Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wireless remotes for the Q.

Have the Ulra small Pentax wireless remote. Have used it for about two years. It may need a new battery. Often when using it with the Q from behind I will punch the remote and nothing happens. Think The remote is within the narrow 50mm operating distance. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone make a remote with greater power?
thanks
barondla

04-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have Pentax F remote control , it came with my KX and was frequently successfully used with KX in the past.
Just before leaving to Europe I have tried it with my Q and could not get it working so I have left it behind ( still in Europe).
Did not have time to investigate, possibly flat battery , need to test it first with KX , not sure if F is compatible with Q, will test it when back at home.
kind regards
jack
04-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

I just got the remote last weekend I have not used it much but the few times I have Iv found it not to work that great Had I known how small it really was and how it does not seem to work all that well I would not have spent the money on it. I think ill just stick to the self-timer when needed.
04-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is supposed to be compatible. Mine has no problem shooting Q from front sensor. Back sensor is more iffy. Pentax lists the range as a few inches in the back vs feet in the front sensor. My guess is the front sensor is directly connected and the back must snake thru some kind of fiber optic tunnel or something. For shooting with long lenses on tripod, the wireless remote is great. No vibration. Like having instant mirror lock up on a DSLR. Easier to get sharp images at high magnifications with the Q- when the camera will fire. Was hoping a different brand/model remote might put out stronger signal and fire more reliably. When an Eagle looks at me need to be able to fire instantly! Thanks for the help i trax. Will be interested to hear your findings.
thanks
barondla

04-09-2012, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I'm using it without any problem. I've set it decoupling the focus and shutter functions, so I have to pre-focus holding the second button until the green frame appears, then the shutter button reliably works from back sensor within about 1m. Never used the front one, since I'm not too fond of self-portraits.

Incidentally, @barondla: a fibre optic coupling costs MUCH more than an additional IR sensor, and it takes more space too. I suppose Pentax purposely limited the sensitivity of the rear sensor in order to avoid false triggering, given that its purpose is different from the front one (i.e. a modern version of the trigger cord for limiting vibrations).
04-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It is supposed to be compatible. Mine has no problem shooting Q from front sensor. Back sensor is more iffy. Pentax lists the range as a few inches in the back vs feet in the front sensor. My guess is the front sensor is directly connected and the back must snake thru some kind of fiber optic tunnel or something. For shooting with long lenses on tripod, the wireless remote is great. No vibration. Like having instant mirror lock up on a DSLR. Easier to get sharp images at high magnifications with the Q- when the camera will fire. Was hoping a different brand/model remote might put out stronger signal and fire more reliably. When an Eagle looks at me need to be able to fire instantly! Thanks for the help i trax. Will be interested to hear your findings.
thanks
barondla
yes, I tested battery ( OK) tested with KX, works well up to ~2M in front of it, does not work at the back.
tested with Q , works well up to ~ 1.2M reliably in front , does not work at the back and I can not see any IR sensors at the back of the body, am I missing something?
kind regards
jack
04-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I just popped a fresh 1620 in my remote

~4' rear
~20' front (room i was in don't know if it goes beyond)

It's an older model...i cant remember what the model number is...i'm gonna dig up my old canon ones see if those work (if batteries are in)

*i think it's an "F"?*

Last edited by Clicker; 04-27-2012 at 07:01 AM.
04-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tested Pentax F with K7 , it works ~2M from the front and the same from the back

12-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I just got the Pentax F remote and it's not working, I feel like I got a faulty one or something lol I keep pushing the button but nothing is happening and the only remote menu item I get is in C - AF with remote Control which is on. I updated the firmware and tried standing in front of the camera not even a focus sound... any ideas?

Never mind, I'm a blonde

Last edited by alelynh; 12-15-2012 at 12:17 AM.
12-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alelynh Quote
I just got the Pentax F remote and it's not working, I feel like I got a faulty one or something lol I keep pushing the button but nothing is happening and the only remote menu item I get is in C - AF with remote Control which is on. I updated the firmware and tried standing in front of the camera not even a focus sound... any ideas?

