Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Lens reviews

Any chance that some of you lucky Q owners could post some lens reviews? I'm keen to hear an owner's perspective on the lenses rather than just a professional reviewer's. Thanks!

02-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 03 Fisheye (Toronto Auto Show 2012)

I just started testing this lens and to be quite frank, i NEVER finish actaully testing any lens so you'll mostly get sparse opinions, if that's okay with you?

These are first use of both camera and lens so everyone in it are first victims, as you can see it's not tack sharp but "soft" which i can conclude is user miscalulations, "what?" you ask, yes i forgot i have to manually focus +/_ 4places left or right or as marked on the lens near-far. That say i took a crap load of images with just this lens and i'm just starting the test at my snail's pace and always on full auto as my forum name suggests, so bear with me.
I still have to post a few more images that has to be just resized and framed but i'm limiting it to about 30 *hears all the groans*
Iposted these first so the people in the photos could find them (hopefully not a difficult task and i'll apologise now because they wer kind enough to permit their photos being taken and i didn't do them justice)

things did improve once i realized, i had to work the lens (manual focus) as DOF can only take you so far.

*edit* by default i always have flash and focus assist turned off.

Last edited by Clicker; 02-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.
02-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting images Clicker. Picked a great subject to cover. The pictures came out well- especially on the first attempt with a new lens. The fisheye can be tricky to use but so much fun. Good job.
thanks for sharing
barondla
02-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks im in bed now, i really like shooting wide the distortions doesn't bother me at all as someone mentioned, "fisheye" makes everything interesting. This lens wasn't hard at all to get a good composition, the images are great for posting online and with today software large prints are possible. At the show there were quite a few people shooting with ipads, some of the very same people asked me if i was going to publish to blog or social site, i popped out my eyefi and showed them the copy on my TAB lol, they acknowledged although a few extra steps, they'd need software to get my images, pro or con its the users call.
I can use this lens, wide as it is and do some good environmental portraits and product shots, its sharp in the center as expected but not too soft on the edges, again software is out there for these things, a lot of post processing is done these days but still it doesn't mean this particular lens needs it.
The built quality is good and feels durable but im not going to be doing any drop testing on it. Its tiny, unobtrusive for the $125 i paid for it, id say it was worth it. The colours with lens/camera combo produces some decent colours that pops, it handles the hard light fairly well.

Last edited by Clicker; 02-20-2012 at 06:31 PM.
02-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #5

I have the fish-eye and getting the manual focus right is no issue at all, especially with the enormous depth of field and 5.6 aperture at this focal lenghth and sensor size. Basically there is a position on the MF scale on the lens when everything will be tack sharp from your outstretched hand to eternity, you learn this position pretty quickly and you can thus even set the focus properly without checking it on the display. I only miss autofocus when photographing people/pets as you need to get the face really close for the funny effect and especially with pets, they do not give you much time to tweak the manual focus. Of course the flash output will also be totally fecked in such situations as the flash has no idea I am taking a closeup shot and it will overexpose horribly.
02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm impressed with the sharpness of the 01 Standard Prime, especially wide open.

02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The lens as you can imagine is very tiny and lightweight, it only protrudes almost 1.5" from the body, if it is a phallic symbol then if girls are pointing and giggling it's because it's CUTE and not just tiny *lol*
The connecting mount is plastic but unless you're changing lens very frequently or the lens itself suddenly grows into the hulk...modern plastic saves weight and won't be wornout.

You could probably use it as a dash camera

interiors are covered well

It handles surrounding hard light pretty good

shooting thru glass standing inches away isn't a problem *but wait that's NOT glass, OK standing close*

Overall, colours are rendered accurate. The lens also handles flare pretty good considering the front element does come past the edge of the lens ever so slightly. It seems to do well inside with a lot of lights otherwise i switch to B&W filter, outside is the next round of photos.

Last edited by Clicker; 02-20-2012 at 04:31 PM.