Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The C and D mount lens club

I guess Adam or one of the other mods will move this to the lens club thread sooner than later, but I'd love to show the shots here first...

So far most of the D and C mount lenses I have don't quite cut it on the Q. Here's the first one I like a lot. It's a Canon 25mm f/1.4 TV lens (C mount). I like the bokeh (which is not swirly, thank god) and it's fairly contrasty and sharp. My samples are not really interesting but it shows how the lens performs in difficult conditions (OOF branches and sunlit subjects; interestingly the bokeh looks "hazy" and there's no sign of OOF CA. It looks as if the lens has lower contrast in the OOF areas, possibly delivering great 3D pop).

Last edited by Asahiflex; 02-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I also used a nice heavy chromed brass Sun Opt. 1½" 1:1.9 Telephoto lens. This one looks like it dates from the 50's. Unfortunately it has a fairly strong field curvature, meaning that the focus plane is not flat. You'll notice that in Photo #3: both her head and feet are in focus, her coat around the belly is not

02-27-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Yashica Cine Yashikor is in fact made by... Zunow! I've seen exactly this lens with a Zunow engraving on a Yashica double 8 movie camera. And it's no surprise that Zunow was bought by... Yashica.

Optically the lens is very low in contrast and it's not very sharp either. But it makes for nice soft focus effects

02-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the encouraging samples. Makes the Q look a lot better.

02-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My pleasure! I think the Q is a little hard to use with old MF glass, mainly because of the inadequate MF aids (it really needs a focus peaking firmware). So one would need a lot of patience to get sharp shots out of it.
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just won a switar 5.5mm 1.8 on the bay... I'll post images from it when it gets in, hopefully it makes a decent enough wide angle...
02-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope so too! So far my own experience with wide angles were not that good... Will try to post some pictures today.

02-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few more shots with the Canon 25/1.4 and the Cosmicar (Pentax) 8-48/1.0-1.2 (both C-mount lenses). The zoom is very hard to use and not that sharp wide open, but hey... it's f/1.0!

Far from ideal lighting also (TV set). And shot at ISO 400, so some noise should be expected

1. F/2

2. F/2

3. Wide open

4. Stopped down to f/2.8
03-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's far from ideal weather outside, but again some samples with the Canon 25mm f/1.4 TV lens.

03-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pictures have a bit of film quality to em dueto the slight noise, I like it... I'll be waiting a little longer to use my switar as I ordered a C mount adapter, I could of sworn I got a D, guess not lol...
03-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
Cool thread. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to actually start using the Q seriously with C mount lenses.

How close can these lenses focus usually? And how well do the images look at large size? Can you post some 100% crops from the sharper specimens?
03-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Heres a shot with my Switar 5.5 1.8 D mount, its real nice, focus is nice everything is nice but I do not like the vignetting which means I'd have to crop every image I shoot not a big fan of that...

Last edited by wanderography; 03-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
03-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #13

I'd be interested in seeing the vignetting that you get with D Mount on the Q - I kinda like that look, and I'm really on the fence about buying a Q for little image experiments like that!
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Albums
Since I've last checked this thread, I got a C mount lens to use on my MFT. Based on my experience, it sounds like these lenses should work great on the Q, but one should be careful that they pick lenses that can cover the Q sensor size, because C-mount lenses are made for a variety of sensor sizes and some are smaller than the Q sensor.

On the MFT, despite the larger sensor, I saw little vignetting. Instead, the resolution was degrading towards the borders. But it was very, very good in the center, which I think makes these lenses very promising for use with the Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
think the Q is a little hard to use with old MF glass, mainly because of the inadequate MF aids (it really needs a focus peaking firmware).
I expect the Q does have the ability to zoom into the frame with a button press for checking focus, like the DSLRs have, right? That should be good enough for helping with manual focusing.
03-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I expect the Q does have the ability to zoom into the frame with a button press for checking focus, like the DSLRs have, right?
Indeed it does. Furthemore, in Play mode you can set the wheel that zooms in to start at any magnification level offered by the camera, for instance I chose to immediately go to x8.0 to check sharpness.