Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q + 85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic Takumar

I will never get this chance again (the owner of this lens was here so that I could check the lens for him) and I just had to use it on the Q!

All shots wide open... I'm sorry for the excessive CA and PF

02-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Peter,

Very Interesting! I vaguely remember hearing about these highly specialized lenses way back when, but had never seen one or even talked to anyone who's ever seen one. Had to look it up. . .Did your friend have the entire set with the filters? How much is one of these worth?

The Lens elements are made from flourite and quartz, and corrects for CA from UV to IR, and it looks like this really works. I can't find a hint, anywhere, and these are some shots that would definitely promote this. These lenses apparently have no focus shift from UV all the way to IR, and can be focused visually.

What a rare opportunity -- must have made your Q feel very priviledged

Scott
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WOW !

i can't believe you found someone who possessed this lens. It's incredible (both -lens and opportunity-)

Keep his or her number

Picture show how this lens is so efficient about suppressing CA, it's truely impressive.
02-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Scott, I felt very privileged indeed. It's not everyday that one gets to try a lens of which hardly 50 examples are known to exist. Did you know that all of its elements are completely uncoated? Despite that it's very sharp and contrasty, it was an eye-opener for me.

Unfortunately this lens was found without any additional accessories, so it's only the lens. The lens itself is very worn on the outside, but it is still a Takumar in all aspects: very smooth, well-dampened focus ring and a clean and snappy diaphragm.

One important warning for possible future users: never touch any of its elements, and never disassemble it! Also keep it away from moisture. The lens elements are very brittle and very soft. They are easily scratched. It's almost impossible to take it apart without damaging the elements. So as such it's not really suitable for normal users...

02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Two questions,

1) What's so special about this lens? Never heard of it.

2) Peter, when are we going to see pictures of your SMC Pentax-F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] with the Q?

EDIT: Just remembered I recently bought the Takumar Bible, gotta take a look.

Last edited by Raffwal; 02-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Two questions,
1) What's so special about this lens? Never heard of it.
Well, you've never heard of it just because it is special! It was intended for scientific work (photographing UV and IR light). You may know that normal lenses have an IR marking because of the focus shift for light in wavelenghts that we cannot see. Unlike our everyday lenses this lens is a perfect achromat, i.e. different colors will focus in the same plane (normal lenses won't and show chromatic abberation).

It's unsuitable for normal users because of the fragility of the lens elements.

QuoteQuote:
2) Peter, when are we going to see pictures of your SMC Pentax-F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] with the Q?
I'd love to, but I have sold that lens a long time ago. Sorry! It was just a monster of a lens which sat in its case for most of the time. But rest assured: it went to another PF member.
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'd love to, but I have sold that lens a long time ago. Sorry!
Oh, that would've been interesting to see, although probably not too practical. BTW, you still have the lens in your signature. Hence the question.