Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Walked around with a Q

Hello all,

Last Sunday, a salesman friend of mine managed to get an assortment of cameras from some of his suppliers. I joined the little group as we walked around an industrial area south of Antwerp (where I live in Belgium) trying these cameras. There were two Pentax cameras present: the K-01 and the Q.

I'll be brief about the K-01: it doesn't suit me as there are too many characteristics that I found annoying and too little features that seem an added value for me. It may be good for other people, but not for me.

The Q is another thing. I loved it!! Coming from the W80 Optio (=the last small sensor camera I used) it won't surprise you I was amazed by the IQ. Nothing like my K-5 obviously, but that's no surprise either. Esp the RAW capability is a boon for me, as this allows me to get a similar look for images regardless the camera. Previous compacts were never good enough to keep carrying them around, so I left them at home after a few days. I have a feeling the Q has what it takes to become a permanent companion.

So I've been looking around a bit, and am strongly considering purchasing a Q with the 01 standard optic, probably with the (unfortunately) optional lens hood. I like the look even better with that hood.

I actually decided to abandon my search for long FA* glass for a while in light of the announced K2Q adapter. Being able to turn a mild tele lens into an ultra tele by adding the Q+adapter onto it makes for a very light weight travel solution to extreme tele, for a much lower price.

Which brings me to my first question. Any idea when this adapter will be available?

I'm silently hoping a Q2 may be even better, and perhaps worth the wait, but I wonder what the product cycle for this system will be like? If it's anything like other small sensor cameras, the Q2 shouldn't be far away? Well, I won't wait for a Photokina announcement as I will have use for this little gem too soon after that fair. So it'll probably be a Q anyway.

Now which version... I used the white version and seem to like it better than the black (because of the silver lens). But the limited silver edition is really the most beautiful! I don't seem to be able to find it on-line though. Anyone have an idea where it can still be had (if they haven't all been sold in the mean time that is...)?

Tx! Wim

03-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

According to the Press Release, the K2Q adapter is slated for Spring of 2012.
03-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Dont forget you can get a JJC brand copy of the optional lens hood on ebay for very cheap

EDIT - link here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JJC-Metal-Lens-Hood-Cap-Pentax-Q-8-5mm-Lens-replace-M...item5649329b74
03-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
According to the Press Release, the K2Q adapter is slated for Spring of 2012.
So I read. Isn't today the first day of Spring 2012?

Wim

03-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recollection was that the limited edition silver Q's were being sold only through the Pentax Online source and not through retailers. Might try your local Pentax website to see if they are still offering it.
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

I actually decided to abandon my search for long FA* glass for a while in light of the announced K2Q adapter. Being able to turn a mild tele lens into an ultra tele by adding the Q+adapter onto it makes for a very light weight travel solution to extreme tele, for a much lower price.

Which brings me to my first question. Any idea when this adapter will be available?
I've already bought a K-Q adapter, though it is not a Pentax one. An eBay search should turn up the vendor.
03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tx for the pointers everyone!

Seems the hood can be had cheap without anyone noticing it's a copy, and for the adapter there's an alternative too (albeit probably without built in shutter that the Pentax one will(?) have).

I'm trying for the Silver limited, but if that fails, I'm still not sure which colour to take. Been watching some YouTube videos on the Q, mostly featuring the black version, and that looks good too... Difficult choice that will be...

Wim
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

happens all the time. Once a photographer actually uses a Q they are hooked. The controls, menus, and over all camera were designed by people who actually use cameras. It is pure joy to use.

I pray the Q is the future. It would be so nice to not have to carry a 30lb camera bag for a day of intense shooting. For now the Q rides along in the bag with the other K cams. If 300 mm on a K isn't enough the Q and K adapter jump in to fill the hole. It is very liberating to have a high quality 1650mm fov lens available at all times. I so wanted Pentax to bring out a big lens and when they finally did ( 560) I don't even care.

Get a Q you won't regret it. I have used the Q to steal photographers from other brands than. One a FF caNikon user, the other a Canikon man. Next up a FF Sony shooter. This is too much fun. I have 10 interchangeable lens digital cameras and the only one shot as much as the Q in the last 6 months is the K-7.
thanks
barondla

03-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
happens all the time. Once a photographer actually uses a Q they are hooked. The controls, menus, and over all camera were designed by people who actually use cameras. It is pure joy to use.

I pray the Q is the future. It would be so nice to not have to carry a 30lb camera bag for a day of intense shooting. For now the Q rides along in the bag with the other K cams. If 300 mm on a K isn't enough the Q and K adapter jump in to fill the hole. It is very liberating to have a high quality 1650mm fov lens available at all times. I so wanted Pentax to bring out a big lens and when they finally did ( 560) I don't even care.

