Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Went on a long street mission through the city... heres an image from the day shot with my sonnetar lots of images to come on my blog...

Last edited by wanderography; 03-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
02-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shot, I'm lookong forward in anticipation for more!
02-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Great shot, I'm lookong forward in anticipation for more!
Thank you... Heres a couple more pics, posted quite a few on my blog, have some more to sort through and I'll be heading out on another full day tomorrow again... Need to finally get some sleep...

02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Very nice. It looks like someone forgot to tell you that the Q can't produce good images because of its small sensor.

You know what might help with the dynamic range? A Tiffen Low Contrast filter. I've been using one lately, and it is great. I started with Grade 2, and I just received my Grade 5 filter in the mail today (5 is the highest strength).

02-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Very nice. It looks like someone forgot to tell you that the Q can't produce good images because of its small sensor.

You know what might help with the dynamic range? A Tiffen Low Contrast filter. I've been using one lately, and it is great. I started with Grade 2, and I just received my Grade 5 filter in the mail today (5 is the highest strength).
Def knew what i was getting into, what makes a good picture is completely subjective to the person... You might like high quality zoom images of birds, i like spontaneous moments in life... How big i can blow the picture up is irrelavent...
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Def knew what i was getting into, what makes a good picture is completely subjective to the person...
Very true. It looks like this lens is the perfect companion for the Q. I anticipate that some great images will be produced with the combination.
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

hers some more photos from today...

02-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Very interesting shots bmonky.
Seems you enjoy this lens !
02-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Yeah, I like the first one best!
02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #85

Got my replacement lens today ( that was fast! ). Looks excellent and can't wait to get out there and shoot.
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Interesting post and interesting link!

However, I am not sure if I like what I see. The first ebay auction contains MTF charts at f/1.1 f/2 and f/4 for 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm, at f/4 for 100 lp/mm too (MTF50 at f/4 is 100 lp/mm). The lens clearly has its sweet spot closer to f/4 than f/2. The figures make me worry a bit.

A lens for a sensor this small must perform best below f/2.8, not above. The Pentax prime performs better at f/2 than f/4 and this must be so to resolve the tiny pixels (cf. photozone).

I advice to await first true user tests before ordering the lens. It may be a design not optimally suited for the tiny sensor.

WRT to equivalence, please read my recent paper
-> Falk Lumo: Camera equivalence

An equivalent f/6 lens is an equivalent f/6 lens, nothing makes it gather more light than this. Light gathering capability is defined by the lens aperture surface only.
Hi falconeye, does this help? I shot everything handheld (dist-to-subject and angle-of-view varied , sorry) under cool- flourescent light with "P" mode exif is intact the what's your best opinion based on this unscientific test under one condition? Objects in the foreground and background are equidistant ~7inches from the subject.

Thanks, your opinions for good or bad is very much appreciated.

03-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Hi falconeye, does this help? I shot everything handheld (dist-to-subject and angle-of-view varied , sorry) under cool- flourescent light with "P" mode exif is intact the what's your best opinion based on this unscientific test under one condition? Objects in the foreground and background are equidistant ~7inches from the subject.

Thanks, your opinions for good or bad is very much appreciated.
Thanks for the pictures, I do not have the attention span to do something like this, this will help quite a bit...
03-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Hi falconeye, does this help? I shot everything handheld (dist-to-subject and angle-of-view varied , sorry) under cool- flourescent light with "P" mode exif is intact the what's your best opinion based on this unscientific test under one condition?
It is difficult to judge. Are tose 1:1 (100%) crops, or full frames resized to 1MP each (I looked at http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6719/a1tile.jpg )?

Let me assume those are crops, otherwise, the results are rather disappointing except for F4 where not much can be said for.

Assumimg crops, F4 is sharp and the Bokeh is nice.

F5.6 and beyond is blurred and physics says that it must be so.

That the lens may not deliver at F1.x was clear from the beginning by looking at the provided MTF data. If you can live with it, fine and maybe, it delivers in video mode which is still a nice application. However, your test may not show the lens potential because this is not a very controlled test. Are we sure the contrast AF found proper focus?

I would have liked F2 to be as sharp as F4 and F2.8 to be sharper than both. This doesn't seem to be the case. For me, that's the true bummer.

That this is doable for a 25mm lens is shown in the photozone test for the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 MFT. I guess the Voigtländer clearly outperforms the Sonnetar -- and it is only marginally more expensive. However, I don't know if there are µFT/Q converters and if they autofocus. So, YMMV

However, if you want a more useful opinion, please shoot a newspaper hanging on a wall on the other side of the room (25mm is a tele!) and use tripod and a flash and timer release.
03-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
(...) Are we sure the contrast AF found proper focus?

(...) I don't know if there are µFT/Q converters and if they autofocus. (...)
Sonnetar 25mm f/1.1 and Voigtländer 25mm f/0.95 are both manual focus lenses.
03-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Thanks falconeye. Yes they were 50% reduction and yes uncontrolled i will try as you recommended and post up again, interesting comment about it's performance for video because i was thinking the exact thing seeing that the Q has SR enabled only in movie mode with this lens.
Those with this lens I'm just trying to understand the character/physics of this lens and falconeye's opinions among others on these matters i value highly on this forum.

*edit* falconeye would a lensalign be better than the newspaper?

And yes, i am very much a NOOB when it comes to properly testing a lens so please bear with me.

Last edited by Clicker; 03-04-2012 at 06:53 AM.