Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What adapter should I buy for my Q?

In order to use my current AF pentax lens, I would appreciate if you guiys could advise what is the best Adapter for Q? While using adapter, is it possible to use AV mode? can i use track-in forcus? How about using old manual lenses?

Thank you in advance.

04-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Hello magicshi. Welcome to the Q forum. Congratulations on getting the Q.

The best adapter seems to be the RJ one on ebay. Make sure you get the one with tripod and APERTURE RING. Aperture ring allows using newer Pentax lenses that lack aperture ring. Without this feature those lenses remain stopped down to the smallest opening- usually f16-22.

AV mode works fine with the adapter since we are basically using the lens in stop down metering. The lens will be manual focus. As far as I know the Q doesn't allow a manual focus lens to shoot when the preset distance is matched by the subject. The image stabilizer can not be used with adapted lenses. Hopefully this will change with firmware updates. The Q becomes a mighty long range tool using adapted lenses. Enjoy it.
thanks
barondla
04-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Hello magicshi. Welcome to the Q forum. Congratulations on getting the Q.

The best adapter seems to be the RJ one on ebay. Make sure you get the one with tripod and APERTURE RING. Aperture ring allows using newer Pentax lenses that lack aperture ring. Without this feature those lenses remain stopped down to the smallest opening- usually f16-22.

AV mode works fine with the adapter since we are basically using the lens in stop down metering. The lens will be manual focus. As far as I know the Q doesn't allow a manual focus lens to shoot when the preset distance is matched by the subject. The image stabilizer can not be used with adapted lenses. Hopefully this will change with firmware updates. The Q becomes a mighty long range tool using adapted lenses. Enjoy it.
thanks
barondla

Hi, Barondla,
Thanks for detailed explanation. It's sad to know SR doesn't work with adapted lenses, but still can use tripod.

In this case, I'll buy a RJ adapter from ebay. I may come back to ask you more questions later, hope you don't mind. Thank you for your reply. Have a nice day!