Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #1

External Viewfinder Recommendation

Hi,
Can anyone recommend an External Viewfinder for the Q...the O-VF1 viewfinder just seems really expensive. Have had a quick look around ebay but have not come up with much....

02-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ricoh do one if you want to keep it in the family
Ricoh GV-1 External Viewfinder 172798 B&H Photo Video
It also looks a tad smaller than the original- however the view angle is different.but at least you get 21 and 28mm

Panasonic and Sigma do them too, B and H list them abit cheaper at $139USD

02-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the link....in Ireland but luckily amazon.co.uk have the Rioch viewfinder....will check out the others as well

Last edited by Jordan; 02-20-2012 at 06:33 AM.
02-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Just thought i would post this for anyone else interested in the pentax viewfinder for the Q....

Jessops in the UK have a really good price here:

Pentax O-VF1 External Viewfinder - Jessops - Viewfinders, Prisms and Hoods

02-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a good price, not sure how much if any VAT adds to it but here in Toronto it's $199 plus 13% compared to yours converted $155 +13%.

Question for those with the Pentax OVF, does it turn of your LCD when connected?

General question for those with the Q, "how the heck do i turn off the LCD?"...other than using the power on/off button...lol (i'm a lazy guy always on auto and don't know what a manual looks like)

Last edited by Clicker; 02-20-2012 at 10:31 AM.
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jordan Quote
Hi,
Can anyone recommend an External Viewfinder for the Q...the O-VF1 viewfinder just seems really expensive. Have had a quick look around ebay but have not come up with much....
Hi Jordan,

You can consider an external OVF on the used market. From some research, the Leitz Brightline 50 and Voightlander 50 (essentially the same design are the best ever made. They both have been discontinued the Leica quite a while ago, and the VL more recently. They are about the size of a US Nickel (a bit over 21mm, or @0.84"), so smaller than the Pentax OVF.

The best article I've found on accessory OVFs is here:

Leica View Finders

I was lucky enough to know a collector who had an extra Leica that he'd part with (EX cond for @ $100 USD), then I found one at a camera show that was very beat up, but I talked the guy down to $30 USD, so despite some scratches on the lens, that's the one I carry around in my jacket pocket on a daily basis. I've seen a number of these available used since I bought the Q in Sept., but at higher prices than I paid. Here's how it looks on the Q.

It's a 50mm VF so it's a bit tight framing ( @ 1 ft or 30cm) on each side of the frame at @ 6 ft (1.8m). There is no magnification, so it's easy to shoot with both eyes open. I wear glasses, and the frame just becomes visible when the VF touches the lens of my glasses, so I've coated my VFs to keep them from scratching the lens. I find it easy to compensate for the difference in framing. The VL 40 would be a good alternative, but it would be a bit wide, so you'd have to compensate with this one also.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote

Question for those with the Pentax OVF, does it turn of your LCD when connected?

General question for those with the Q, "how the heck do i turn off the LCD?"...other than using the power on/off button...lol (i'm a lazy guy always on auto and don't know what a manual looks like)
Hi Clicker,

The only way I've found to turn off the LCD is to press the Info button twice. It resets every time you turn the camera off (or when it goes to sleep), but it stays off for repeated shots while the power remains on. This is something that Pentax should make a menu choice, IMO. It's not reasonable to not have this option since they offer an OVF as an accessory, and the LCD obviously drains the battery in a camera that has marginal battery life to begin with.

Scott
02-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Clicker,

The only way I've found to turn off the LCD is to press the Info button twice. It resets every time you turn the camera off (or when it goes to sleep), but it stays off for repeated shots while the power remains on. This is something that Pentax should make a menu choice, IMO. It's not reasonable to not have this option since they offer an OVF as an accessory, and the LCD obviously drains the battery in a camera that has marginal battery life to begin with.

Scott
thanks.

I looked online when i first saw your OVF, i found the voitlander one but it was priced clsoe to Pentax's so i'm just going to get the Pentax's, the variable ones are intersting but i'm not getting the zoom lens, unless it's a wide prime zoom
02-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Snostorm...I have went for the Pentax Viewfinder...I couldn't pass up the price of £99. Thanks for the link as well...its an interesting read.

09-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In anticipation of my Q, I have purchased a refurbed Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder sight unseen, but reviews seemed pretty good and the price is right @ $65.

There is one left if anyone is interested Olympus VF-1 PEN OPTICAL VIEWFINDER f/E-P1/E-P2 rEFURBISHED | eBay

Last edited by crewl1; 09-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.
09-11-2012, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #10

here's an interesting option - an Ikodot wireframe viewfinder. it's around $100. I've not used one, but I thought it was kinda neat and old school.

take a look
09-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That Ikodot is very cool. Wonder if it folds down for transport. The price is a little steep for what it is made of though, I can see lots of DIY's coming out.
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

great headsup emergo, I love that thing !
You are right it is asking to be modded, I can imagine one that parallelograms flat and pops up spring loaded

Last edited by Transit; 09-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
09-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

oh wow, looked it up a bit and here is someone who made there own ikodot...

gordon.coale weblog

EDIT: Oh ya I own the OVF-1 and I love it, it matches the 01 prime perfectly, thats why I was pissed about the price of it as I knew it would match perfectly as all OVFs are when they are made for a specific lens, so I had to get it... Wherever you point that OVF is what you will have in your image, there is some issues with close focusing as with all OVFs at about 1 and a half, 2 feet is where it falls off but easy if your used to it...
09-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Alternative Viewfinder for your Q?
09-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #15

also check this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/191446-helios-multifinder-pentax-q.html