Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool images in this thread. Need to post one from my Canon 50. Will look thru my shots for an example.
thanks
barondla

03-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q, Canon f0.95 TV lens (C mount). Closed lens down to f2. Fairly low contrast - misty looking wide open! This is hand held since I haven't rigged a tripod adapter for this lens. It would kill the Q hanging off the camera tripod socket! Did post processing for extra contrast and color saturation. Lens adds a neat personality to the image.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
I'd be interested in seeing the vignetting that you get with D Mount on the Q - I kinda like that look, and I'm really on the fence about buying a Q for little image experiments like that!
I think I like the vignetting now that I really look at it, I think I'll actually try and take some decent shot, but what I did notice though, this lens mount is really perfect for video on the Q, really not much vignetting at all just enough to give a really nice vintage look, I think I might get a couple more to make a little video kit...

Last edited by wanderography; 03-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
04-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #19

Hi guys. I have a question that I need verification. If I use a 1/2" CCTV lens on the Q which has a 1/2.6" sensor there would be no crop factor? Would that means using a cctv thats says 4mm, I would in fact really be getting that wide of a view? I am asking this as I bought the Q primarily to bring on hikes and climbs and I woud like to take pictures of the view I get from high up. Thank you in advance.

04-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That canon 25 is amazing but i'm trying to hold out now for Q mounts only until Pentax releases their own PK/Q adapter.
04-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aelindgard Quote
Hi guys. I have a question that I need verification. If I use a 1/2" CCTV lens on the Q which has a 1/2.6" sensor there would be no crop factor? Would that means using a cctv thats says 4mm, I would in fact really be getting that wide of a view? I am asking this as I bought the Q primarily to bring on hikes and climbs and I woud like to take pictures of the view I get from high up. Thank you in advance.
Hi Aelindgard,

FL is FL, so a 4mm lens, regardless of the format that it's designed for will give you a 22mm EQ FOV. Format is relevant in these lenses as this would determine whether there might be vignetting from too small an image circle. 1/2" is larger than the Q's 1/2.3", so there would be no problem in this regard.

Scott
04-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Aelindgard,

FL is FL, so a 4mm lens, regardless of the format that it's designed for will give you a 22mm EQ FOV. Format is relevant in these lenses as this would determine whether there might be vignetting from too small an image circle. 1/2" is larger than the Q's 1/2.3", so there would be no problem in this regard.

Scott
Thanks for the answer. Let me see if I get this correct, unless a lens is specifically stated as a wide angle lens, even if it it says C-mount varifocal 4mm-10mm 1/2" it would still give me a 22mm FOV regardless of me putting it at 4mm or 10mm? I do apologize for asking so many weird questions.

04-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aelindgard Quote
Thanks for the answer. Let me see if I get this correct, unless a lens is specifically stated as a wide angle lens, even if it it says C-mount varifocal 4mm-10mm 1/2" it would still give me a 22mm FOV regardless of me putting it at 4mm or 10mm? I do apologize for asking so many weird questions.
Hi Aelindgard,

As a varifocal going from 4mm to 10mm, this lens would provide between a 22mm EQ FOV at 4mm to 55mm EQ FOV at 10mm and everything in between, so it would be considered to have a wide to normal range. There are different conventions that 35mm photographers have adhered to, so it really depends on who's opinion that you ask, but many will say that anything shorter than 35mm is a wide angle, 35-60mm is a normal, and anything over 60 is a telephoto.

In angles of view, for a 35mm format camera, 22MM gives @ 79° horizontally in the frame, and 55mm gives @32°. A a subject distance of 10 feet, this would give you approximate coverage of @ 16.3 feet wide at 22mm and @ 6.5 feet wide at 55mm.

There are not many photography related questions that are weird enough to feel compelled to apologize for asking here, so don't worry. . . we've all been there at some time. . .

Scott
02-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #24

It seems this is not a popular theme, but when I got my Q second hand a c mout adapter came with it.
I asked the seller what system "c mount" was and the only reply I got is, they are very expensive.

