Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It needs a lot of light it seems, i'll take it outside next BUT as you already know there's no way i'm going to catch people on the move wide open with this lens ...

03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
It needs a lot of light it seems, i'll take it outside next BUT as you already know there's no way i'm going to catch people on the move wide open with this lens ...
No, with practice you should be able too... I'm able to just gotta keep yourself still...
03-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Sonnatar wide open on the Q should be a relatively easy DOF to catch moving people with Clicker (about half a foot in focus area from 10 feet). I shoot live music using a super tak 50 1.4 wide open on the K7 (about the same in focus area as 1.1 on the Q) and get a pretty decent hit rate (not as good as i do at f2 but the extra light is needed in some venues)
03-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Yes, you're correct i'm usually at max with a 50mm hyper-focused (FF) shooting on the street so with this 135mm on the Q it's "new" so looking for the sweetspot as the angle of view is new to me for my guerilla style of street shooting...i just point n shoot so knowing the accuracy of the scale on the lens for hyper-focusing is part of my learning curve with this lens.

I can shoot wide open as close as~1' but that's not my normal working distance for street i'd be getting nasal hair or worst the first two knuckles ...LOL
I think this is why i'm extremely happy with the fisheye, huge DOF for my working distance.

I'll get some decent shots soon, i still have to do that newspaper test but i'm going to have to unpack a strobe...renos should be done this weekend. I am truly interested on the numbers of this lens, mostly because i'm wondering is it a better still or video lens...but so far i'm happy.

03-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a focal length that really isn't very good for street shooting IMO. I find a 50 too long and my favourite street lens is my DA14 but i don't mind getting in peoples faces a bit, up to 28-30 or so i think any lens can be good as a street shooting lens beyond that i find you get too detached from the action (but that is just my style of street shooting)
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #111
Pentaxian

The Sonnetar 25mm for M43 produces beautiful images and looking at those, now i know why falconeye chimed in but yesterday i saw the movie Safehouse and looking at the screen the overall look reminded me of the sonnetar's image of my dad with indoor light, it's that grainy, lowlight look i saw which is neither offensive nor lacking image quality imo. I guess what i'm really searching for in this lens is..."is it a better video or still" lens.

This is why i was looking for an OVF in this focal length but hell they're expensive...lol even used it's the cost of another lens

With this lens i can stand in a crowd and pick a face and no one would be the wiser except for the LCD exposing me to anyone watching...another reason i'm tetsing the accuracy of the lens scale...i think on my copy it may be off but that's for the tape measure test which i won't bore you guys with I am going to pursue the quality of the Q sensor with this lens combination though hopefully falconeye and others can help there. I must say though this is a "fact finding" test please those with one and those looking for one don't read into it as "negative testing" it's "fact finding" nothing more nothing less what is said about ti is just fact finding...creativity and images are the photographers abilities using the tools in his hand...there are no numbers for that.
Virtues and quality of a photographer cannot be argued quantitively but they can be used for the tools he uses and those are just numbers...i don't know how else to explain this...just don't take things personal in these tests/fact finding threads.

Last edited by Clicker; 03-07-2012 at 09:09 AM.
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It's a focal length that really isn't very good for street shooting IMO. I find a 50 too long and my favourite street lens is my DA14 but i don't mind getting in peoples faces a bit, up to 28-30 or so i think any lens can be good as a street shooting lens beyond that i find you get too detached from the action (but that is just my style of street shooting)
Lol, you sound like you've been hanging out on the internet for far to long... I find this the perfect length for top half portraits and face shots, I'm no more than 10 feet away, I dont believe in wideangle for face shots in street photography they're the most boring lenses of them all, and it'll cause tons of distortion unless its macro you dont bring the wideangle to a face... I honestly believe you should have a wide (urban lanscapes and buildings), fast 50 (for low light shots and just an all purpose), and a portrait lens for street portraits and an artistic lens.

Internet street photographers no nothing about street photography or what "street" means... Anything, street basketball, street skating, street dancing, its just what it is on the streets, no special requirements, you adapt what you know and apply it to the streets, as a street photographer you need to know all styles of photography if not your an incomplete street photographer... the streets are random and not wide, all aspects and all lenses apply to the streets...
03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #113
Pentaxian

"preferences" bmonki, everyone has their preferences their own styles just like you shoot your way others shoot their way..ok enough of the jibbering go shoot and post up some more images from the Q

03-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #114
Veteran Member

"preferences" bmonki, everyone has their preferences their own styles just like you shoot your way others shoot their way..ok enough of the jibbering go shoot and post up some more images from the Q
I'm always out shooting... And ya I believe everyone has they're preferences, but street photography and in all street sports and art styles that take it to the streets incorporate every aspect of there discipline and than take it to the streets. Because in the streets you have action and sport shots, you have candid portraits, you have flowers, nature, food and little things abound for macro shots, you have birds stealing hot pockets from kids, you have a lady throwing her husbands stuff out the balcony window, you have rain and storms... I dont see you catching all that with a super wide angle no matter your preferences...
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #115
Pentaxian

lol that's why we all have different lenses
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #116
Veteran Member

lol that's why we all have different lenses
Exactly what Im saying, I cant stand when street photographers get all snooty and say the same quote I've seen a thousand times on the internet like they invented it "I do not like to shoot anything other than wide as I believe it takes you away from the moment" You cant shoot only wide and be complete photographer, you can be a wide angle street photographer, but not a street photographer...
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #117
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

i got yesterday my sonnetar... very impressed by its' compactness and materials' quality... extremely exciting to use, and makes the Q so cute again.
It has a 12 blades aperture disc, making a well rounded form when closed down.

