Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well thank you Doc - I guess I should have looked in the review section. This is also a reminder that I need to get with it and post some more reviews myself as I find them so helpful.

Questions about the LLC remote:

How big is it compared to the F remote? I actually need something larger in physical size.
Where did you purchase yours?
Since I use the wired remote with my K-5 most of the time, have you tried the LLC remote from the rear of the Q? Using it with the Q would be the only thing I am buying another remote for. I would like to be able to fire the Q with remote at ~3' away and possibly at a slight off angle from the rear.
I have 2 wired remotes and use them occasionally, but I rely on these JJC remotes for most of my needs.

I don't have an F remote but these JJC remotes are 1.5in x 3.25in x.25in. They take a CR2025 battery (I have found them at both WalMart and Target in the past when I needed one quickly).

I just took 4 pictures rather quickly with the Q & the JJC RM-E7 remote. They were all from behind the Q and were ~4 feet from the back of the camera. I can confirm that both buttons work on the Q, just as they do for the K-5.

Hope that helps.

-Robert

12-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks Doc - very helpful indeed!

I was a little confused hence my questions. Your review for the remote is for LLC RM E7 which is the model number you posted first. In your last post I see you posted that it is a JJC RM E7. Now it makes sense as the JJC seems to match the one I linked to ebay as the one I was considering. If in fact your review is for the JJC you might want to edit your review.

Thanks for the physical dimensions. The F remote measures .75" x 2" x .25" comparing to the JJC at 1.5" x 3.25" x .25". The JJC is significantly larger which will work much better.

Also, not to discount barondla's suggestion about the Pentax waterproof remote too quickly - the reviews I read said that the battery is not replaceable in that unit - it is glued in and if you try to replace it you end up tearing off the terminal.

Off to order the JJC remote.
12-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks Doc - very helpful indeed!

I was a little confused hence my questions. Your review for the remote is for LLC RM E7 which is the model number you posted first. In your last post I see you posted that it is a JJC RM E7. Now it makes sense as the JJC seems to match the one I linked to ebay as the one I was considering. If in fact your review is for the JJC you might want to edit your review.

Thanks for the physical dimensions. The F remote measures .75" x 2" x .25" comparing to the JJC at 1.5" x 3.25" x .25". The JJC is significantly larger which will work much better.

Also, not to discount barondla's suggestion about the Pentax waterproof remote too quickly - the reviews I read said that the battery is not replaceable in that unit - it is glued in and if you try to replace it you end up tearing off the terminal.

Off to order the JJC remote.
There have been several posts around PF about folks having to pry open their waterproof Pentax remote in order to change the battery thereby making the formerly waterproof remote now a just plain remote. Seems rather dumb to me as my remotes have been used in poor weather, but not submerged, and work fine. For around $5 even if they stop working I'm not going to cry a river but their are easy to open and replace the CR2025 battery so I prefer them. I'll check to make sure that the JJC LLC stuff matches, thanks.
12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Stormtech, gave up on remote F. 2" range and having to be lined up perfectly with rear sensor meant too many missed shots. Now using the Pentax weatherproof remote. It works 4-6" behind camera and doesn't have to be perfectly lined up. Also larger to hold in hand.
I went this route also, and have had success firing a Q from the back with this remote up to @ 4 feet from the camera, but aiming was extremely critical, and percentage of success at this distance was dismally low. As barondla suggests, 4-6" is a reasonable working range, and aim is not nearly as critical as with the F. The larger size, for me is an advantage since it will be less likely to be misplaced -- a particular problem with me.

It's not something that they're likely to change, but if they put a convex lens on the sensor, it would probably make the rear sensor more reliable and easier to use. Not complaining -- just including a rear sensor is really a thoughtful feature from a photographer's standpoint, and I appreciate it.

Scott

12-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Not complaining -- just including a rear sensor is really a thoughtful feature from a photographer's standpoint, and I appreciate it.

Scott
Good point Scott - here we not really complaining, but trying to get the rear remote workable. I didn't even think of the fact we could be trying to get a super steady shot without any kind of remote capability at all......
12-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I went this route also, and have had success firing a Q from the back with this remote up to @ 4 feet from the camera, but aiming was extremely critical, and percentage of success at this distance was dismally low. As barondla suggests, 4-6" is a reasonable working range, and aim is not nearly as critical as with the F. The larger size, for me is an advantage since it will be less likely to be misplaced -- a particular problem with me.

It's not something that they're likely to change, but if they put a convex lens on the sensor, it would probably make the rear sensor more reliable and easier to use. Not complaining -- just including a rear sensor is really a thoughtful feature from a photographer's standpoint, and I appreciate it.

Scott
Scott,
Excellent point about being fortunate they put a sensor on the back of the Q. The K-01 doesn't have one, nor does the K-x. I haven't found the JJC to be that fiddling to aim at the camera. If I'm off by 30 degrees, yeah it's not going to fire. But I get both the AF button and the shutter button to work at 4+ feet nearly every time.
12-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually wish the F remote worked better. All of my Pentax DSLRs have the Pentax film camera straps from years ago. These straps have pouches just large enough for the remote in one side and a couple of SD cards in the other. Pouches fit like a glove. No one even realizes they hold cards and remote.

Pentax please bring these straps back.

Hmm, a lens over the back sensor to broaden the reception angle. Might try this. 4-6" is fine for distance but sometimes in the excitement I miss the angle and the shot.

No idea the weatherproof remote was so tough to change batts in. Not sure it matters since my oldest F remote is 6+ years old and going strong. Still something to consider, but I do use the remote with my Pentax P&S too.
thanks
barondla

12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I liked the F remote a lot better when it had a dedicated place in the grip on my K20D.
03-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by macsoft Quote
you can also get a a remote that is also a time-lapse intervalometer to do time-lapse movies. Its called ...
Pentax now builds this feature into it's cameras I know the Q and the K-01 have it.