Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q - retro 0.95 glass setup

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Love to show this combo when people tell me the Q is a toy. Tired of people always trying to take the fun out of photography.
thanks
barondla

Canon f 0.95 TV lens ( C mount) and Sunscope selenium cell meter.

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #50 winners in compact camera forum. Enter #51. Any brand camera. Pentax Q owners are invited.

Attached Images

02-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about some results from this setup and a few more angles of the camera? I'm curious to see that setup from the side... the lens looks so much larger than the camera.
02-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow, care to show some sample images from that lens?
02-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Cool!

An f/0.95 long tele (280 mm eqv.) on a Q! That's not available for any other camera!

The Q is no toy as our review documented - if only it had a sibling with a viewfinder I would get one!

02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I share your sentiment as it applies to the K-01. As I wrote on teh K-01 <sarcastic> "Probelms" thread, "I like the K-01. But now I don't like myself any more."

Yes, they've taken the fun out of the Forum but not photography. I can photograph and have fun doing it without PentaxForums, and I might have to resort to that.
02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad everyone is enjoying the pic. The lens takes 77mm filters so it is almost the same size as the Q. With the lens focusing ring sitting on a table, the Q hangs off the back in mid air. Not an easy lens to shoot. It far outweighs the Q so you can't use the Q tripod socket and allow the lens to just hang there. Haven't figured out a tripod solution yet. The focus action is smooth but pretty stiff. Not the easiest beast to focus handheld. Will take some work.

The lens is pretty low in contrast. This was a design goal in the earlier years because it helped open up the shadows. Contrast can be improved in post processing. Will try to take some pics to post at a later date. Bought this and another lens from a guy for $20. It has sit around for years unshot because I had nothing it would fit. Now have two cameras it will fit. Olympus E-PL1 and Q.

Wasn't taking a jab at anyone in particular pertaining to lack of fun in photography. Just have noticed it getting worse in the last few years. Have friends who can't possibly shoot w/o the FF& 40lbs of gear ( they aren't pro). Others can't possibly use anything but CS5 for post processing. Photographer told me that "the images straight out of a camera are supposed to look blah and every image needs to be post processed".
Unless you are getting paid, photography should be fun! Go shoot - now.

Monchrome, I will play with the K-01 when it arrives at the camera store. Tend to buy cameras to do things my current ones don't. Having a tough time nailing down what that would be. Its strength could be video, which I have very little need for. It would be more appealing to me with a viewfinder. Next camera will be beyond my K-7. Not sure a mirrorless fills the jack of all trades role for me.
thanks
barondla
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Glad everyone is enjoying the pic. The lens takes 77mm filters so it is almost the same size as the Q. With the lens focusing ring sitting on a table, the Q hangs off the back in mid air. Not an easy lens to shoot. It far outweighs the Q so you can't use the Q tripod socket and allow the lens to just hang there. Haven't figured out a tripod solution yet. The focus action is smooth but pretty stiff. Not the easiest beast to focus handheld. Will take some work.
Hi barondla,

I've been looking into tripod solutions too. Something like this (but shorter) might be made to work if the lens shows promise:

8" lens support for arca swiss Kirk Markins Wimberley Benro Acratech Hejnar | eBay

This guy can make custom stuff, and you can probably contact him to get different combinations of components to make up something that would work. Possibly too pricey, but this might suggest a DIY solution. I've just ordered an Arca plate that should work with the Q from him -- should get it today, in fact.

QuoteQuote:
The lens is pretty low in contrast. This was a design goal in the earlier years because it helped open up the shadows. Contrast can be improved in post processing. Will try to take some pics to post at a later date. Bought this and another lens from a guy for $20. It has sit around for years unshot because I had nothing it would fit. Now have two cameras it will fit. Olympus E-PL1 and Q.
Talk about deals!!. . .

QuoteQuote:
Wasn't taking a jab at anyone in particular pertaining to lack of fun in photography. Just have noticed it getting worse in the last few years. Have friends who can't possibly shoot w/o the FF& 40lbs of gear ( they aren't pro). Others can't possibly use anything but CS5 for post processing. Photographer told me that "the images straight out of a camera are supposed to look blah and every image needs to be post processed".
Unless you are getting paid, photography should be fun! Go shoot - now

. . .Tend to buy cameras to do things my current ones don't. Having a tough time nailing down what that would be. Its strength could be video, which I have very little need for. It would be more appealing to me with a viewfinder. Next camera will be beyond my K-7. Not sure a mirrorless fills the jack of all trades role for me.
My feelings exactly, especially the last paragraph. The Q allows me to do things that my DSLR kit and other compacts can't do (at least conveniently or relatively inexpensively). For me, the potential for massive versatility trumps relatively minor degrees of IQ loss against a DSLR and compactness against the compacts.

Scott

02-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks snostorm. The Arca qr plate interests me. My Arca plates are way bigger than the Q. Please post pic when it arrives. Haven't tried to invent a tripod bracket for the 0.95 yet- but I will.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 03-03-2012 at 08:14 PM.