So I was looking into c mount lenses and found they are quite available and in reasonable price, however then it is something different then what I'm used to in photography.
Even if I would love to have the Pentax-08, but do not see the investment in that one coming soon. I have the Pentax-02 5-15mm zoom. More telephoto I will do via adapter.
The pentax-03 seems a good choice as well, but still quite a cost, people hang on to it it seems.

So I was thinking of experimenting with real cine or cctv lenses on the c-mount, probably very cheap in flee market kind of photo shops.
I already learned that 1/2" is larger than the Q's 1/2.3", which will be very helpful.
Looking around I noticed that many CCTV lenses are fixed on f1.25 or so and have other designations like for 2MP camera or enhancements for night vision.

Does anyone have experience with how to see what lens could work? How do you find them (e.g. do you look for old filming cameras and then just use the lens)?
Does anyone love the effect of the cctv lens they own?
It seems most very wide lenses are CS mount for 1/3" sensors, so no good for my c-adaptor and not that good for the Q sensor (lots of vignetting to be expected).
02-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #25

There are many options for C Mount lenses - which are different from CCTV lenses, by the way. look for lenses from 16mm Bolex movie cameras, Switars, Lytars, and the like. These lenses are Swiss and are high quality. There are also French manufacturers called Angenieux and Som Berthiot that made great lenses - however, all of these can be very pricey. More affordable options would be some Sony and Yashica movie and tv lenses, and Elgeet and Wollensak movie lenses.

I own several Wollensak cinema lenses - both in C and D mount - from old home movie cameras that can be gotten fairly affordably on ebay or craigslist (look for the Revere 16 for C Mount). The Cine Raptar series is their higher quality line (Velostigmat are of a lower quality). I have a Wollensak C Mount 25mm Cine Raptar off of a Revere 16 that makes a great telephoto for the Q and has a good quality image. I had a C Mount 17mm Raptar, but my Som made better images so I sold it.

there is some trial and error finding the gems in the C Mount world, but they are quite fun to use and can produce some very lovely images.

Last edited by emergo; 02-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.
02-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Would be awesome if I could find a nice 4mm or so C mount in 1/2" format, pretty sure they would all be fairly low quality for CCTV though
02-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #27

Yes, it certainly would be!

I've seen plenty of 6.5mm D Mount movie lenses out there, but nothing as wide as a 4, and certainly not for C Mount (i'm wrong about this - see below from Shawn67).

there is a ton of vignetting with the 6.5mm D Mount Cine Raptar I own - you almost see the entire image circle. not very useful. I get the same with the Raptar D Mount tele I have as well. All the 13mm D Mounts I have cover the Q sensor just fine, but again, it's hard to tell what's going to work for you until you try it on the camera.

I'm very disappointed that Ricoh/Pentax has not released proper wide and tele primes (that is, lenses not in the toy/creative series). I don't like zooms in general, and the size of the zooms on the Q really undermine the philosophy of an ultra compact ILC (in my opinion). this gap is what has led me to seek out legacy lenses - which resulted in finding a few lenses that have expanded the artistic quality of my photos, so I wouldn't give them up now, even if "better" options existed.

Last edited by emergo; 04-05-2014 at 08:38 AM.
02-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Yes, it will be interesting to see the size of the new tele/macro lens coming out

I must say I was impressed with the 08 wide when I saw size comparison pics of it, it really isnt much bigger than the 01
02-16-2014, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #29

" but nothing as wide as a 4, and certainly not for C Mount"

They are out there. I have a 2.5mm C mount fisheye for example. Pentax/Cosmicar has a 4.8mm C mount lens that is a nice focal length on the Q. I have a 3.6mm (I think) but it optically isn't as good as the 4.8.

Shawn
02-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
" but nothing as wide as a 4, and certainly not for C Mount"

They are out there. I have a 2.5mm C mount fisheye for example. Pentax/Cosmicar has a 4.8mm C mount lens that is a nice focal length on the Q. I have a 3.6mm (I think) but it optically isn't as good as the 4.8.

Shawn
nice - I'll have to keep my eye out for those, they would be very handy!