Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #16

barondla, can you clarify something for me, please? Are you saying that dmort should "give the Q a chance?" Sorry, but I just want to make sure that I'm understanding what you're saying. :-)

04-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Convinced

Based on all these positive responses, I'll be getting the Q. As I said - when I played around with it, I really liked it. Do you guys think it is necessary to get the zoom right off the bat? I was thinking about sticking with just the prime for a little while, partly as a photographic exercise and partly as a financial exercise. I'm really interested to see what else they release for it in the coming year or two.

Are there any opinions on the possibility of Q2? I haven't heard anything and I'm generally not the type who will wait for the next version, because then you are all always waiting. But if it is right around the corner...

Finally, for the K to Q adapter, I know there is a pentax model, does Novoflex (and other companies) make them as well? Do you loose autofocus with the adapter?
04-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #18

I'm a K-5 owner, and also own a Q, along with a similarly sized Olympus E-PM1.

Of the two mirrorless cameras, the Olympus E-PM1 has (by a long margin) the better image quality at all ISO's, it has a lightning quick focus speed, and with a 14mm Panasonic pancake lens, by far the most pocketable camera. But......It is let down by a poor LCD screen if not shooting 16:9, and some of the functions are a little buried, as it lacks many external controls.

The Q is however, a much more fun camera to use, with better layout, controls, looks, and is designed more for photographers than snapshooters than the E-PM1.......and you will be familiar with all its functions, as they work the same way as your K-5.

Since getting the Q, I am finding I am ending up taking it out more often than either my K-5 or my E-PM1. It's just something about it, and a bit like some of the mobile camera apps out there, when using the Q, I find I'm photographing things in a way I would never consider with my K-5. I guess due to it's small size and easy to access/handle features it frees up a lot of creativity.
04-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Based on all these positive responses, I'll be getting the Q. As I said - when I played around with it, I really liked it. Do you guys think it is necessary to get the zoom right off the bat? I was thinking about sticking with just the prime for a little while, partly as a photographic exercise and partly as a financial exercise. I'm really interested to see what else they release for it in the coming year or two.

Are there any opinions on the possibility of Q2? I haven't heard anything and I'm generally not the type who will wait for the next version, because then you are all always waiting. But if it is right around the corner...

Finally, for the K to Q adapter, I know there is a pentax model, does Novoflex (and other companies) make them as well? Do you loose autofocus with the adapter?
dmort: - I bought Q kit of 01prime bundled with 02zoom early in the year in Oz for $819, because the zoom was being offered at a significant discount in the kit compared to buying it later standalone. The Q is a gr8 little camera - it's light weight, takes up very little space, & the IQ is fine for print sizes you're interested in; these attributes are also perfect for travelling.

I originally intended using the Q as an adjunct to my K5 (particularly in situations where K5 + lenses would be too heavy/cumbersome). However, like others, I'm finding the Q gets used more frequently now than the K5, but it also depends on your subject matter & whether high IQ takes precedence over convenience.

I've found the 02zoom very handy for extending versatility at the wide end, & although its tele is only moderate (~83mm equiv in 35mm terms), it's still useful (though I wish Pentax would hurry up & release a longer zoom!).

I also have the FE, which is a lot fun to use with suitable subjects, but very difficult to focus in bright conditions (no AF). Of course composing pics in bright conditions is always going to be a challenge with any MILC without OVF, & the Q is no exception (but other posts detail some nifty cheap ways to rig up OVF for Q).

My advice would be to not worry too much about the $$ - this aspect soon fades into irrelevance within a short time if the product quality is there (which it most definitely is with the Q). Many years ago I decided to make a very indulgent purchase of a Mamiya 7 (6x7 rangefinder film camera) + 3 lenses at absolutely insane prices, but the lenses are flawless & amongst the best ever made for any camera system. Although my M7 system now seems like an expensive folly, luckily one of the lenses came with an OVF, which I've modifed for the Q to cover 01prime, 02zoom wide & 02zoom tele FOV frames.

Get into the Q - it's very seductive & you'll get a heap of enjoyment from it IMO.

04-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I wouldn't bother with the zoom lens.

Grab the Q w 01 prime, and the Fisheye

The fisheye is very easy to focus IMO, just set and forget! The DOF is so enormous at 3.2mm f5.6 that once set you should be pretty well good to go unless you are getting right up close to something. I have shot almost exclusively with the fisheye since I got the Q, and have used the Q far more than my K200D in the last month. Its a great fun camera
04-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would buy the zoom with the camera if there is a price advantage. Other wise the 01 prime is a great starting place. The fisheye is also fun to use and very inexpensive. Focusing is easy if you have the magnify option turned on in the menu.

Yes vrgard, I am trying to say give the Q a chance.
thanks
barondla
05-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Howdy thread - my birthday came and went, and with some gift money from family, I now I have a pentax q (and a clik elite probody sport for the k5!).

Took it out today at the central park zoo and really enjoyed using it. I think I will have to get used to focusing with the lcd screen... Got to check the menu for the magnify option (I don't think it is the same as the k5...)

Also got the leather case for it. The leather doesn't seem to be very high quality, but it is a perfect fit and very convenient to use.

05-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01?

It feels and packs a lot smaller than the paper specs suggest. I have smuggled it into places under a t-shirt. IQ and low light performance to match the K-5. Video!
DA21, DA40 and DA70 and you have a kit to go anywhere, and you can use them on your K-5....

But if you want *super* small, then I reckon the Q would be excellent - I just have no experience with it.
05-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dmort, what a cool b'day present! You will have fun with the Q. It is very hard to put down or leave at home.

The lcd magnify has to be enabled the first time in the menu. After that just press the OK button to activate it with adapted lenses. With the prime it activates when you grab the focus ring.

Have the pentax brand leather case and it seems decent quality to me. Love the strap but don't use the case that much. Too much adapted lens use- always taking case on and off.

Don't forget to do the firmware updates for Q and lens ( 2 updates).
thanks
barondla
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently came back from Europe, I just took the Q ( with 01+02) with me and never really regret it.
I did miss my Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 on some occasions but I did not really miss my KX or K7 or K5.
Took well over 3000 photos, 90% of them with 01.
Took 3 batteries with me and on some all day outings I did run out, get some spare , you will need them.
The Q is very capable and low visible camera, perfect for Family informal indoors gatherings, it is like using a mobile phone , no one pays any attention to it, great in low indoor light.
That also applies to use the Q inside the churches , museums , libraries and other places where usually cameras are not allowed.
So, will just keep K5 + the Q, fun camera and very addictive!
kind regards
jack
05-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a Q. Anyone have experience of using the SLR Magic 11mm F1.4?
05-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
magnify

@ barondla - thanks for that tip. Now I don't have to wade through the manual!

I know I could probably figure this out by googling, but what are the big international photo events? Are there some coming up during which pentax will likely release the wide angle q mount lens they have slated for 2012? That or the fish-eye will be my next purchase for the q.

With the recent price changes to the k-mount lenses the q is much easier to spend money on.
05-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The next big international photo event is Photokina in September.
05-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a Q. Anyone have experience of using the SLR Magic 11mm F1.4?
Ya I owned it, it's a nice all metal lens I dont own it anymore a I dropped it on concrete and completely destroyed it and really didnt feel the need to spend $200 more on a CCTV lens... But it was really nice and bright with great bokeh and close focus, kinda a little do it all for the Q...

[