Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q comparison to similar cameras

There is a tendency to compare the Pentax Q with other MILC cameras (because it has interchangeable lenses) whereas it would be fairer and more helpful (IMHO) to compare it with compact enthusiast cameras such as the Olympus XZ-1 or the Canon s100, which are of comparable volume and sensor area.

Can anyone point to comparisons with these cameras, or if not, perhaps outline the salient points?

Sparkston

02-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's cuter
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They are in different worlds in terms of price and serve different markets, even if the final photographic results are similar. Personally I'd choose the Panasonic DMC-LX5 in preference to the Canon S95, Samsung TL500, or Olympus XZ-1. All are available for about half the price of the Q (with one prime), and are more versatile out of the box. They also have larger sensors though I doubt that makes much difference. I would make the decision based on price and features.
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
They are in different worlds in terms of price
That's rubbish. On Amazon uk, the prices are

Olympus XZ-1 275
Pentax Q 329
Canon s100 360

I would also dispute that they serve different markets- I am in the "very compact camera with good manual controls" market, and the three cameras mentioned above all seem to be reasonable candidates.

Sparkston

02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sparkston Quote
That's rubbish. On Amazon uk, the prices are

Olympus XZ-1 275
Pentax Q 329
Canon s100 360

I would also dispute that they serve different markets- I am in the "very compact camera with good manual controls" market, and the three cameras mentioned above all seem to be reasonable candidates.

Sparkston
Interesting prices. Over here, the Pentax Q is about $650USD and the S100 is about $450USD (Amazon non-discounted prices). S100 over there seems overpriced for some reason.
02-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Interesting prices. Over here, the Pentax Q is about $650USD and the S100 is about $450USD (Amazon non-discounted prices). S100 over there seems overpriced for some reason.
Hmm. I see your point, at US prices the decision would be a no-brainer. Nevertheless, I would appreciate comments to help make the choice in the context of UK prices, which it seems to me make the pentax Q a serious contender.

Sparkston
02-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

No XZ1 here but i do have the LX5 and prices here in Toronto are close the Q being +~$50, just based on size i got the Q because i like the wide view on life and i don't like people getting between me and my images

I chose the LX5 as it starts at 24mm but i like wider so i got the wide conversion lens with adapter to get me to 18mm but with the Q i just get a lens without having to fuss with attaching an adapter then the conversion lens.

IQ of course the rule of thumb bigger sensor better IQ this holds true for current sensor technology

For me better IQ usually means a better print and usually a bigger print if desired BUT do i always print? and i say "no", so when i post to social sites forums included the Q is in my eyes is "perfect" because the images are only as good as the monitor the viewers are looking at.

These are my reasons for the Q and i use the Q within those constraints if one sees them as such (i don't)

As seen in the attached photo size and lens changing is a factor to me BUT i still can carry both at the same time if for any reason i see something i'd like to print big and i know the Q isn't right and they're both light enough to carry both systems vs my DSLR bag.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Clicker; 02-29-2012 at 11:19 AM.
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got both the Q and the Olympus XZ-1. They are very different cameras.

The Q has GREAT ergonomics. I'm used to my K-5, so the interface is very natural to me. It feels like using a miniaturized version of a Pentax DSLR. The 01 Prime lens is nice, but I find the 47mm FoV equivalence to be longer than ideal for a walkaround lens. The zoom is nice, but not very fast. The flash settings are confusing if you want to use an external flash. Internal flash only has +1 to -2 EV compensation.

The XZ-1 is a great camera, but the interface isn't as good as the Q IMO. It does have the ring around the lens, so you can actually control Aperture with that and shutter speed with the thumb dial. So that's nice. The internal flash can be set to full manual mode. So you can set it to 1/16 power with NO PREFLASH. This is nice if you use external slave flashes. The lens is also quite fast at F/1.8 at the wide end to F/2.2 at the long end. With full zoom and wide open, you can get some pretty good out of focus backgrounds. The downside of the XZ-1 is partly on image quality. If you look at dxomark, the RAW sensor performance is inferior to the Q in all categories. S/N ratio, dynamic range, tonal range, and color sensitivity. This is despite having a larger sensor.

