02-26-2012, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

First Sonnetar photographs...

So I have two series of photos on my blog @ adventuresinq.com

Feedback will be much appreciated...

02-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While the BW images do look very good, I can't help but being disappointed by the bokeh I see in the color ones. What do you think?
02-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

I'll have to be honest, the contrast and sharpness is nothing to write home about. Bokeh is a bit nervous.

Seems like you have some really slow shutter speeds for a lens of this focal length. On your flower shot you are using 1/20 (ISO 125) for a handheld 135mm equivalent lens. Are you able to manually enter the focal length for SR ( Don't have my Q yet )?

Also, do you remember the aperture range you used?
02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No SR... I shoot handheld almost all the time, why the photos are somewhat soft not the lens fault, city = big buildings with changing light every two steps and I forget to raise my ISO (so I can speed the shutter up) as I'm used to DR of film as I only shoot film besides the Q... I actually really like the bokeh and the soft feel of the lens (I cant stand the fake sharpness of digital, looks so garbage, only got the Q because I was fascinated by its design), I'm not your everyday sheeple who wants his photos to look like everyones elses... But I checked the bokeh on some xmas lights at this store solid bright circle bokeh, straight lines give a solid color, but wavey lines like flowers, plants and what not give this crazy brush stroke look and I've been looking for a lens that gives that fast swiped brush stroke look.

02-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

To each his own for style. I was merely critiquing the technical aspects of the lens.

If anything can be said about this lens, it's that the build quality and ergonomics are top notch. It does have a distinct quality and feel to the images, so if that is what you are seeking then it does not disappoint.

I'm really excited about getting out to shoot with my incoming Q+Sonnetar, so that in itself makes it worth the cost for me
02-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I want to thank all Sonnetar owners for providing the samples! So far I'm not really impressed but given how difficult it is to focus any MF lens without proper focusing aids (we NEED peaking on the Q!) and without SR... I'm convinced that better results from all of you will come soon. Thanks for sharing!
02-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I want to thank all Sonnetar owners for providing the samples! So far I'm not really impressed but given how difficult it is to focus any MF lens without proper focusing aids (we NEED peaking on the Q!) and without SR... I'm convinced that better results from all of you will come soon. Thanks for sharing!
No problem, I've posted more pictures with this lens on my blog. I shoot a very fast paced but yet methodical in a way... So I'm still learning to get used to the lens, it's not hard to get focused with still subjects, but all my subjects are moving with no intention of stoping for me so I have to zone focus and then pin point my focus just in time, so it's been hit or miss mainly miss. Give me a little more time and Ill be able to produce better results with this lens...

Last edited by wanderography; 03-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
02-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks! It seems that you're after the famous "Sonnar bokeh", isn't it? That's why I use my 58mm f/2 Takumar (pre-set) on my K-5 and previously the 5D: it's the only Sonnar-type standard lens for a 35mm SLR known to exist.

03-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I'm having difficulties handholding inside without SR but i honestly really haven't spent any time with this lens since i got it. I still had to do some PP to make up for my not understanding this lens as yet. *i usually PP most of my images*

Not understanding? It's no different than any other lens besides its good looks... If your having trouble with the lens, I would suggest quiting digital photography and moving on to film for about a year and then going back to digital photography. SR, Auto Focus, shit like that is not needed... And if you do you need to work on how you grip a camera and how you frame a shot, you dont see pro BMXers with training wheels on the track...
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

My biggest challenge thus far with the Q+Sonnetar is getting my mits in the right position.
03-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deanm3 Quote
My biggest challenge thus far with the Q+Sonnetar is getting my mits in the right position.
lol, I'm guessing you have big hands, I have small hands, the Q with a leather case and the sonnetar on it falls in my hands perfectly. I couldnt imagine using this kit with big hands...
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even hyperfocussing at F4 i have about 3m-infinity still soft had to PP some, inside a supermarket sodium lights, keepers are much less than i'd get with the fisheye so far...bmonki fyi i've shot film in many formats for many years, digital may have made me lazy though
Ya I can see what you mean with digital making ya lazy... When its wide open its gonna get a little soft, and thats what you'd expect from shooting under florescent market lights. Never have to worry about it as I do not believe in taking pictures of people or tourist while shopping, its not street photography, its supermarket voyeurism ...
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it was F4 and sodium lights fyi about 3m-infinity according to the scales and i'm try to test the lens in all conditions but so far i've been limited to indoors for now.
Sorry just a pet peeve of mine, I figured if your just testing a lens you can shoot something at the house instead snapping photos of people while there just tryin to buy there eggs... Nothing interesting about the shot and its invasive so to just be testing the lens like that is pretty rude on the subjects behalf...