Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Manual focus assist and Toy lenses

Hi friends,
sorry if that has already been asked, but I just got today the full set of toy lenses and I wonder how to have the MF assist (4x) to she up automatically upon turning the focus ring, as it happens for 01 and 02 lenses.
Although I set the MF assist on 4x in the setup (and it regularly works with the 01 and 02 lenses), when I mount one of the three toy lenses it does not turns on, unless I click on the OK button. Reading the manual, it seems to me that this is not the expected behavior.
Are your Qs behaving this way? Is there some counterintuitive trick buried somewhere in the menus?
Thanks!
-P.

03-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Hello,
yes, clicking the OK button is necessary to get the magnification as selected in the menu (x2 or x4 only...), and to stop it (as well as putting the finger on the shooting button) with non prime lenses.
Then you can move the "zoomed area" across the screen with the 4 pads to select/adjust your focussing area.
03-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #3

That's Pentax cutting corners for you, I am afraid. Reducing the cost of those three non-AF lenses as much as possible. Could have had a simple sensor there telling the camera when you are turning the MF ring, maybe even allowing for automatic flash adjustment depending on the (rough) MF ring position. But since Pentax did not even bother providing the howwibly howwibly expensive filter thread on the two toy lenses that could have easily had it...
03-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I agree, that's a bit of a wastage. More-over these lenses are not that bad optically...

03-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

By the way, even the Fisheye lens is a toy lens in all respects (even it's not marked as such): plastic mount, no MF assist other than through the OK button, no nothing
03-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

The fish-eye and the "toy tele" are good lenses, I have them both. Cannot vouch for the "toy wide" lens though, firstly it is not really wide and secondly, the full-size samples I have seen so far, like on DCResource, have horrible chromatic aberrations.
03-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks you all, it's always nice to hear you're not the only one (aka, "it's not an issue: it's a feature").
Regarding quality: I'm still playing with the new toys, for the moment I really like the fish-eye and the tele. Next step will be to play with the wide and to try finding a creative framework for its "horrible chromatic aberrations" (which is one of the points of the Q system, isn't it?).
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
By the way, even the Fisheye lens is a toy lens in all respects (even it's not marked as such): plastic mount, no MF assist other than through the OK button, no nothing
Well, there is one difference. The fisheye has the SP Coating that the 01 Prime and 02 Zoom have. The toy lenses don't have this coating. This coating is supposed to help resist dust, water, and grease.

03-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Well, there is one difference. The fisheye has the SP Coating that the 01 Prime and 02 Zoom have. The toy lenses don't have this coating. This coating is supposed to help resist dust, water, and grease.
Thanks, I did not know that.
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
This coating is supposed to help resist dust...
Unfortunately, it does not. Well, not on the fish-eye at least. And even a small dust speck on the front element of this fish-eye lens can spoil a shot with one or several bright light sources in the frame, as I learned the hard way when photographing a city at night. Not a big deal as you just have to remember to wipe it clean, but I did not have this issue when I was using the Sony NEX fish-eye add-on lens.
03-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
The fish-eye and the "toy tele" are good lenses, I have them both. Cannot vouch for the "toy wide" lens though, firstly it is not really wide and secondly, the full-size samples I have seen so far, like on DCResource, have horrible chromatic aberrations.
On your advice on an earlier post through your samples i went with the fisheye and as you know i'm VERY happy with this lens after initial use of the Sonnetar i think i'll just go ahead and pick up the rest of the Pentax lens line up for the Q as they're relatively inexpensive.
I would argue on the other hand that the toy wide would be good for those who don't like the distortion of the fisheye but want something sligthly wider than the 01...i think this is what Pentax was looking at?

The toy lenses may not offer the better optics but as JC said in his video, they offer that "fun" appeal with all the built-in filters and the shooter's creativity i think some may put the combination to good use, something we all forget is not everyone is after tack sharp, high res images.
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #12

I see no point in getting/using the "toy wide" instead of the zoom lens. Other lenses have certain advantages over the zoom lens, while also having as good image quality as the zoom lens: the "toy tele" has a bit longer reach and is so tiny, the fish-eye is much wider even after de-fishing, the kit prime has the aperture of 1.9. Better get/use the zoom and forget about the "toy wide", unless you need a high level of chromatic aberrations for some specific artistic purpose?
03-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Is the CA on the wide that bad? i don't have one.
03-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Is the CA on the wide that bad? i don't have one.
You decide for yourself, view the last 3 full-size images here:
Pentax Q Photo Gallery | Digital Camera Resource Page
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
You decide for yourself, view the last 3 full-size images here:
Pentax Q Photo Gallery | Digital Camera Resource Page
Actually that;s not too bad for posting online.