Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interval Question

So I have used CHDK on a Canon P&S in the past to do a few timelapses

Was wondering if someone with a Q could answer a few questions I have regarding this function.

1. What are the shutter speed limitations (in particular with the 03 fisheye lens, or adapted lens?)
2. What are the mode options? I have found it is quite important when shooting timelapse to adjust exposure only a little between shots to avoid flickering in the final video. There are some good CHDK scripts which do just this. I would imagine unless you are shooting in manual mode flickering could become a problem...(and manual excludes changing the exposure through the timelapse, for example if its a sunrise)
3. Is it awesome?

02-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There is a guy somewhere in Japan doing time lapse on the Q and he answers everyone with legit questions. Reading the comments of his videos is a learning experience...subscribe to it. I think he has a blog but it's naturally all in Japanese

02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi jezza323,

I've not played with this except to learn how to do it, so I'm certainly no authority. . . With that said, I'll make some observations and suggestions.

1., I doubt that there would be any shutter limitations, other than the shutter speed cannot be longer than the interval between shots. Adapted lenses and the FE use the electronic shutter, so the speed limitations would be those of this shutter.

2. Any mode options available for movie shooting are available for time lapse -- you do realize that there is a function in the Q that puts all of the interval shots together into a movie in the camera. I would think that manual mode would be best to prevent any unwanted exposure mess ups within the movie though. For a sunrise, for example, I'd find the best exposure for the time you want the time lapse to end, and set it there and leave it. The video would start in darkness, and gradually increase until it is properly exposed -- pretty much as you see it. Automatically metered exposures would try to equalize the exposures throughout the entire video, and that's probably not what you'd want for a sunrise. . . Obviously I could be wrong here. . .

3. If it's executed as well as those in the above linked video. . . I'd say YES!

Scott
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "interval movie" feature is convenient, but not useful: You are limited to 359 exposures, no matter what interval you set. The intervals are preset to 1s, 5s, 10s, 30s, 1min, 5min, 10min, and 30min - you can't choose anything in between these values. The longest shutter speed available in interval movie is only 1/30s.

The regular "interval shooting" function is much more powerful. You can record up to 999 images in one go, with any specific interval between 1s and 24 hours (in 1s increments). The full range of exposure controls of the mode you are in is also available to you, assuming you're using a lens with electronic shutter, this means exposures between 2s - 1/8000s. With a lens shutter lens, the range is 30s - 1/2000s (bulb is also available...curious).

Once the images start recording, there is no way to change your exposure between shots, besides cancelling the routine and starting over with your new exposure. The camera displays "Interval Shooting Standby" if you try to change any setting while it's working, the standby screen tells you the interval you've set, and how many images are left to record.

02-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies. thats the exact info i was looking for. the electronic shutter would be a limitation for me i think. looking to do night timelapses with the fisheye so 2s will not be enough. might break out the wife's new canon p&s and give CHDK another go.
02-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
The "interval movie" feature is convenient, but not useful: You are limited to 359 exposures...
I think you are wrong here, because that would mean only about 15 seconds of resulting video? I have done a couple of time lapse movies with the Q that came out about 35 seconds long and that was with the shortest interval possible, i.e. 1 second between the exposures, so the filming lasted for about 5+ minutes.
02-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be clear, we are talking about interval movie mode - where the camera makes the final movie for you.
As you adjust to the different intervals, there is a maximum "recording time" as a result. With a 1s interval the maximum recording time is 5:59, with a 5s interval the maximum recording time is 29:55, and so on...

I don't know what frame rate the camera ends up giving you, but in interval movie you aren't capturing more than 359 frames.
03-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Forum Member

I can not seem to get the (interval shooting movie) to record at all or play back. I can set my time and intervals hit the start interval shooting the Q starts taking photos at the given time for given time but when I go to play back the movie it shows 00'00" for time and no movie is recorded I only see the first pic the rest don't show up or play. yet the Q was taking photos for the givein time.
Im I over looking something or maybe the interval shooting is not working right.

03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Forum Member

Called Pentax today. They got me to reset the Q, after doing so my timelaps movie works just fine.
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too easy! Must be a weird software bug