Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q and Polarizer?

Still haven't bitten the bullet yet. Mainly because I'm still waiting for a quote from a friend's store before deciding where to buy my Q. Hence I'm also still postponing the decision which colour to get it in...

Anyway, I'm considering getting a polarizer with the Q. There's the Pentax branded polarizer (as demonstrated by Ned on his blog), but there's also cheaper alternatives. The Pentax version seems to offer better grip (better tuned for such a small lens as the 01?) but I'm not sure that justifies the extra cost.

But... can the Q cope with the light loss typically caused by a polarizer? Polarizers on my DSLRs typically cost about 2 stops light. I know the 01 lens is esp good around f/2 and f/2.8, and the large DOF because of the short focal length (and the diffraction risk) doesn't make stopping down a necessity (or even a good idea), so I expect the light loss will still keep you in low ISO territory for normal daylight?

And... is a polarizer practical on such a small camera? I.e. is it easy to turn and to see the effect on the LCD? I'll be wanting to use the hood onto the polarizer as well. Will that work without vignetting?

Finally, if anyone here can point me to samples taken with the 01 and a polarizer (other than Ned's post) I would be very grateful!

Tx in advance!!

Wim

PS: perhaps I should ask Ned, but I'm sure he has other things to do?

03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hello,

i use the Fujiyama (made in jp) polarising filter both on 01 and 02 sandard lenses. No problem with exposure nor vigneting.
I haven't evaluated how much EV it takes yet...

Examples with 01 :

examples with 02 :

03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That purple sky and the last shot are so freaking amazing, wow!
03-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tx Zygonyx!

Great images that confirm to me that adding the polarizer would be a good option. Great to hear you have no vignetting issues! Do you use the lens hood no top of the polarizer on your 01 standard?

Wim

PS: this is more out of curiosity really. I'll probably be shooting square crops with it anyway, so vignetting should not manifest itself.

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-28-2012 at 05:28 AM.
03-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Tx for your comments.
I do not have the 01's hood (useless in my opinion), i only use the 02's one, which has to be fixed once the filter has been ajusted.
03-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can throw a linear polarizer on the Q without any negative effects, that would save you some money as well.
03-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I posted a comment on Ned's blog as well, and he just replied the following:
QuoteQuote:
The Q and 01 Standard Prime lens with the polarizer and hood in place does not vignette. I actually asked one of our tech support guys just to make sure I was right. He confirmed this.
Wim