Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q users question

Hi there Q users!
I have a question for you.
If I'm taking a photo with my APS Pentax in low-ish light and I need more depth of field, I'm forced to loose light by having to stop down. Obviously. (... or step further back or use a wider angle, I know, but bear with me and assume all same equivalent focal length...)

This is something I've always thought was an advantage of APS over 35mm cameras - you effectively get an extra stop of light by having to stop down less to get the shot.

On the q, however, it may be that you never actually need to stop down to get enough depth of field.
Therefore, the q should be pretty decent low light performer - if not on paper, but in real life. Therefore less need for higher ISO.

Is this what you've found in real world use?

02-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're correct in that depth of field at a given aperture is even larger than with APS-C. The focal length is also much shorter so you can use slower shutter speeds without getting blurred images. So less need for high ISO. Check our Q review for sample images.