Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Pentax Q RAW vs JPEG

I bought the twin lens kit a couple of weeks ago and am still undecided with the Q

It is fabulous to use and size is excellent, especially given the control it offers.

I am struggling with the RAW files in Capture One and, too me, the cameras jpeg engine seems to do a better job than I can in Capture One. I always prefer to shoot RAW as, usually, it gives ultimately better IQ but I am struggling here.

Do you guys shoot RAW and, if so, what do you use to process the images. Alternatively is there anyone who uses out of camera JPEG's?

02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot raw with the Pentax Q. Only use the supplied Pentax/Silkypix to do minor adjustments and convert the Raw files to tif, then edit in PSE9. In the beginning only Pentax/Silkypix would do lens corrections. Think Photoshop CS5 can now. You want the lens corrections! Try the software bundled with the Q, it will give a basis for comparision. Few times I have shot jpeg it looks similar to Raw. Raw just eeks out a little better performane in every category.

Load the free Silkypix and enjoy the Q.
thanks
barondla
02-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks - I have run the files through Lightroom tonight and they look much better than through Capture One. This is unusual as C1 generally is my favourite RAW converter but LR definitely handles them better - also applies some lens correction which C1 does not
02-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daveproctor Quote
Thanks - I have run the files through Lightroom tonight and they look much better than through Capture One. This is unusual as C1 generally is my favourite RAW converter but LR definitely handles them better - also applies some lens correction which C1 does not
You very often get varying results with diffrent photo shops.
I use the K5 in CS4 but I dont like PS JPG conversion done in CS4 so I make Tiff images and convert the Tiff to JPG through Capture NX2.
This gives amazing quality images and Jpg with a file size around 15 mb compaired to 4mb from CS4.

02-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting thread.

You all nailed one of the worst aspects in today's post-processing: if you shoot raw, and if you want to get the maximum out of your choice, you have to try different raw converters and choose what best suits to your camera. In my case, I was perfectly satisfied with Aperture when I was using only my k-5 and my Leica X1. Now that the Q is in my bag, I found that Lightroom does a much better job in exploiting all the headroom of Q's raw files and taking care of its higher noise.

Of course, this gan give you some headache concerning the maintenance of your pictures archive, and I still have to figure out the best and more effective solution in this regard. I mean: having two (or more!) separate libraries (Aperture and Lightroom) can easily turn a pain in the a** when you shoot some 1k shots per month or more...

Right now, I am considering a mixed solution, when I store all the masters in the Lightroom library, and also import (without moving!) the masters in Aperture when needed (conforming to camera type and PP needs). Then in Lightroom I tag pictures imported in Aperture so to have a set of small folders collecting the masters that are available in Aperture for best post-processing. It's rather cumbersome, but I simply could not figure out any other solution.

About JPEG quality: at a perception level, I find some of the Q's JPEG settings rather good (especially B&W), although at a pixel level I don't really like the noise texture coming out form the JPEG engine. I suspect that a higher JPEG quality would benefit the output, hopefully that could be solved by firmware update (btw, only 3 stars in jpeg quality level, while k-5 has 4 stars range). For that reason, especially in some darker shots, I often save the RAW beside the JPEG for later editing in Nik SilverEfex.

Last edited by Paolo.Bosetti; 02-07-2012 at 06:35 AM.
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have been using Capture One because I have found that previously it has been way better than anything else in the way it handles RAW files. The only exception was MFT RAW files (Panasonic and Olympus) where I could never get the pictures to a level of sharpness that I was happy with. Lightroom 3 however does a great job on the Pentax Q files and I'll be seeing how it handles my K5 images now

The best set up I ever had was processing Leica M8 RAW files with Aperture - all I ever needed to do was adjuster the highlights and shadows and add a tiny bit of sharpening.
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,

I usually shoot in jpeg -- always have, as speed is more important to what I shoot than the full range of DR, so jpeg usually suffices. The ability to save the last shot in RAW if wanted is a great feature if I've made some exposure mistake that needs to be saved. I've found with the K-5 and Q especially, I don't like the default sharpening done in the jpeg engine as it accentuates any noise by adding additional artifacts and biases the edge contrast towards the dark, so it sometimes adds a dark outline where it shouldn't be. I've turned the NR off with the K-5 and Low for the Q, and turned the Sharpening in Custom Image to -4, and will vary with the contrast between 0 and -2. This gives me a jpeg that is very close to a base RAW to work with in PP. This works fine if you don't need or desire the extra DR range, so YMMV.

Scott

02-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I plan on shooting mainly jpegs with the Q
02-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I plan on shooting mainly jpegs with the Q
I know this may sound strange... but.....
You should try them in Capture NX !
You can develop JPGs almost like a raw in there.
Its simple to use and very very versatile and allows you
to use nikon filter set.
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys - I think I may well stick to jpeg's with the Q

The fun nature of the camera is well suited to jpeg shooting and it gives easy access to the filters. Best of all though is that jpeg quality is excellent