Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Planning to buy a Q...

Hi there, my name is Henny Koster and I am a dedicated user of Pentax (though my Leica Digilux 1 is a rare precious). I shoot using the Pentax K-M dslr. Made my photo studie at the Fotovakschool Rotterdam. Photography is a pleasure hobby for me, not for profession purposes. Tot add more creativity and pleasure to my hobby I am planning to buy me a Pentax Q. Flawless product in my opinion, but I like to hear it from you guys. Hope you will help me telling story's of which lenses I should consider with the Q and favorite functions. Well, there it is, I really love it to to join the club and am so much looking forward to my Q. I guess you all felt that same space cadett glow when you hold the Pentax Q in your hands the very first time....didn't you?

Last edited by henny_koster; 04-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.
04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you haven't already done so you may want to read our review:

Pentax Q Review - Overview - PentaxForums.com

Only the 01 and 02 lenses and perhaps the fish-eye are of interest.
04-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
thx I will read the stuff. Wanna know as much as I can before buying and start using the Q...
04-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I didn't have to read about the Q. I did all that when it first came out and dismissed it as a nice toy but not for me. Then two weeks ago, a friend who works in a camera store borrowed a K-01 to go out for a day of shooting and I suggested he bring along a Q too for comparison. He did. Result: I didn't look at the K-01 much but fell in love with the Q. As often is the case with Pentax: you need to have them in your hands to feel that they are so much more photographers' cameras.

Lenses? I'm going for the 01 only for now. I am a prime person you see. I would like sth wider, but neither the fisheye (been there done that on my DSLR) nor the toy wide are up my alley. I'm looking forward to Pentax adding a 01 like wide to the system. That would make it the perfect street shooters kit.

I'm also anticipating the Pentax K-Q adapter to be able to unleash the power of my K glass on the Q. There are a few lenses that I'm really looking forward to see what they can add to my wildlife photography using the Q. I know there's after market adapters, but I'll first see what the Pentax adapter will be like (and what it will cost).

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 04-02-2012 at 02:17 AM.
04-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hai Wim,

Thnx for your reply... or in Dutch: bedankt voor je reactie. I am going for the prime 01 too. Not interested in the zoom-lenses. I was planning to take the fish-eye as well because of the dramatic art expressions possible with this lens. I really would like to see some result of this lens. I haven't seen that many. First the buying of the camera offcourse. Though an adapter would open a wider area of lenses I want the Q to use with native lenses only. Great that you are a newbie to the Q too. Have you used the cam this weekend? Nice experience?
04-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by henny_koster Quote
Hi there, my name is Henny Koster and I am a dedicated user of Pentax (though my Leica Digilux 1 is a rare precious). I shoot using the Pentax K-M dslr. Made my photo studie at the Fotovakschool Rotterdam. Photography is a pleasure hobby for me, not for profession purposes. Tot add more creativity and pleasure to my hobby I am planning to buy me a Pentax Q. Flawless product in my opinion, but I like to hear it from you guys. Hope you will help me telling story's of which lenses I should consider with the Q and favorite functions. Well, there it is, I really love it to to join the club and am so much looking forward to my Q. I guess you all felt that same space cadett glow when you hold the Pentax Q in your hands the very first time....didn't you?
Wasn't sure at first... But after the price cut (got mine from amazon.co.uk - was cheaper than in continental Europe) I went for the Q. VERY happy and IQ much higher than I dared to expect (I use a K7 otherwise) and the camera just feels right in my hands, I compared it to the Fuji X100, and the Q felt just right when compared to the bulky and yet too light Fuji. Take a look at the Q-samples I posted on my Zenfolio site! You'll love the Q!
04-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #7

Hi Henny, there are many reviews out for the Pentax Q. I would look at the ones by Adorama, Photography Blog, and do a search on YouTube for some if you can. Sorry, I don't have all the links together to put in the post. I have some samples photos of the Pentax Q on my blog and a 1.5 hour long review here : The Eccentric Apprentice. Also check out Blunty's review of the Pentax Q on youtube: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=blunty+pentax+q&source=web&cd=1&ved=0...m34HsfoxiXMepw

The Pentax Q is a great camera and has many advantages and possibilities. Using K mount lenses really opens up doing telephoto work. I did some shots today with the 02 zoom lens with a $12 wide-angle conversion lens attached ( using a step-up ring 40.5-52 mm and 52mm-58 mm combined ). I believe it ended up giving me an effective 35mm view of 16.5. Couldn't go farther back before vingetting because of using two step-up rings together. I have a new one coming in that should let me zoom the lens about all the way back and get a 35mm equivalent of 14mm ultra wide angle. There isn't much if any fish-eye effect, that is noticeable using this combination. I highly recommend the 02 lens for this ability and it's overall a very good walk around lens in day-light.

The fish-eye is also wonderful and I would recommend getting that as well. Comes in very useful and creates interesting shots.

Here are my photos from today, I used a 70-205mm K mount lens attached to the Q for the close up shots of the lizard and duck: 2012 Pentax Q Wide Angle - a set on Flickr

Some black and whites using 01,02, and 03 lenses : PentaxQ:Congress Ave - a set on Flickr
04-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hai Wim,

Thnx for your reply... or in Dutch: bedankt voor je reactie. I am going for the prime 01 too. Not interested in the zoom-lenses. I was planning to take the fish-eye as well because of the dramatic art expressions possible with this lens. I really would like to see some result of this lens. I haven't seen that many. First the buying of the camera offcourse. Though an adapter would open a wider area of lenses I want the Q to use with native lenses only. Great that you are a newbie to the Q too. Have you used the cam this weekend? Nice experience?
Graag gedaan!

