Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cleaning the Qs sensor...

So I have some major issues, I was testing out that slr magic toy lens stopped all the way down (rarely ever do) and noticed tons of sensor spots all over my sensor, I tried blowing em out with my pocket rocket but didnt work, there kinda driving me nuts thinking of picking up the sensor cleaning kit and I don t want to have to send it in to pentax...

03-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been thinking about this lately. My Q is clean at the moment. If the cover filter over the sensor is dirty it should be easy to clean. If it is dirty under the guard how do we get to it? Guard probaby requires a special tool to remove. I wish the cover was also the IR filter. Then we could remove it for IR photography.
Good luck
barondla
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Been thinking about this lately. My Q is clean at the moment. If the cover filter over the sensor is dirty it should be easy to clean. If it is dirty under the guard how do we get to it? Guard probaby requires a special tool to remove. I wish the cover was also the IR filter. Then we could remove it for IR photography.
Good luck
barondla
Thats exactly my problem... that damn cover filter dust it caught underneath it... called up pentax it has to get sent in and its a 20 day turn around time... Thankfully they only show unless the lens is stopped ALL the way down but it's kinda annoying, I'm sending it in mid april, I can deal with it now but its going in cause if its some kind of stain they said they'll swap it out...

EDIT: ok seems I cant see the spots until I reach f11, I only have two lenses that reach and I never stop down that far so ya...

Last edited by wanderography; 03-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
03-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Bmonki, have you eliminated the possibility of these dust specks being on the REAR ELEMENT OF THE LENS? From my experience the Q dust removal shaker thingie is pretty good. Your saying that dust gets caught UNDERNEATH THE SENSOR GLASS is really worrying, please keep us posted.

03-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
Bmonki, have you eliminated the possibility of these dust specks being on the REAR ELEMENT OF THE LENS? From my experience the Q dust removal shaker thingie is pretty good. Your saying that dust gets caught UNDERNEATH THE SENSOR GLASS is really worrying, please keep us posted.
No, I've tested every lens I own on it to know where they start to show up so I know which f stop not to go past as I'm going to be using it on my birthday next month and they show up at f8 on all my lenses. I also went back and looked at old images on my Q that I shot above f8 and the spots are there, I think they have been there since I first bought it as I hate the wide lens with a passion and I only ever really shot with it when I first got it and the spots are on those images, at the time I thought it was an effect of the toy lens haha...

And I'm not sure its even dust, these spots never move and have been consistent for a long time I just never noticed as I'm always shooting wide open...
03-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

Why don't you buy a sensor cleaning kit with wet and dry swabs and do it yourself? I had to do this several times with the Sony NEX camera that I owned, it was a real dust magnet for some reason. Have not seen any dust specks in my Q shots with the Toy Tele at 8.0 and I have no lenses that go beyond that, so one less worry for me ... for now at least, because I plan to try an old Soviet lens, Jupiter 85/2, it stops down all the way to 22
03-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
Why don't you buy a sensor cleaning kit with wet and dry swabs and do it yourself? I had to do this several times with the Sony NEX camera that I owned, it was a real dust magnet for some reason. Have not seen any dust specks in my Q shots with the Toy Tele at 8.0 and I have no lenses that go beyond that, so one less worry for me ... for now at least, because I plan to try an old Soviet lens, Jupiter 85/2, it stops down all the way to 22
The Q has a guard over the sensor you cant take of yourself I already called pentax they said I'm the first call they have received that has dust in there and they said to send it in and it'll be a quick cleaning. The repair facility is in arizona so its only one state over from me. I'm probably gonna just buy another Q and send this one in and have two for just in case purposes...

03-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

Yeah, I bet having two Qs is better than one
03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Q68
Inactive Account

Just returned my 4 week old Q for same reason as Waderography - Damn dust under the sensor cover filter !

I've not been able to use the Q much due to recent neuro surgery on both arms.

But yesterday I took the Q out of it's fitted Pentax neoprene case and found a couple of spots of dust between the LCD & LCD cover glass, one spot was really annoying me. So I decided to take a closer look elsewhere using a x8 loupe - Really wish I hadn't !

OMG under the sensor cover filter are roughly 30 to 40 microscopic spots of crud / contamination - ALL of them UNDER the filter, invisible to the naked eye; but very noticeable when using a loupe!!!

Needless to say I was less than impressed, especially considering it's new, never used in a dusty environment & never had it's lens off since I purchased it until yesterday (mainly because I only have one lens).

Okay none of the dust spots aren't showing up on the images, but that's not the point - I now know of their existence & that's the worst part, it's going to bug me - Especially my Q's only 4 weeks old, I don't expect to find any contamination inside the body let alone near the sensor, regardless of size!

So off the Pentax Service the camera has gone ( could take as long as 4 to 6 weeks I was told by my dealer, that was another blow).

Which begs the question: Are you brave enough to look closely at your Q ?

I'm gutted to say the least !

Mark

Last edited by Q68; 03-23-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling