Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Disappointed by the Q zoom?

Had a large discount opportunity today so tried the Q zoom in-store for the first time, must say I was underwhelmed by the image quality at wide angle. According to the few reviews/user opinions out there, it should be fine already at 2.8, well it was not. Not tack sharp in the middle and very poor corners (and I shoot cropped to 3:2). Dunno if this was a bad copy or I expected too much. There was no other copy to try and I definitely did not want to spend any money on this one. With a sensor this small, stopping down is not a good option, so it really should be good at 2.8 already. Will try again later and in another place, maybe I will get lucky.
So any Q zoom owners, are you happy with the corners at wide angle + wide open?

03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hello,
absolutely no quality issue with mine, significantly better wide open and f/2.8 than the prime @ f/1.9.
Some of my internet samples with this zoom here :
Flickr: Search Zygonyx's photostream
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
02 Zoom Thoughts

I know this thread is a bit old, but I am a new Q owner. I am fine with the standard prime (I am more of a prime person on APS-C) but I'm definitely curious about the zoom because of the limited lens options. Adam gave it decent marks in the sites review and I see a person here or there that seems happy. But I've noticed (specifically in some recent unrelated posts) that people seem less than satisfied with the zoom. At this point do people here think there is a larger consensus on this zoom? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
07-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I do not have any problems with the build or image quality, I just do not use it much because it is too big.
Q with 01 is very compact and fits my pockets perfectly,
so it is not the matter of being satisfied, it is all about the convenience.

07-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

I'm fairly dissatisfied with the performance. I either have a superb prime or a slightly subpar zoom; but there is a distinct quality drop when I use the zoom, both in contrast and sharpness. Is it still good? Yes... But some of the "magic" of the Q disappears when using the Zoom, partially because of the contrast loss, the smaller aperture and resulting increase in DoF, and partially because in my case it acts like a heavier AA filter and exacerbates NR detail smearing. I use lowest NR, no dynamic range optimization, and fine sharpness +1, and the differences between zoom and prime are clear at these settings.

Physically, I think it's awesome. So smooth to use and the build quality is excellent.

My dissatisfaction centers more around the fact I expected it to make the Q a viable all-in-one travel solution, and for me, it doesn't achieve that lofty goal.

At this point, I think the best that can be garnered from the Q sensor can only come from primes.

Now.... For fun and family snaps, the zoom is pretty darn good. I've enjoyed it for that. But given the chance to make the choice again, I wouldn't buy it, choosing to spend the money on something with a better zoom. I did the latter, anyway :/