A fish-eye lens is a lot of fun to play with, and as such it really fits the Q. Personally, however, I have used fish-eye for many years on my DSLRs (first the Zenitar 16/2.8, then the Pentax DA10-17) and have grown tired of the effect. There comes a time where it no longer feels "creative". To me anyway. But it's a great kind of lens to learn about framing. Mainly because it takes everything around you in its field of view, as such forcing you to look in the corners of your image and to spend much more attention to framing. And that is a good habit with all lenses of course. I went through that learning period with the Zenitar 16/2.8 on my *istDS (more than 5 years ago).

I haven't used my Q yet, simply because it's still on its way to me as we speak. Hopefully it will arrive during the week, but most probably I'll only go and pick it up at the depot of the shipping company at the end of the week or Saturday morning. I should have some opportunities to use next WE.

Wim

04-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Best of luck buying a Q You will love it.

Most of my shots posted so far are from the fisheye lens, you can have a look in my flickr set here - Pentax Q - a set on Flickr
04-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
Wauw what a nice reactions of you guys! I already checked out some of the reviews, planning to do the 1.5 hour review of The Eccentric Apprentice tonight. I also discovered the drop-down price at Amazon, but am not really sure to buy my Q from them. What if I have a monday morning malfunctioning piece.. And I really don't know if the adapter is european (if with separated powercord that shouldn't be a problem). But....most of all I enjoyed your pictures. I loved the fisheye-pics from jezza323, especially the B&W (btw how did you shoot the first one, looked like a TinyWorld photo from the iPhone app). The street-photos of Stern are marvelous too. I guess you used the HDR funcionality on occasions. The dark-light-reach is perfect there.

Thanks for the reactions on the lenses, I am now planning to buy the kit with just the prime and later on the fish-eye. Good to know this forum community is alive and kicking. I keep you all informed about my way to buying the Q. If anyone has drop-price-tips here on the internet....most welcome!
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

First pic in my Q album is a panorama, stitched from 11 images (each one a HDR made from 3 images), so a lot of PP involved. Not for everyone!
04-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #12

Doesn't really mater where the Q comes from.

Wauw what a nice reactions of you guys! I already checked out some of the reviews, planning to do the 1.5 hour review of The Eccentric Apprentice tonight. I also discovered the drop-down price at Amazon, but am not really sure to buy my Q from them. What if I have a monday morning malfunctioning piece.. And I really don't know if the adapter is european (if with separated powercord that shouldn't be a problem). But....most of all I enjoyed your pictures. I loved the fisheye-pics from jezza323, especially the B&W (btw how did you shoot the first one, looked like a TinyWorld photo from the iPhone app). The street-photos of Stern are marvelous too. I guess you used the HDR funcionality on occasions. The dark-light-reach is perfect there.

Thanks for the reactions on the lenses, I am now planning to buy the kit with just the prime and later on the fish-eye. Good to know this forum community is alive and kicking. I keep you all informed about my way to buying the Q. If anyone has drop-price-tips here on the internet....most welcome!
I ordered my Q from amazon in the UK and had it delivered to Austria. It came with two power cords: one UK connection with 3 contacts and then the Continental European plug with two contacts. So it came with added value (OTOH a generic power cord will set you back 2 EUR, so nothing too bad). In case of a malfunction you'll have to send the camera in anyway regardless of where you bought it (only the purchase date counts). Was like this with my other DSLRs (My K10D was bought in thE U.S., and was serviced under warranty in Germany). Yet buying with a reputable dealer has its merits too: fortunately, I got my K-r from Tekade and was able to send it back after two unsuccessfful shots at trying to repair the frontfocus by Pentax service; TEKADE even credited me some EUR and I finally got a bargain K7 from them (mint condition demo-ware K7) for less than the K-r kit... The Q on the other side is flawless out of the box, no issues have been reported (a kind of "first" for a pro-Pentax...).
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Oh this little forum is alive and kicking. It is also one of the few that people seem to be having fun on. We seem to be pretty happy bunch.

The Q has been very trouble free- especially for a new from the groundup design. It would lock up in the early days but that has been totally solved with the firmware updates. Make sure you do the body and lens updates. It even affects picture quality.

Like any special effect the fisheye can be over used. After 20 years I still find the FE useful. There are ways to use them that weren't always apparent to me. It is a lens you have to work with. Considering the very small price of the Q FE pick one up if you are interested at all.

Henny, a few years ago I bought a Dutch, hand made Optima Baron bicycle and had it shipped to the US. It is a lowracer recumbent and I lay 12" off the ground when riding. It is a jewel like the Pentax Q! My monicker comes from it. I like special things.
thanks
BARONdla
04-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
...Like any special effect the fisheye can be over used. After 20 years I still find the FE useful. There are ways to use them that weren't always apparent to me. It is a lens you have to work with. Considering the very small price of the Q FE pick one up if you are interested at all.....
BARONdla
These pics weren't done with the Q's FE (it was the K10D plus the 10-17 FE), but they show the ideal setting for the use of a fisheye: round things...:

04-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
....Order is placed!!!

Finally did it yesterday. A bargain, considering the original price. I could make a deal of 300 sterling pounds for the black Q with prime 01 kit. Tha's only a 375 euro! I am really excited and keep on watching the shipping updates. Oh yes, ofcourse, the store: Amazon.co.uk (at the moment I ordered, 5 in stock)