Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Q as backup body

What do you guys think about using a Q as a backup body for a K-5-based portrait kit? I am getting into the business and don't really want to carry two DSLRs everywhere I go. I'm not doing weddings, but if I ever do many weddings I'll get a backup K-5.

Obviously I can't use my K-5's battery or lenses (until the rumored K adapter comes), but if my K-5 craps out as it is now all I have as a backup are a P30T film SLR and an iPhone 4.

02-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In my opinion, you might be better off with the k01 as a backup over the q even with a k adapter you k mount lens has to be like 8mm focal length to even get anything portrait related. I know the k01 is not that much smaller then the kr but you get a better sensor and can recycle the k5 battery i believe. As for another toy to play with id get a q but not as a backup for semi professional or professional work.
02-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K adapter was announced yesterday as part of the CP+ list of materials (along with a LONG list of lenses)

However, with the crop factor on the Q you'd be VERY hard pressed to use it with K lenses in any portrait or other fashion. Now, as a telescope......
02-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a second body, no but as a backup it's possible with the 01+02 lenses, a second body another K5 would be ideal.

02-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed a second K-5 would be the ideal solution, but for general photo shoots (on location portraits, etc), I think a Q would be a good backup body, plus it would be a fun kick around camera. The K-5 astonishes me more and more everyday, but it's too big to take everywhere and if it craps out during a shoot I'm short without some kind of backup.

K mount lenses are a bit of a stretch, I realize. But with the adapter, it's possible. I look at some of the people on this forum that have their Qs connected to super telephotos. Such a cool idea.

It's $500 on eBay, which I think is a pretty good deal. It may drop farther, we'll see.
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

A tiny, fun, kick-around camera? - sure.

Something to fill in for a malfunctioning DSLR for work you're doing for paying customers? - I think that's asking too much.
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good way to put it, Walter. Thanks for your input. Hadn't really looked at it that way.

Perhaps the money would be better spent buying a used later model DSLR.

The only reason I entertained the thought is I know a lot of people that use a G12 or similar compact as a backup, and for quick candids.