Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My New Q

I got my Q two days back from the distributor as it is a demo set. Condition is still great and looks new too.

I still cannot get used to the small-ness of the Q.

04-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Smallness, you said?
Nope! it is a GREAT camera! No one of my past cameras ever changed my photograph that much! ;-)

Happy shooting!
04-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Paolo. I am still gettng used to it. I have a K5 so it feels really small. I will definitely enjoy it.
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum felixkh. You are correct the Q is a very small camera. It won't take you long to get used to it ( menus are similar to your K5). Paolo.Bosetti is telling the truth- the Q will change your photography.

Don't forget to check the body and lens firmware. You want the newest one. It is easier to update the Q than past Pentax cameras.

Consider entering images in the compact camera contest in the compact camera forum. The Q is allowed.

thanks
barondla

04-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

felix, what color did you get?
04-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
felix, what color did you get?
The white colour
04-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Welcome to the forum felixkh. You are correct the Q is a very small camera. It won't take you long to get used to it ( menus are similar to your K5). Paolo.Bosetti is telling the truth- the Q will change your photography.

Don't forget to check the body and lens firmware. You want the newest one. It is easier to update the Q than past Pentax cameras.

Consider entering images in the compact camera contest in the compact camera forum. The Q is allowed.

thanks
barondla
Hi Barondla,

Thank you for your comments. I will play with the camera more to get used to it and after that will enter the compact camera contest in the forum.

May I know if the 02 standard lens is good to buy for general use?

04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #8

Congratulations felixkh. I am a brand new user of the fabulous Q too. My other camera is a K-M. But for the next period its the Q that travels along with me. Summer to come, pictures to be made. Fun factor ++
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Great Q

I really like my Q and its prime lens. I use it more than my K7 and ES11 now. I got it when the price went down to £299.
04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone use the other lenses besides 01 Prime lens?
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Forum Member

I have the full (for the moment) set. The prime is indubitably the the best, IQ wise. The 02 (zoom) is practical: gorgeous build, good IQ, autofocus, and a convenient focal range. At wider range is reasonably fast also. Good for walk-around, although you probably get a lighter config with the prime + the wide or the fish eye in your pocket.
The fish-eye is really fun to use: good IQ (IMHO better than the Pentax fish-eye zoom that I have on my k-5, at least in the fringe/aberration department), and even though it is manual focus, the DoF is so huge that you can safely forget focusing, unless subjects are really close (<10cm). Highly recommended (additionally, I'm pretty sure it makes the Q the only compact camera with such a wide focal, and also the most affordable fish-eye out there).
Despide of what people say here I also like the wide toy lens: coupled with some effects can give good results, and it's not too tricky to focus.
Finally, I only rarely use the tele toy: it's a bit harder to focus and the IQ is not that impressing. It is cheap, though. By the way, I found that enabling the SR to stay always on really helps manual focussing with this lens.
04-11-2012, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have used all the lenses. The zoom is very good optically. It gives you a very high quality wideangle and decent short tele. It is the largest and most expensive Q lens. Compared to any other camera system the zoom is still quite small and portable. I would buy it.

The fisheye is a killer lens and so cheap and small why wouldn't you buy it? Every time I borrow it I love it. On my list to buy.

The tele is slow at f8 but I have seen some remarkable images with it from other shooters. It doesn't have a pronounced "toy" quality to it. Some are using it for macro. So very cheap I will eventually get it.

The wide didn't get me excited on first try. Then it was said that it is designed to work with the filters in camera. I will retry it.

Hope this helps. Below picture is with zoom at 5mm f4 using in camera 3 shot HDR mode and handheld. Love the dof. My FF buddy just shook his head after seeing me make this shot. He is a believer now!
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have used all the lenses. The zoom is very good optically. It gives you a very high quality wideangle and decent short tele. It is the largest and most expensive Q lens. Compared to any other camera system the zoom is still quite small and portable. I would buy it.

The fisheye is a killer lens and so cheap and small why wouldn't you buy it? Every time I borrow it I love it. On my list to buy.

The tele is slow at f8 but I have seen some remarkable images with it from other shooters. It doesn't have a pronounced "toy" quality to it. Some are using it for macro. So very cheap I will eventually get it.

The wide didn't get me excited on first try. Then it was said that it is designed to work with the filters in camera. I will retry it.

Hope this helps. Below picture is with zoom at 5mm f4 using in camera 3 shot HDR mode and handheld. Love the dof. My FF buddy just shook his head after seeing me make this shot. He is a believer now!
thanks
barondla
Barondla,

The photo is really beautful. No I need to save up to get that lens first.
04-11-2012, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Few more with the zoom for felixkh.
fall leaves in fog- zoom at 12mm. Tripod.
Horseshoe Lake- zoom 5mm.
Hope you enjoy.

thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Barondla,

Now I will definitely save for that 02 standard zoom lens.

Thank you.