Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q low light?

How does this camera perform in lower light situations.

I have the NEX for my "pocket camera" but still find it too big sometimes. I may put it up on local markets to see if I can get enough money for a Q/V1, or something of that nature that is more pocketable.

My issue is that most of the situations where I can't use my K5 are low light. Hence why I returned my J1 originally for the NEX. But now I never use the NEX....

@ 400iso the J1 was near useless. Just noisy noisy noisy. The sales rep @ my local shops tell me that iso noise will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update. They showed me that if your reset the camera a few times the noise goes away...for a little while. So its a known issue.

Before jumping back to the 1 series though... I wanna know how good the q does in iso 400-800 range? Can anyone post me some full res shots in that iso range (pref original download files so I can get a good idea) in real situations... preferably if anyone can shoot a local band playing at the local tavern. as this is where I could see me using the camera the most.

thanks

03-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The lenses of the V1 are pretty large so don't know how much you'll gain by that.

btw we are talking about Low light now and not just ISO is important but the aperture as well so to get the full picture you need to include lenses as well.
03-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High iso samples are here, Foto Album

Click on the images to get full size.
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

high ISO shooting is for specialty shooting, maybe you want to freeze a moving subject with the background blurred? But other than that, lowlight should be done with a fast lens and not to go over ISO 400, I NEVER go over ISO 400 and when shooting film I never go over 100, ISO is over rated, your just gonna make all your images look like shit, learn to use natural and ambient light in low light situations...

03-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, I understand low light requires a fast lens. And on my K5 I usually only mate it with my M 50mm 1.7 for low light shooting and run iso 40 0.

I'm more worried about hand shake with the Q as I'm not familiar with the lenses enough.