Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q lenses roadmap 2012

02-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Mount Cap Lens => should be free of charge?

Did Ricoh/Pentax people mention anything about the future of the Q?
02-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A wide zoom! that would be great :-) thanks for posting this.
02-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #4

A telephoto prime that is shorter than the already existing 100mm lens which is toy only in appearance? I think this is a mistake, they should make it around 150mm.

02-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
A telephoto prime that is shorter than the already existing 100mm lens which is toy only in appearance? I think this is a mistake, they should make it around 150mm.
Could be 85mm eq

Wheres my Macro?

Man, 3 roadmaps! Stop! Other wise expectations are gonna be for Pentax news daily instead of yearly!
02-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #6

Frankly I am surprised they did not come out with the tele zoom in the first place, alongside the "normal zoom", shows how little faith they had in the Q, hopefully things will get better now.
02-10-2012, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
Frankly I am surprised they did not come out with the tele zoom in the first place, alongside the "normal zoom", shows how little faith they had in the Q, hopefully things will get better now.
Hope so too.
Hope for a second generation, with a bit improved sensor. It will happen. I hope.
The system is too much fun for it not to happen. Its size simply has advantages.

02-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't think lack of faith was the problem. Was told, almost from the release of the Q, there was a tele zoom coming. I think the horrible Asian natural disasters delayed the zoom. Also think it is very tough to design a zoom that is critically sharp by f4 or 4.5. I hope they relax the size requirements a little to ensure a fast and sharp telezoom ( if needed). It would still be the smallest tele option of any mirrorless system and the lens that other systems can't touch. It also needs to be faster than the P&S zooms.
thanks
barondla

Exciting times for the Q and photographers.
02-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is great to see! Keen to see what the "Wide" lens eventuates into. A nice really wide prime (or maybe zoom) would make me jump on a Q purchase immediately. Something in the 20mm-ish equivalent area would be ideal for me (I do love wide!)

I think a non-toy tele in 135mm equivalent would be great to see too, as would a 85mm As fast as possible pls!

A macro would be nice to have as well though!
02-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes! It looks like the planned Wide Prime should be around 24mm. I was really hoping for something like a 35mm equivalent prime at F/1.4. I was somewhat tempted by the Toy wide lens, but F/7.1 is too limiting.
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #11

It look to me a bit strange. If i consider buying Q, then it will be only with standard prime. but i was still hoping for some ultrazoom lens, maybe covering ~28-280mm (35mm eq) with some better aperture (F2.8 to 4.5 or something like that - might not be as heavy or costs too much as it will for micro43 or apsc systems). there if, at least for me, no good reason for some telephoto zoom - thanks to 5,7× crop - it can be solved with other mount lenses (:-)). wide lens is only in plannig state, so i think that pentax Q as system is at beginning of it dying. it was borned partially death by design and i dont believe that with this current lens lineup and with such hi prizes can beat micro43 or NX systems. am i wrong?
02-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcwindfall2012 Quote
Mount Cap Lens => should be free of charge?

Did Ricoh/Pentax people mention anything about the future of the Q?
Mount cap lenses could be pinhole or zone plate lenses in which case they should not be free.
02-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q is not dying. It is growing. Heard the US supply had tightened because they were sellling so many Q in Japan. Four of my friends have bought the Q after playing with mine and seeing the results. It is a great little camera that is a little ahead of its time.
The ultrawide zoom is a lens that more experienced users tend to buy. It is no surprise that Pentax started working on it after the "meat and potato" lenses. We already have a wideangle zoom in the #02 5-15 zoom
( 28-80 eq). The ultrawide will be a welcome addition.
thanks
barondla
02-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My own very subjective impressions of the roadmap for Q lenses:

Telephoto zoom -- looks to be something like a 55-260 or 50-300 EQ range. That's pretty good, if it's fast enough -- The Q 's sensor becomes diffraction limited at @ f4, so if it's going to perform well, it pretty much needs to be f4.5 or faster at the long end. This should have been one of the original lenses offered with the Q, to illustrate just how small the long tele EQ lenses will be on the Q. I might buy this lens to use as a walk around.

Wide prime -- looks like the ellipse is centered around 24mm EQ. Probably considered to the something to draw people like the bulk of internet photo forum members to the Q, but my bet is that it won't accomplish this. With the level of disrespect already shown for the Q, my guess is that most of these people have already made up their minds, and all they'll see in this lens is a supposedly rectilinear wide angle with significant barrel distortion and less resolution than what they get with their DSLR. so it will get a lot of scorn regardless of how good it might be. Wide angle is not a strength in the Q's concept. I'd probably not buy this lens

Telephoto prime -- I'm hoping that this will be a dedicated macro prime, and 90-95mm EQ seems to make some sense if that is the case. If it's a 2:1 or better macro, I'd buy it if it allows a reasonable working distance and is reasonably fast, otherwise, probably not. . .

Body cap prime -- we'll have to see. . .might be fun. . .

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that they didn't include their version of the K to Q adapter on this roadmap. It should be relevant, I'd think. It is rumored to have a shutter mechanism in the adapter. If it does have a shutter, I'll be buying it despite already having two working K-Q adapters. I'd like faster flash sync than is offered by the electronic shutter for macro shooting in bright ambient light conditions, and a mechanical shutter in the adapter should allow this. It also remains to be seen if a mechanical shutter might yield slightly better IQ for whatever reason. I'd like to compare to satisfy my own curiosity.

Scott
02-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
My own very subjective impressions of the roadmap for Q lenses:

Telephoto zoom -- looks to be something like a 55-260 or 50-300 EQ range. That's pretty good, if it's fast enough -- The Q 's sensor becomes diffraction limited at @ f4, so if it's going to perform well, it pretty much needs to be f4.5 or faster at the long end. This should have been one of the original lenses offered with the Q, to illustrate just how small the long tele EQ lenses will be on the Q. I might buy this lens to use as a walk around.

Wide prime -- looks like the ellipse is centered around 24mm EQ. Probably considered to the something to draw people like the bulk of internet photo forum members to the Q, but my bet is that it won't accomplish this. With the level of disrespect already shown for the Q, my guess is that most of these people have already made up their minds, and all they'll see in this lens is a supposedly rectilinear wide angle with significant barrel distortion and less resolution than what they get with their DSLR. so it will get a lot of scorn regardless of how good it might be. Wide angle is not a strength in the Q's concept. I'd probably not buy this lens

Telephoto prime -- I'm hoping that this will be a dedicated macro prime, and 90-95mm EQ seems to make some sense if that is the case. If it's a 2:1 or better macro, I'd buy it if it allows a reasonable working distance and is reasonably fast, otherwise, probably not. . .

Body cap prime -- we'll have to see. . .might be fun. . .

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that they didn't include their version of the K to Q adapter on this roadmap. It should be relevant, I'd think. It is rumored to have a shutter mechanism in the adapter. If it does have a shutter, I'll be buying it despite already having two working K-Q adapters. I'd like faster flash sync than is offered by the electronic shutter for macro shooting in bright ambient light conditions, and a mechanical shutter in the adapter should allow this. It also remains to be seen if a mechanical shutter might yield slightly better IQ for whatever reason. I'd like to compare to satisfy my own curiosity.

Scott
Saw a pic of the Q<K adapter. It clearly showed a shutter in it. Pic may have been on this website.
thanks
barondla