Get a Q you won't regret it. I have used the Q to steal photographers from other brands than. One a FF caNikon user, the other a Canikon man. Next up a FF Sony shooter. This is too much fun. I have 10 interchangeable lens digital cameras and the only one shot as much as the Q in the last 6 months is the K-7.
thanks
barondla
I agree 100% on the above. While owning a superb K-5 and loads of K-mount lenses only two things can entice me now: the Q and a FF Pentax. That's all I'd ever need for the rest of my life
03-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've already bought a K-Q adapter, though it is not a Pentax one. An eBay search should turn up the vendor.
I see three different types:
- standard adapter only
- adapter with tripod mount
- adapter with aperture control ring

Which do you have? Tripod mount can be good for getting the weight of a heavy lens off the Q's mount. For the one with the aperture control ring I'm not sure what this does? The combination of both doesn't seem to exist, so for now the one with tripod mount seems the best option?

Wim
03-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I agree 100% on the above. While owning a superb K-5 and loads of K-mount lenses only two things can entice me now: the Q and a FF Pentax. That's all I'd ever need for the rest of my life
Same here (except for the FF, I'm dreaming of a 645D that I will never own).

Wim
03-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I see three different types:
- standard adapter only
- adapter with tripod mount
- adapter with aperture control ring

Which do you have? Tripod mount can be good for getting the weight of a heavy lens off the Q's mount. For the one with the aperture control ring I'm not sure what this does? The combination of both doesn't seem to exist, so for now the one with tripod mount seems the best option?
Hi Wim,

I have the RJ K to Q adapter and it had both the tripod mount and aperture control. The aperture control is mainly for DA and FAJ series lenses that don't have aperture rings on the lens. Without the aperture control, you'd have to block the aperture wide open to use one of these lenses as their natural state is stopped down all the way when not mounted on a camera. On the RJ adapter, there are six detents which I assume stop the aperture iris down close to equal amounts from wide open. Since diffraction seems to be an issue past f4-f5.6, I usually don't use more than a couple of the detent positions anyway.

The RJ adapter is available from "jinfinance" on ebay.
RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay

On the RJ, my experience is that the tripod mount is relatively useless as it comes. The screws were so small (2mm?) that one stripped out after a few uses with anything heavier than the lightest lenses. I had originally planned to drill and tap for larger screws, but never got to it and found sturdy removable tripod rings that fit most of the K lenses that I'd use with the Q -- and found that I wanted a rotating ring for these lenses anyway. I contacted RJ about the screw problem, and he might have made them more robust, but I wouldn't count on it.

The Pentax OEM K to Q adapter that someone took a picture of recently had a very stout looking tripod mount (someone said it looked like the one that comes with the DA* 300/4), and if this is the one that they release, then it should be more than sufficient for any lens that doesn't come with it's own ring. If this one also has a shutter mechanism, I expect it will be very expensive, but it would be worthwhile to me for the shutter alone. If the tripod mount doesn't rotate, I'd probably just remove it and use it without since I'd be using it with a Wimberley Sidekick, and a non rotating mount would leave me in portrait orientation all the time.

Scott
03-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Wim,
Hi Scott,

I have the RJ K to Q adapter and it had both the tripod mount and aperture control. The aperture control is mainly for DA and FAJ series lenses that don't have aperture rings on the lens. Without the aperture control, you'd have to block the aperture wide open to use one of these lenses as their natural state is stopped down all the way when not mounted on a camera. On the RJ adapter, there are six detents which I assume stop the aperture iris down close to equal amounts from wide open. Since diffraction seems to be an issue past f4-f5.6, I usually don't use more than a couple of the detent positions anyway.

The RJ adapter is available from "jinfinance" on ebay.
RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay
I must learn to look more closely. I had found that one, but hadn't noticed the aperture ring. Perhaps because the other adapter had discreet markings on the ring that made it stand out more clearly, I didn't see it here?

The lenses I might be using the adapter with all have an aperture ring, which is probably why I didn't think about lenses without. I'm thinking the FA50/2.8 macro for compact macro, the Sigma EX180/3.5 macro for extra reach in wildlife (birding) and longer macro, and the FA*300/4.5 for the extreme work.

On the RJ, my experience is that the tripod mount is relatively useless as it comes. The screws were so small (2mm?) that one stripped out after a few uses with anything heavier than the lightest lenses. I had originally planned to drill and tap for larger screws, but never got to it and found sturdy removable tripod rings that fit most of the K lenses that I'd use with the Q -- and found that I wanted a rotating ring for these lenses anyway. I contacted RJ about the screw problem, and he might have made them more robust, but I wouldn't count on it.

The Pentax OEM K to Q adapter that someone took a picture of recently had a very stout looking tripod mount (someone said it looked like the one that comes with the DA* 300/4), and if this is the one that they release, then it should be more than sufficient for any lens that doesn't come with it's own ring. If this one also has a shutter mechanism, I expect it will be very expensive, but it would be worthwhile to me for the shutter alone. If the tripod mount doesn't rotate, I'd probably just remove it and use it without since I'd be using it with a Wimberley Sidekick, and a non rotating mount would leave me in portrait orientation all the time.
Indeed, I hadn't noticed the tripod mount on shots of the adapter I saw earlier, but then again I wasn't interested in the Q then. This is the clearest image I found, and it does indeed show an impressive tripod mount:

Perhaps it's worth waiting for... Shouldn't be too long?

Tx, Wim