Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q - a tiny gem, and an instant classic

You don't really get a feel for this camera from pictures. I finally got to try one in a store, and my immediate reaction was one of awe. It is WAY smaller that I first thought, absolutely TEENY, it is BEAUTIFULLY built, out of premium materials, construction is near flawless, the controls are tight, accurate, and precise, this feels like a tiny Leica and a REAL camera. It's better than the Auto 110, which is a classic...this thing is an instant classic, IMHO, and I want one now, after messing around with one for a few minutes. And the White one is GORGEOUS! I hope they make a gold-toned one in white, that would really be something.

Pentax's new era seems to be of really finely made cameras...after trying some of the cheap and cheesy stuff by the big guys, it's was nice to feel something of this level of quality. BEAUTIFUL little thing, I think our impressions of the 01 is going to change once we actually see one in person. The photos certainly didn't do this little camera justice.

Nice job, Pentax, now bring out some more lenses!

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 02-15-2012 at 02:01 PM.
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Pentax Q definitely looks nice...and it's cool, but it's not for me as it handles worse than a point-and-shoot would because you still have to hold it with 2 hands when using the zoom lens.

Your photos are broken

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax Q definitely looks nice...and it's cool, but it's not for me as it handles worse than a point-and-shoot would because you still have to hold it with 2 hands when using the zoom lens.

Your photos are broken
Fixed them.

Have you tried one yet? Absolutely gorgeous little thing. And yeah I could see if you wanted to shoot with one hand, but that would't be a deal breaker for me.

Cheers,
Cameron
02-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the well made, but I wouldn't want to bother with a zoom lens. Just stick with the primes.

02-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm glad there is a wide angle prime in the roadmap. I quite like the camera but the current lenses available are just not attractive enough to seduce me.
02-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Fixed them.

Have you tried one yet? Absolutely gorgeous little thing. And yeah I could see if you wanted to shoot with one hand, but that would't be a deal breaker for me.

Cheers,
Cameron
Yup, I played with one when it came out. I described it as "Qute" - how's that for a marketing slogan?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Your photos are broken
Ehh... don't you also hold the K-5 with two hands when there's a zoom attached?

02-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Ehh... don't you also hold the K-5 with two hands when there's a zoom attached?
Adam doesn't want to like the Q, so he comes up with as many stupid reasons as he can to not like it.
02-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the leather case, is it soft, worth buying and how much ??
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok...I need to come out about the Q.

Yes, I bashed it and I hated it. Yes, I was bigoted against it. I thought it was an affront to traditional conservative Pentax values.

However...the silver version...I think I might be in love.

I honestly didn't think I had it in me.

Great. Now I've outed myself...but at least I am myself.

02-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ok...I need to come out about the Q.

Yes, I bashed it and I hated it. Yes, I was bigoted against it. I thought it was an affront to traditional conservative Pentax values.

However...the silver version...I think I might be in love.

I honestly didn't think I had it in me.

Great. Now I've outed myself...but at least I am myself.

We would never judge you!

/shakes head......how will we tell her parents...
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

(
I guess we differ here, I generally use a zoom as a multi FL. Preset the FL with the zoom scale and shoot it like a prime. Some may prefer a collapsing stepped zoom that you activate with a switch. . .that always returns to the shortest FL when you turn the camera on so you have to fiddle with it every time you take it out of your pocket. For me, the manual "zoom" is a feature that puts the Q in a different (and better) class of usability, and this is one of the reasons that I prefer it as a compact. Also, you can set the Q to remember a focus distance so it returns to the last setting when powered on.

With my Camdapter CamStrap, I can access all the external controls and shoot one handed with complete security.

The definition of "good handling" in a camera is very subjective.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 02-16-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added pic
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

but it's still missing stickers...lol

congrats on your new camera cambo, i just picked up the fisheye today because the store i normally deal with doesn't have that OVF in as yet
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
With my Camdapter CamStrap, I can access all the external controls and shoot one handed with complete security.

Scott
I see you have the lens hood for the 8,5mm lens. Is this made of plastic or metal?
02-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pretty little thing. Well done Pentax!

Sorry I can't give you any biz though. I'd buy a couple of them and a few lenses if it took AA's and had a built-in optical VF.

Even if the VF just had outlines of some of the other focal length lenses it would be OK.

And even without a VF...who knows, I may buckle under and buy one. But I never give on AA batteries Pentax...that is the deal breaker.

At one time Pentax, you were the leader in small dslr's. Get back to basics Pentax. Make a very small dslr that is bare bones high IQ, K mount and runs on AA's and I'll buy a couple of them Pentax.