Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens prices still at full retail

So the price of the Q body has dropped significantly since its introduction. But the lenses all seems to be still selling at full retail value. I'd love to pick up the fisheye or the Standard Zoom, but I was hoping for a deal. Has anyone seen a place that's offered a discount on these? Searches show a few stores selling the zoom at a discount, but they seem possibly sketchy. Buy.com has the fisheye for like $17 cheaper than retail. That's about it.

02-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
So the price of the Q body has dropped significantly since its introduction. But the lenses all seems to be still selling at full retail value. I'd love to pick up the fisheye or the Standard Zoom, but I was hoping for a deal. Has anyone seen a place that's offered a discount on these? Searches show a few stores selling the zoom at a discount, but they seem possibly sketchy. Buy.com has the fisheye for like $17 cheaper than retail. That's about it.
Don't expect it. I bought the 35/2.4 (k mount) when it first came out and it has dropped $40 or more since then. But they sold tremendous amounts of them. I would guess that for prices on any lens to drop much they have to be producing and selling a large volume. At the least they have to recoup development and manufacturing start up costs back. Many of the lenses that have been around for years have actually risen in price.
03-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So of course within a week of buying the 02 zoom at full retail price of $299USD, I see many shops now selling it at about $250USD. I even found a place that had the 03 fisheye for $79. That one I did pounce on. google for "idaho camera" if you're interested. Webpage says they are an authorized Pentax dealer.
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fisheye is my favourite so far for everything but i think the Sonnetar will definitely be used for portraits. I've hardly ever touched the 01, i'm at either extremes of the focal length.

Congrats on your 03, i think you're going to love it.