Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q with Pentax Auto 110 lenses

PENTAX Q

02-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't mind shooting with the last two...but the rest, meh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think these lenses would be more useful on either m4/3 or CX.
08-07-2013, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and although I know that bumping old threads is a bit of a faux pas, it seemed a shame to start a new one when someone has done a mighty fine review of the lenses above (I can appreciate the pictures even without the language). I've been a Q owner for a month and a half and it's really gotten me back into photography - carting about my K200D was proving something of an off-putting prospect when I do a lot of climbing/hiking and the Q just made sense. I also own a bunch of the old Auto 110 lenses, and the other day got hold of the adapter and did a few fairly informal tests of the lenses on the Q. Thought I'd post a link here in case anybody finds it useful. I'll add my impressions to the main lens test thread when I get the chance, but as it's testing 4 lenses at once I'm not sure where I'd put it. I'd also be very keen to know what (if anything!) people have found using auto 110 lenses on the Q7's sensor - bigger pixels might make these lenses appear sharper and hence better portable telephotos...

Attached Images

08-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've used the 50 and the 70 -- very nice, quite sharp, while still keeping the camera pretty compact, so until I get the official Q-K adapter with its built-in shutter, I will prefer these to get some extra reach on the Q without going super-telephoto. Using the lensbaby aperture discs in the adapter to stop down helps. (The 110 lenses have no aperture.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
08-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd like to add that the 110 Soligor 1.7x TC works great with the 50 & 70 lenses, and also eliminates the need for the aperture disks.
Thanks for posting these examples!
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I'd like to add that the 110 Soligor 1.7x TC works great with the 50 & 70 lenses, and also eliminates the need for the aperture disks.
Thanks for posting these examples!
It does (eliminate the need)? It has an aperture?
08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

well .. kinda. it has a built in, but non-adjustable iris reducer, so it effectively stops the lens down by 3 stops (I think), also helps to keep PF to minimal levels. the results are pretty decent for such a small setup that fits in the palm of my hand = 650mm equivalent.

08-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
Forum Member

Now that is a tip; although losing three stops is a pity, I shoot mostly outside in the brightness of the day so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll have to track one down...
08-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I made an adaptor for the 110 lenses to M43
Initially the adaptor did not have a stop, so the 18mm was at its native f/2.8 and this photo of the crash test dummy shows a little loss of sharpness and corner blur which might not be a problem on Q
https://app.box.com/s/r48i1b3wgpjmo5h4l70i

then I added a waterhouse stop machined of brass with sharp inner circumference, coated matt black and located 4.2 mm behind the lens mount register.
https://app.box.com/s/8o3thsu0cssjlcbz2jji
It is about f/4.5 on the 18mm
That improved the overall sharpness of the lens. DOF is not an issue so camera iso and shutter speed handle the exposure OK, no need for more stops.
08-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #11

Yesterday I discovered there's a guy who makes a 110-to-micro4/3 lens adapter with a built-in aperture (pen 110 lens mount adapter for mFT, with built-in IRIS). Intrigued by this adapter from RJ Camera, I sent them an email asking if they were planning to make a similar adapter for the Q mount. Here's the answer I received yesterday:

> Hi John,
> Thanks for the message...
> I'm going to give it a try :-) but it will not be cheap though... price is to be around $75... :-)
> best,
> R.J.

I replied that I would be just fine with that price as long as it works as well as the m4/3 adapter. I found some photos people posted using the adapter yesterday while researching this subject, and the results looked very good. The ability to stop down these lenses makes them perform pretty well!

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is pretty exciting! I've wanted to use my Auto 110 lenses on a digital body for as long as digital bodies have existed, but the lack of aperture control always stopped me. Since I plan on owning a Q7 by the middle of next year, this adapter will be high on my list of accessories to get right away.