Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q Quick Dial Smart Effect and Digital Filter

I just got a Pentax Q and went through the manual and settings. I used to have K100D Super and have another DSLR so I got used to the menu pretty quickly. I am deciding on what to assign to the Quick Dial. I understand that there is a choice of four setting groups overall. Two of them are "Smart Effect" and "Digital Filter". They are ways of applying effects to the image according to the manual ... and yes, they do different things but I still do not understand the principal difference between the two. Why is one set called smart effect and the other digital filter.

Does anybody know?

03-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

I have been using some of these effects/filters frequently and I am convinced there isn't any fundamental difference for their rather arbitrary division. Smart Effects .... just a manufacturer's gimmick. I like Tone Expansion for that Gothic feel in suitable environments and I have grown fond of Bold Monochrome. But the way I see it, most if not all can be replicated by combining certain Custom Image modes (tweaked settings) with certain Digital Filters.

Last edited by Kirill_est; 03-22-2012 at 11:50 AM.
03-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation. Looks like it's just two groups of effects and named differently.