I took a pict of the Q's big brother with close "focal equivalent" (FA150/2.8) , wide open (f/1.1)

and reversely the Q taken by 645D :

More picts to come...
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #118
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Exactly what Im saying, I cant stand when street photographers get all snooty and say the same quote I've seen a thousand times on the internet like they invented it "I do not like to shoot anything other than wide as I believe it takes you away from the moment" You cant shoot only wide and be complete photographer, you can be a wide angle street photographer, but not a street photographer...
your logic makes absolutely no sense. you can't see past your own incredibly ignorant and incredibly narrow view of photography to even know what "street" photography is, much less anything else. news flash mate, your ideas aren't the holy bible of how to shoot anything, so you would be wise to stop parading yourself as nothing short of a know-it-all and elitist on the subject of "street photography". how you can actually conclude that others are 'lacking' in their own personal photography based on YOUR ideals is beyond me. its absurd. and your attitude isn't 'realistic' is just elitist and close-minded. wow, man seriously, come off your high horse. you don't know squat, and you have no place to tell others that they don't know squat, if they don't do it like you. and thats exactly what you have been saying in this thread so far. the equipment used is completely irrelevant, the label given to ones photography is completely irrelevant, the only thing relevant is the photos. by the way, some of the most renowned "street" photographers despised the label of "street photography" so to actually base your ideals on what is and isn't "street photography" is utterly pointless. who might I ask, do you look up to for you so boldly stated ideals? or is it just something you pulled out of your ass to make you come across as knowledgable on internet forums?
03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
your logic makes absolutely no sense. you can't see past your own incredibly ignorant and incredibly narrow view of photography to even know what "street" photography is, much less anything else. news flash mate, your ideas aren't the holy bible of how to shoot anything, so you would be wise to stop parading yourself as nothing short of a know-it-all and elitist on the subject of "street photography". how you can actually conclude that others are 'lacking' in their own personal photography based on YOUR ideals is beyond me. its absurd. and your attitude isn't 'realistic' is just elitist and close-minded. wow, man seriously, come off your high horse. you don't know squat, and you have no place to tell others that they don't know squat, if they don't do it like you. and thats exactly what you have been saying in this thread so far. the equipment used is completely irrelevant, the label given to ones photography is completely irrelevant, the only thing relevant is the photos. by the way, some of the most renowned "street" photographers despised the label of "street photography" so to actually base your ideals on what is and isn't "street photography" is utterly pointless. who might I ask, do you look up to for you so boldly stated ideals? or is it just something you pulled out of your ass to make you come across as knowledgable on internet forums?

EDIT: Ok I was little pissed because "street" arts all go hand in hand, hip hop, b-boying, graffiti, skating, street photography and videography...

Take graffiti writers for example, one guy goes out with nothing but a fat and a can of black, he's fast, he's swift he's getting up everywhere everyone will see his name... But it'll be the same tag over and over again all over the city and at the end of the day he wasnothign but a tagger not an artist and has created no image, just a signature... The graffiti artist will bring his bag, he'll have his fill in colors and his outline colors, he'll have his assortment caps, his thins, wides and phantoms (equal to a photographers lenses) he'll take his time and create his art, his name wont be all over the city but he created an image, a lasting image one thatll burn in everyones minds everytime they see one of his original creations...

At the end of the day are you just trying to get your name up or are you trying to creat an image... Are you gonna run around and blast everyone int he face with a wide angle or are you gonna choose your tools for the situation...

Last edited by wanderography; 03-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #120
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
EDIT: Ok I was little pissed because "street" arts all go hand in hand, hip hop, b-boying, graffiti, skating, street photography and videography...

Take graffiti writers for example, one guy goes out with nothing but a fat and a can of black, he's fast, he's swift he's getting up everywhere everyone will see his name... But it'll be the same tag over and over again all over the city and at the end of the day he wasnothign but a tagger not an artist and has created no image, just a signature... The graffiti artist will bring his bag, he'll have his fill in colors and his outline colors, he'll have his assortment caps, his thins, wides and phantoms (equal to a photographers lenses) he'll take his time and create his art, his name wont be all over the city but he created an image, a lasting image one thatll burn in everyones minds everytime they see one of his original creations...

At the end of the day are you just trying to get your name up or are you trying to creat an image... Are you gonna run around and blast everyone int he face with a wide angle or are you gonna choose your tools for the situation...
but your comparison is not only apples to oranges but also just simply no good. the tools aren't relevant. so the 'tagger' in your first example is only a 'tagger' because he didn't take the time to create what you consider art, not because he couldn't or because he didn't have a wide selection of tools, but simply that he didn't. a real artist could create art with the very same limited tools you bash the tagger for. proving the tools are just as I said, irrelevant. or do you disagree? some artists prefer having wide selection of tools, some prefer to work with limited tools. this goes for photographers as well. Garry winogrand used leica exclusively for his "street" photography (he hated that term) and pretty much noting but moderate wide angles. 28 and 35 predominantly. would you consider him not a real "street" photographer by your ideals? because I'm sure he had a hell of a lot more skill behind the lens than you with one camera and one wide angle lens.
but going back to more traditional art. there are some artists who will only use one medium. one pencil or pen. one brush, one colour. etc, etc. and can have incredible talent, imagination and artistry. are they fake because they chose not to use many pencils pens, brushes, colours, mediums, etc? I would think not. so your argument falls apart rather quickly when you step back and take a real look at things.

like I said, drop your elitist know-it-all attitude, stop labeling people by equipment used or not used and worry about what really matters. the photos. what was used t get them makes no difference at all. none. and it has no bearing at all on wether you are 'real' or 'talented'. your ideals are thus ridiculous, immature and make no sense.