Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Loved looking through all of these photos. I have been doing more and more street work, typically with K-3 and DA 70 or DA 40. I have been really tempted to get a GR and still might but the Q seems so much more flexible with the options of changing lenses. I owned the original Q but didn't use it that much and got rid of it a few years ago. I think the flexibility now in the zooms but also the greater speed and larger sensor of the Q would make it more useable. I am kind of amazed that the original 01 prime lens no longer comes in a kit with the Q and basically needs to be ordered directly from Pentax to get it these days at a price of $200! Kind of wishing I would have kept my 01 lens I originally had.

08-23-2015, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #242
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Loved looking through all of these photos. I have been doing more and more street work, typically with K-3 and DA 70 or DA 40. I have been really tempted to get a GR and still might but the Q seems so much more flexible with the options of changing lenses. I owned the original Q but didn't use it that much and got rid of it a few years ago. I think the flexibility now in the zooms but also the greater speed and larger sensor of the Q would make it more useable. I am kind of amazed that the original 01 prime lens no longer comes in a kit with the Q and basically needs to be ordered directly from Pentax to get it these days at a price of $200! Kind of wishing I would have kept my 01 lens I originally had.
Yes, the 01 lens is similar in view to the lenses traditionally used for street photography, and its having an aperture of f/1.9 is great, as is its deep DOF. My Q-7 came with both 02 and 06 lenses, but I bought an 01 lens from a Japanese seller (via Amazon) for roughly $150 even before my Q-7 had arrived. Using the Q with a 01 is very similar to the old film rangefinder or DSLR camera with a 50mm lens (or your K-3 + DA40) - less convenient than with a zoom at times, but very doable. Another benefit of the Q-family, BTW, is that their color may make them look less professional than all the big black cameras do.
08-30-2015, 01:42 PM - 5 Likes   #243
Forum Member

I'm only just starting to try and get a feel for street photography. A recent trip on some deserted streets gave me a low-light challenge, but walked away with this shot which I was pretty pleased with, especially considering I shot it handheld braced against a tree with a 2.5s shutter speed (need to counter the high ISO, even on the QS-1)

08-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #244
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote
I'm only just starting to try and get a feel for street photography. A recent trip on some deserted streets gave me a low-light challenge, but walked away with this shot which I was pretty pleased with, especially considering I shot it handheld braced against a tree with a 2.5s shutter speed (need to counter the high ISO, even on the QS-1)

Wel done!

08-31-2015, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #245
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote

If you look realy hard I think I can see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson coming. Nice shot!!
09-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #246
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Wel done!
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
If you look realy hard I think I can see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson coming. Nice shot!!
Thanks to you both! It's clear I haven't graduated to taking photos of actual people yet, but I'm sure I'll get there. For now the implied Holmes will have to do
09-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #247

Fun at the fair:
O2 zoom:_IMP0175_zps8cv7yjgu.jpg Photo by dktrfz | Photobucket

Pentax 110 50mm:_IMP2901_zpswo8awwbc.jpg Photo by dktrfz | Photobucket
09-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #248

At first I didn't like the little 6mm 1.2, but then I found out it's really sharp as long as it's focused close-ish, and actually sharper on the edges than the center. Gives a really nice ghostly look to things.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Man! What happened to this thread? There are some mind blowing Q images in here! I know you guys have more!
04-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Man! What happened to this thread? There are some mind blowing Q images in here! I know you guys have more!
OK

Williamsburg Gothic
by John Flores, on Flickr
04-21-2016, 02:57 AM   #251
Site Supporter

John,
I love seeing beautifully saturated shots such as yours. The Q is under appreciated for its color capabilities. Some of my more interesting color shots have been with the Q.
04-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #252
Forum Member

the colors are very nice. I am also curious how people decide what settings to use on their camera. I recently found my old film cameras that I forgot I had. I found an Olympus XA and another Olympus Epic Stylus zoom and its interesting that with film cameras, you really don't have all the settings like you do on a digital especially the Q. For me part of the deal with the Q is the mental obstacle of having to decide how to set it. I am thinking maybe it makes sense to drop the fear since there is no cost of film and just try stuff. I don't know why I don't shoot more especially with interesting settings. I guess you can just shoot and then apply filters later right? I just went on the lomo site and noticed they have a ton of cameras listed including a bunch of pentaxes but not the Q. I guess no one has submitted photos from the Q onto their site. I did notice the ricoh gr. I am not sure that film has some characteristic that is so important given the flexibility of the choices in digital. Its just that I guess you have to choose a style and practice? I did bring my QS1 with prime01 to work today. Now I want to just start shooting more.
04-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #253
Site Supporter

Automatic Settings

Lomo is an interesting site, I think. I've bought some 35mm film from them, but not a camera, although I have one of the Fuji self printing instants I bought elsewhere.
Personally, I've spent lots of time playing with settings on digital cameras. The combinations are nearly endless. I've concluded that most importantly to the photographic art is composition first, light secondly. Recently, I've been binging on auto settings for the various cameras I carry about on my walks with our dogs. Not only has it "refocused" my attention to composition, it was also the intention of the manufacturers to include that feature in their settings to be useful. I'm not too proud to use it. But then I'm not a professional photographer, either. (Shot of doggies on auto, old IstDs, some crop and light management in post.)
d
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
04-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #254
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMotivations Quote
Personally, I've spent lots of time playing with settings on digital cameras. The combinations are nearly endless. I've concluded that most importantly to the photographic art is composition first, light secondly.
In making this discovery you are ahead of many shooters who place more importance on equipment than what you have discovered.
04-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMotivations Quote
. . . it was also the intention of the manufacturers to include that feature in their settings to be useful.
If you look closely at the descriptions for the Scene Modes in the manuals you'll notice they embody essentially the same adjustments to basic Program Mode that a knowledgeable photographer would apply to each situation while also disallowing certain user adjustments that are inconsistent with each mode.

Try shooting in P Mode then add your best situational tweaks and compare the results with the applicable Scene Mode settings which are based on acknowledged best practices - your own superior opinion notwithstanding of course ().