at the moment!

I am thinking of selling my Tamron 17-50mm due to lack of use, and that would cover half the cost of the Q at least. Maybe stick with both