Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aelindgard Quote
Thanks Scott. Just to clarify, when I have it fully open and inAV mode what should mybf setting on the Q body be set to? Same as I had manually set on the lense or f1.0 as I am sure tge Q will not be able to read the f setting of the lnse as there are no wires etc. I have ordered the same adapter you had.
Hi Aelingard,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You are correct that the Q body cannot read an f stop setting from the lens because there is no electrical communication between the lens and the body. The body will show f-- on the veiwfinder. The aperture setting is whatever you set on the lens, and with a DA series lens, you'd start at the max aperture, and with every click of the adapter's aperture ring, I assume @ 1 stop change from that, so if you have an f4 lens, it would progress from that to f5.6. f8, f11, f16, etc with every click. Since the lens is stopping down manually, the meter is working with the light it receives through the lens, and in Av mode, sets the shutter speed accordingly. If you are also using Auto ISO, my experience is that the camera will tend to try to keep shutter speeds around 1/100-1/125 or above, and go to a higher ISO if that's not possible. The camera does not need an f stop value from the lens to allow full exposure automation, it just uses the light that's allowed through the lens and sets the shutter and ISO accordingly.

Hope that clarifies things. . .

Scott

04-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I want to see this Frankenstein monster of a lens on your Q!
HI Tonto,

Pics of long teles on the Q seem to be a never ending source of mirth for those who only want to make fun of the Q, so IMO, they tend to be counterproductive to a thread like this. I'd rather let the images that result from the camera/lens combo speak for it. The lens basically looks like a Canon FD 300 f4 L with a flanged M42 to K mount adapter screwed to the end of it. Nothing special really.

I'm probably being overly sensitive to Q detractors -- so my apologies for not complying with your request.

Scott
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Wow! mighty impressive...I can't believe my eyes.
Hi pcarfan,

Thanks!

The Q with long SLR lenses is pretty impressive. This kind of combo is pretty difficult to shoot effectively, but very good results can be gotten with premium glass after learning some unique to the Q long lens techniques. Since the announcement, I've been convinced that the Q could be used as an effective 3.6x digital TC (compared to my APS-C DSLRs) and my tests are confirming this. I've posted results with other lenses in this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/172196-lets-share-shots-q-8.html#post1911343

For me, the Q is a very welcomed addition to my DSLR kit. It will allow me to get images that I can't get with my previous gear. Hopefully, Pentax will release their version of the K to Q adapter with the integral shutter, and I'll be able to expand into macro shooting with adapted lenses without the limitations that are currently imposed by the slow sync speed of the electronic shutter.

Scott
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
HI Tonto,

Pics of long teles on the Q seem to be a never ending source of mirth for those who only want to make fun of the Q, so IMO, they tend to be counterproductive to a thread like this. I'd rather let the images that result from the camera/lens combo speak for it. The lens basically looks like a Canon FD 300 f4 L with a flanged M42 to K mount adapter screwed to the end of it. Nothing special really.

I'm probably being overly sensitive to Q detractors -- so my apologies for not complying with your request.

Scott
No worries, understandable - as for me they are cool looking

04-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Aelingard,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You are correct that the Q body cannot read an f stop setting from the lens because there is no electrical communication between the lens and the body. The body will show f-- on the veiwfinder. The aperture setting is whatever you set on the lens, and with a DA series lens, you'd start at the max aperture, and with every click of the adapter's aperture ring, I assume @ 1 stop change from that, so if you have an f4 lens, it would progress from that to f5.6. f8, f11, f16, etc with every click. Since the lens is stopping down manually, the meter is working with the light it receives through the lens, and in Av mode, sets the shutter speed accordingly. If you are also using Auto ISO, my experience is that the camera will tend to try to keep shutter speeds around 1/100-1/125 or above, and go to a higher ISO if that's not possible. The camera does not need an f stop value from the lens to allow full exposure automation, it just uses the light that's allowed through the lens and sets the shutter and ISO accordingly.

Hope that clarifies things. . .

Scott
Just got the adapter. I now understand what you mean. Thanks a lot. And yeah even with a 18-55mm attached it needs a tripod cause it shakes a whole lot. >_<"
04-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aelingrad, Congrats on your new toy.