So in summary, the XZ-1 is a great camera for someone that's going to have only 1 camera. The Q is a great companion if you own and love a DSLR.

02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's rubbish.
So, you found some different prices and so declare my info as "rubbish"? Perhaps if you did a survey of the top 100 sellers and gave me a standard deviation I might appreciate your sweeping insult more.

I would also dispute that they serve different markets
Dispute all you like, but your preferences do not a market make. Most point and shoot users want a zoom and all-in-one functionality. The first thing they do when they pick up a camera is to wonder how to zoom in. The Q with kit prime is only perplexing for this market.
02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
So in summary, the XZ-1 is a great camera for someone that's going to have only 1 camera. The Q is a great companion if you own and love a DSLR.
Good summary!
07-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Would be nice to see some low-light comparison shots between the Q and the XZ-1. Some medium and high ISO, both JPG and processed RAW (to clean up noise at the very least). I find the raw ISO comparison I've found on the net to be not particularly useful, because I would never be satisfied with an image with so much noise. (I don't normally shoot raw either). My primary concerns are center sharpness and low light/high ISO performance. I'm considering the TL500, XZ-1, and now the Q, since it's been coming down in price rather consistently.

Charles.
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I think the pundits missed the point (and Pentax a strategic product launch mistake) when the Q was released.
It was the first MILC from Pentax and many assumed it was their only response to the high end m4/3/APS-C MILC market.
In fact, the Q was only Pentax's take on advanced pns cameras.
Pricing was a BIG mistake imo.

Comparing the Q to any other pns is pointless.
Pns will still be pns at the end of the day.
They will all give about the same IQ at pixel peeping levels.
Its not going to be just a small step backwards in IQ over m4/3 or larger sensors.
So a pns camera is an additional system for the enthusiast.
It is preferably used for normal viewing purposes to keep one's sanity.
Use it knowing its limitations and one will be happy (for any pns)

The price of the Q now is very reasonable.
Remember that the lens is usable on future models.
Other pns, you throw away everything for the next model.

The unique lens options (eg. fisheye) and adapted lenses that utilize the 5.5x crop factor lets it do what other pns can't.
07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't care about any of that. I care about image quality and ISO performance and a fast lens. I'm leaning towards Olympus because the images I've seen are very sharp, and the zoom lens is quite fast throughout the entire range. I keep hearing the Q's sensor performs better even though it's smaller than the XZ-1's, but I haven't seen side-by-side proof. I like the controls of the Q and the near instant shutter release, and the fact I can slap my external flash on with no problems. But a fixed f1.9 lens is not as useful as a 28-112mm f1.8-f2.5, especially one as sharp as the Olympus. I'm willing to be swayed, but I need something to sway me.

Don't bother with manual focus or adapters or anything though, I can't manual focus worth a damn, those won't hold any weight with me. ISO performance, center sharpness, and fast lenses do...

Something like this: Olympus XZ-1 Review: Digital Photography Review is what I want to see done for Olympus vs Q.

Charles.
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
JHD
Veteran Member

I don't care what DXO or anyone says, I had a Q and now I have an XZ-1. While the Q is a very enjoyable to use, the XZ-1 produces vastly superior images. In that regard there's just no comparison.
07-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I don't care about any of that. I care about image quality and ISO performance and a fast lens. I'm leaning towards Olympus because the images I've seen are very sharp, and the zoom lens is quite fast throughout the entire range. I keep hearing the Q's sensor performs better even though it's smaller than the XZ-1's, but I haven't seen side-by-side proof. I like the controls of the Q and the near instant shutter release, and the fact I can slap my external flash on with no problems. But a fixed f1.9 lens is not as useful as a 28-112mm f1.8-f2.5, especially one as sharp as the Olympus. I'm willing to be swayed, but I need something to sway me.

Don't bother with manual focus or adapters or anything though, I can't manual focus worth a damn, those won't hold any weight with me. ISO performance, center sharpness, and fast lenses do...

Something like this: Olympus XZ-1 Review: Digital Photography Review is what I want to see done for Olympus vs Q.

Charles.

Get a large compact like the K01