Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #1

I think Pentax is wrong...

... not to have announced any DEFINITE lenses for the Q since the initial batch was announced. With DEFINITE specs and DEFINITE release dates. Granted, this camera will probably remain a niche product for now due to the early (over)pricing fiasco, but on the other hand it is far from a failure image quality and functionality-wise. I think Pentax should be proud of what they have created here, but we need more lenses: tele zoom, dedicated macro, wideangle prime that is neither a fisheye nor a "toy" (and really not that "wide)...

04-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are several lenses on the roadmap planned for this year.
It's quite understandable they don't give a hard date because a lens needs to work perfect when it goes into production so any new lens is only announced one maybe 2 months in advance, that's the case with every lens company.
In many interviews it has already been said that there will come a tele-zoom and that one is on the roadmap quite clearly the rest is still planning so expect the tele quite soon, i hope this summer.
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Do you guys see the Q continuing for very long? It's a cool camera, but it appears sales have been disappointing. I'm wondering if Ricoh will push the new lenses to actual production, or if they'll end up discontinuing the Q ultimately.
04-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
Do you guys see the Q continuing for very long? It's a cool camera, but it appears sales have been disappointing. I'm wondering if Ricoh will push the new lenses to actual production, or if they'll end up discontinuing the Q ultimately.
My understanding is that the Q is a very good seller in Asia. I don't see any reason why Pentax would discontinue it. I would expect them to try to put a slightly larger sensor in it somewhere down the road.

04-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you guys see the Q continuing for very long?
There are 4 lenses planned for release so the answer is yes.
I hope we will see an improved version of the Q next year.

what is a mount cap lens btw?
04-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There are 4 lenses planned for release so the answer is yes.
I hope we will see an improved version of the Q next year.

That would be cool, as the Q is definitely a cool camera, and looks so much better, with more functionality than the Canon G-Series. I wouldn't be surprised to see a price reduction to lure more people into the system, and if they can get more cameras into people's hands, perhaps they'd rest a bit easier about the 2/3 sensor, which actually takes very good pictures.
04-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
A lens whose function is limited to taking the place of a body cap when the camera is on the shelf.

04-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That would be cool, as the Q is definitely a cool camera, and looks so much better, with more functionality than the Canon G-Series. I wouldn't be surprised to see a price reduction to lure more people into the system, and if they can get more cameras into people's hands, perhaps they'd rest a bit easier about the 2/3 sensor, which actually takes very good pictures.
Seems there is some room in the mount but i wonder what kind of image circle the lenses have.

Photozone has some lens test up and so far it looks quite promising, the lenses out resolve the sensor so it can move on.
04-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A lens whose function is limited to taking the place of a body cap when the camera is on the shelf.

I'd think it's rather something like this :

Now if Pentax is so wrong, why do you see so many new Q-mount products ?
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

One think I didn't think of earlier is an adapter allowing K-Mount lenses the ability to attach to the Q. Talk about an obscure looking set-up....But I'll bet you could get some great and interesting shots with an outfit like that.
04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I own the skink pinhole, images are really blurry, even though you can still get great images out of the Qs small sensor you still need a large one for pinhole if not the images will be super blurry, in all honesty you can create the same effect by throwing your lens out of focus...

I highly doubt Pentax is giving up on the Q, in the latest interviews they specifically stated that they understand everyone thought it was gonna have shit image quality because of the sensor and there goal now is to hook up with different retailers to promote the Q and show it capabilities and why a small camera would be useful, so I highly doubt a new Q is coming out anytime soon. I'm guessing with the tele zoom will come out a new firmware and then they'll start to promote it heavily for the 2012 holiday season...

I'm noticing the mirrorless market is turning out like the andheld videogame console market back in the late 90s early 2k, lots of battling, some slow quirky starters that lasted a good time (wonderswan color, neogeo pocket color, gp32, atari lynx) but the giants took it, nintendo and sony... But those other consoles had there time and were out for a while and had a small community like this with supporters and thats all I think pentax is expecting from the Q, its a japanese thing...
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe when the price comes down a bit it might get more interesting.
I'm in a way glad they didn't make a larger sensor camera to compete with m4/3th, they would never win that and now with Sony and Nikon also in that water they Q is in a unique position.
The technology in those small sensors mature really fast and now that smartphones and such also become more popular we might see a nice increase so who knows how long it will take before it can match the K7 for example.
04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What if the Q's sensor gets better ...

Bonjour,

Take the progress in the DSLR sensor field, for an example, would not it be correct to think that the future will better for the Q?

To me, this is the Achilles' heel of this product ... but if that "too small sensor" situation starts rendering better IQ, etc., then maybe a re-think is due here ...

A+, John le Frog
04-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #14

I have no idea whether Pentax will or won't futher/better market the Q going forward. But being a Q owner, I really do hope those lenses and adapter on the roadmap see the light of day. And hopefully sooner rather than later. Clearly I'm not adding any knowledge to this thread but, instead, am adding to the "tally count" of interested consumers in case anyone at Pentax is watching.

-Randy
04-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What i want to know is if the wide is a prime or a zoom as it doesnt specify, I'm hoping its a fast prime with an optical viewfinder like the 01... And I'll def add the tele zoom to the kit...