Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am disappointed with their K mount adapter but only MF.
Other brand, nikon(V1), OM(M4/3 system) offers adapter to DSLR lens with AF.

02-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I am disappointed with their K mount adapter but only MF.
Spare a thought for the poor little battery in the Q
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The lens shutter will at least result in better IQ in fluorescent light, the electronic shutter picks up the oscillations and you get dark bands across the image.
Better for moving subjects/shooting from a moving vehicle too...I don't like it much when my subjects become slanted.
02-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Adapter Q for K Mount Lens

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
My own very subjective impressions of the roadmap for Q lenses:

Telephoto zoom -- looks to be something like a 55-260 or 50-300 EQ range. That's pretty good, if it's fast enough -- The Q 's sensor becomes diffraction limited at @ f4, so if it's going to perform well, it pretty much needs to be f4.5 or faster at the long end. This should have been one of the original lenses offered with the Q, to illustrate just how small the long tele EQ lenses will be on the Q. I might buy this lens to use as a walk around.

Wide prime -- looks like the ellipse is centered around 24mm EQ. Probably considered to the something to draw people like the bulk of internet photo forum members to the Q, but my bet is that it won't accomplish this. With the level of disrespect already shown for the Q, my guess is that most of these people have already made up their minds, and all they'll see in this lens is a supposedly rectilinear wide angle with significant barrel distortion and less resolution than what they get with their DSLR. so it will get a lot of scorn regardless of how good it might be. Wide angle is not a strength in the Q's concept. I'd probably not buy this lens

Telephoto prime -- I'm hoping that this will be a dedicated macro prime, and 90-95mm EQ seems to make some sense if that is the case. If it's a 2:1 or better macro, I'd buy it if it allows a reasonable working distance and is reasonably fast, otherwise, probably not. . .

Body cap prime -- we'll have to see. . .might be fun. . .

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that they didn't include their version of the K to Q adapter on this roadmap. It should be relevant, I'd think. It is rumored to have a shutter mechanism in the adapter. If it does have a shutter, I'll be buying it despite already having two working K-Q adapters. I'd like faster flash sync than is offered by the electronic shutter for macro shooting in bright ambient light conditions, and a mechanical shutter in the adapter should allow this. It also remains to be seen if a mechanical shutter might yield slightly better IQ for whatever reason. I'd like to compare to satisfy my own curiosity.

Scott
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Saw a pic of the Q<K adapter. It clearly showed a shutter in it. Pic may have been on this website.
thanks
barondla
Displayed at CP+ 2012, Yokohama

02-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Another pic of the adapter

02-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcwindfall2012 Quote
Displayed at CP+ 2012, Yokohama
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Another pic of the adapter
Nice! Thanks for these, but I have to assume they're still prototypes at this point since there's been no official announcement AFAIK.

The aperture ring is interesting as it seems to indicate that there are as many as 16 possible positions for aperture settings. My current J-R has only 6 detent positions, and they're really close together, so not convenient to set. Since the Q starts showing diffraction effects at relatively large apertures, it should be useful to have more fractional stop positions between wide open and totally stopped down.

The reason that I don't automatically assume a shutter will be included in the OEM K to Q adapter is that it seems that such a mechanism might have questionable durability since it would have to literally be exposed to the elements being located so close to the rear of the adapter as pictured, and there are normally no optical elements (which would protect it) needed in such an adapter. Hopefully, Pentax can solve this potential problem. . .without it costing too much, of course. As I stated, if it does have a shutter, I'll buy one if it's even close to reasonably priced.

Scott
08-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #22

hoping for some Q lens announcements from photokina. Waiting too long!

08-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
hoping for some Q lens announcements from photokina. Waiting too long!
I'm waiting for the official Q-to-K converter. Pentax originally said it would be released in Q1 2012!
08-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I'm waiting for the official Q-to-K converter. Pentax originally said it would be released in Q1 2012!
My source that had feedback from Pentax UK stating that the converter would be available in July, has gotten back to me in the mean time quoting that Pentax UK did not receive any more news on the subject...

As usual I'll be going to Photokina, and a question about the availability of this converter will be high on my list to ask the people at the Pentax booth. Note that I'll only manage to go the last day of the fair and that I'll only be able to speak to people in the public part of the booth. Anyway, I expect all might be clear before my visit from reports of Pentaxians who can go earlier during the week (and might have access to the restricted area for an in-depth interview?).

Wim
08-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It's very important to come out with these products in a timely manner. I got tired of waiting for that rumored wide prime lens so I sold my Q kit and bought a Sony RX100.
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My Q hasn't arrived yet... but I'm guessing there's no focus peaking for manual focus, is there? If there was, it would greatly reduce the need for auto focus with the K-to-Q adaptor.
08-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
It's very important to come out with these products in a timely manner. I got tired of waiting for that rumored wide prime lens so I sold my Q kit and bought a Sony RX100.
"where's my ice-pick?"

and to Biro sorry but you are correct.
08-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry Biro, there is no focus peaking on the Q. There is 2 or 4X screen magnification. I find this as helpful if not more than peaking. It has to be set up the first time in menu. Enjoy your Q.

Devorama, hate to lose you to Sony. When Pentax brings out all the Q stuff hope we win you back.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 08-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.
08-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snostorm, the adapter could have clear cover glass front & rear to protect the shutter. Just like the guard in the Q.
thanks
barondla
08-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Devorama, hate to lose you to Sony. When Pentax brings out all the Q stuff hope we win you back.
thanks
barondla
Don't worry, barondla. I go through cameras like crazy. I've bought and re-sold many cameras. :-) If the Q had a 28mm equivalent F/1.8 lens, I'd still have it. The closest I came was a c-mount 5mm F/1.4 lens that is manual focus. I was surprised how much difference the megapixel lenses make a difference for the c-mount lenses. I'm still trying to unload those c-mount lenses in the Marketplace. :-)

Who knows? Maybe at Photokina they'll announce the 5mm F/1.4 lens and I'll have to buy the Q back. :-) And I'm not lost to Sony completely. I still have a K-5 with a lot of k-mount glass that's my main system.