Never mind, I'm a blonde
Glad you got it sorted. I love that my Q uses the same $5 remote as my K-x & K-5!
12-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm glad you started this thread barondia.

I only tried my remote F once with my first testing of my Q and adapted lens last week. I did have to have the remote pointing directly behind the camera for it to work properly - didn't try it at any distance. It didn't work for me a couple times until I made sure I had the remote directly behind (in line with) the sensor.

Afterward I looked through the manual and at the ports on the Q hoping that I could use my wired remote, but that isn't going to happen I guess. I would really like to be able to use a wired remote for timing accuracy and be able to have it in my hand at any position.

Another option is to use my Cactus triggers as a remote, but again, without the wired remote port in the Q that will not work.

Also I find the remote F too small for my crippled up hands. If I can't find a solution for a wired remote, I am going to look for an alternative aftermarket RF remote that is larger and possibly has more range at the rear of the camera.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket wireless remote that I could try with the Q?
12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stormtech, gave up on remote F. 2" range and having to be lined up perfectly with rear sensor meant too many missed shots. Now using the Pentax weatherproof remote. It works 4-6" behind camera and doesn't have to be perfectly lined up. Also larger to hold in hand.
thanks
barondla
12-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Stormtech, gave up on remote F. 2" range and having to be lined up perfectly with rear sensor meant too many missed shots. Now using the Pentax weatherproof remote. It works 4-6" behind camera and doesn't have to be perfectly lined up. Also larger to hold in hand.
thanks
barondla
Well I learned something already this morning - never knew about the waterproof remote C from Pentax.

I just read through the reviews at Amazon - they don't look too promissing......

For aftermarket stuff when outright quality doesn't matter, I've found items from JJC to be fairly good. In a quick search I found this remote:

IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K R K x K 01 K 5 K 7 K10D K20D K100D K200D | eBay

Going to do a little more searching today, but for $5 shipped I might try this one.
12-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm glad you started this thread barondia.

I only tried my remote F once with my first testing of my Q and adapted lens last week. I did have to have the remote pointing directly behind the camera for it to work properly - didn't try it at any distance. It didn't work for me a couple times until I made sure I had the remote directly behind (in line with) the sensor.

Afterward I looked through the manual and at the ports on the Q hoping that I could use my wired remote, but that isn't going to happen I guess. I would really like to be able to use a wired remote for timing accuracy and be able to have it in my hand at any position.

Another option is to use my Cactus triggers as a remote, but again, without the wired remote port in the Q that will not work.

Also I find the remote F too small for my crippled up hands. If I can't find a solution for a wired remote, I am going to look for an alternative aftermarket RF remote that is larger and possibly has more range at the rear of the camera.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket wireless remote that I could try with the Q?
Stan,

I have 4 of these (one for each bag as I tend to forget them) and they work great. I tried some of the cheaper ones and they were not as strong and had multiple buttons that did not work with my cameras but were easily pressed in the bag or pocket, thereby draining the battery. Not sure if its the right size for you but both buttons work on it - bottom does AF and top shutter for my K-5.
LLC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stan,

I have 4 of these (one for each bag as I tend to forget them) and they work great. I tried some of the cheaper ones and they were not as strong and had multiple buttons that did not work with my cameras but were easily pressed in the bag or pocket, thereby draining the battery. Not sure if its the right size for you but both buttons work on it - bottom does AF and top shutter for my K-5.
LLC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Well thank you Doc - I guess I should have looked in the review section. This is also a reminder that I need to get with it and post some more reviews myself as I find them so helpful.

Questions about the LLC remote:

How big is it compared to the F remote? I actually need something larger in physical size.
Where did you purchase yours?
Since I use the wired remote with my K-5 most of the time, have you tried the LLC remote from the rear of the Q? Using it with the Q would be the only thing I am buying another remote for. I would like to be able to fire the Q with remote at ~3' away and possibly at a slight off angle from the rear.