Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1

The almost perfect Q (img heavy)

Hi all, This is my first post, but ive been reading this forums for a while now. I saw theres mixed emotions towards the Q, and to be honest, I didnt like it very much when it arrived. But since then Ive messed with it alot and got a few accessories which I havent seen mentioned much here, so i though id show u all my kit and see what u all think.

I have:
Tamron 3-8mm F1.0 CS (megapixel version) with 43mm vented hood
Pentax 8-48mm F1.0
Seagull 3x magnifier

First about the lenses.

The Tamron 3-8mm is a CS lens and yes its not suppose to fit.. however there is a adapter mount on ebay with a removable centre. The hole in the middle drops about 5mm, so all i had to do is sand down the edge and drop it in the hole. The adapter comes with mounting screws which will hold the lens in nice and firmly. Focusing on the cctv lens is a bit sticky sometimes (i found mine on ebay for 5... maybe thats why... ) so found a nice 43mm vented hood which pretty much fit over the top perfectly and gives enough friction to focus.

The lens is very sharp and very bright. Build quality is... meh but not really much to complain about. The real downside is the distortion, which can be really nice, but can be annoying. Heres an example of the latter

Heres the original DNG, and corrected version.
1/20 @1600ISO Hand held

and another here
1/50@2000ISO

As you can see its easily correctable, but you do loose a bit of definition around the corners.
but when it looks good... its properly epic!

1/60@250 original jpg from camera

1/40@400 original jpg from camera

1/50@250 original jpg from camera

1/40@1600 Hand held edited Raw

F1,0 is very fast, but not quite night vision... heres a example of how far u can push it. this is an almost pitch black room only illuminated by the street lights outside.
1/15@6400

Moving onto the Pentax, my one was found on ebay for about 20... almost fine except for a small scratch on the front element, everything else seems fine but i have to say my copy is very very soft wide open, to a point where its only good for close up macros.

heres a few jpgs straight from the camera:

Ive had a few ultra fast lenses before and yea they were hard to focus on a slr... but on the tiny screen here, (esp wide open) pin point focusing is bordering impossible. However with the magnifier and focus assist, its actually very useable. the 8-48 is still hard to focus at around 8mm but its quite easy once zoomed in a little.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND the seagull loupe that I have... its too big, you either loose the tripod mount, or the hotshoe, and the sticky tape is so sticky that it pulls the screen right off (yes this is from experience). I will be making my own viewfinder soon to replace this.

anyways thats all i got, hope it was interesting

Da

Last edited by daadaa; 02-14-2012 at 12:23 PM.
02-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, yes; but the part I liked was this:
QuoteOriginally posted by daadaa Quote
I saw theres mixed emotions towards the Q,
If you think there's mixed feelings about the Q; read some of the K-01 threads!

Welcome to the forum.
02-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What I find very interesting (aside from what you've done with the camera) is that rather than just complaining about the Q, you've put together some ideas and come up with something quite fascinating.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment which hopefully will feature your replacement viewfinder.
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quite cool. one of the neat things about the q is the ability to do stuff like this. Seeing you own an RD1 though i can tell you don't follow the bahhing sheeple in the world of photography

Welcome to the forum

02-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Great first post with some interesting images.

Hope to see more of your images and welcome.
02-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all,
@ Parallax - yea i had a quick read, and i see what u mean :P I cant say I like the K-01 very much, seems very gimmiky and doesnt really exploit the advantages of a mirrorless. How ever times are changing... i think the Q will be testament of that, before its all about the huge sensors and the full frames, but now, tech has brought tiny sensors to a acceptable standard which gives access to exciting lenses for the cheap, and i think thats FAR more important than perfectly smooth imgs.

@ mtansley - a few details on the "PQ-BACK" that im working on...
It'll be a full back cover that attaches to the strap loops and tripod mount. The full cover will give an opportunity to create a more ergonomic shutter button, av button and green button. Ill probably use the same glass from the seagull, I'll lose the bulky diopter adjustments, but in its place will be a collapsible top down finder. As you can see, its turning into a mini medium format, and something that will be more comfortable to operate. It will be rapid prototyped sls, which should make it quite robust and "relatively" cheap, Im guestimating around 40? ... anyways we'll see about that. but if it makes sense, ill make it available to buy.

@ eddie1960 - haha yea... i think the Q semi falls into the same category as the RD-1.... both on paper aren't very promising, but both can output pictures like no other camera! One thing ive always LOVED about the RD-1 is the noise quality... its hard to describe but for me it really has the look of film grain, its so nice I hardly ever step below 800ISO... and I think the Q too has a bit of that quality (when shooting raw)

Last edited by daadaa; 02-15-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: typos
02-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I love your Epson, a few years back badly wanted to have one but Epson Australia did not import it.
I have the Q, have'n done anything as pedantic as yours, I am thinking of just taking it ( +01+02) to my trip to Europe early March and leaving big brothers KX+K7 with all big lenses behind, still thinking and contemplating........
really enjoying your photos and welcome onboard
kind regards
jack
02-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yea they are hard to get... mine was off ebay again from the US. I really hope the make a RD-2 ... but theres a huge chance of ruining everything if they just build what everyone else is building.
My old work horse was the 30D... had a 12-24, 24-70, and a 55mm 1.2, and carrying all that glass around was hell, plus if i wanted to bring a tripod... lol yea i wont go into it, its pretty much the reason i went with my epson, and now with the Q

actually heres a question hypothetically... If I made the back, converted the lenses and sold it all as a upgrade kit... would people be interested?

02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

i didn't realize the Q can fit C mount lenses, that's pretty cool
02-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would love to see some more finished images, processed from RAW.
02-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hey, i havent really had much out and about with this yet, but heres some of a few different situs

Shutter - ISO - F-stop

1/80-1250-1.0

1/80-2000-1.0

1/60-320-1.0

1/800-250-3.2

1/40-2000-4.5

1/60-1000-1.9

1/60-1000-1.9
02-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Very nice! Although in my opinion most C-mount lenses leave much to be desired (they were never optimized for megapixel resolutions). Anyway I also have the 8-48mm f/1.0-1.2 zoom and now that my Q is repaired (actually I got a new one from Pentax) I can try it out too.
02-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
The tamron is fine as its a mp optimised lens.... 8-48 however, is quite poor wide open. though if u stop it down below 2.8, it becomes sharp enough for most purposes
02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daadaa Quote
Hi all, This is my first post, but ive been reading this forums for a while now. I saw theres mixed emotions towards the Q, and to be honest, I didnt like it very much when it arrived. But since then Ive messed with it alot and got a few accessories which I havent seen mentioned much here, so i though id show u all my kit and see what u all think.
The Mad Scientist in his laboratory!!!!!!! The title of this thread should have been: Smoking kills and Cognac helps me come up with all my crazy modifications!
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm "digging" the images...it's so 60ish