Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #16

No way I am taking off the original part.

04-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
No way I am taking off the original part.
haha same here, I sorta picked at it for a sec, and was like hell no imma fudge something up...
04-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are really interesting. I am wondering...once you put them on, can you easily take them off and not ruin the camera? It would be nice to change out once in awhile or know that I would be able to sell the camera in its original form when I decide to part with it.
04-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
These are really interesting. I am wondering...once you put them on, can you easily take them off and not ruin the camera? It would be nice to change out once in awhile or know that I would be able to sell the camera in its original form when I decide to part with it.
Hi pghwarrior,

I contacted Aki-Asahi with just that question and got this response:

"Thanks for your inquiry.

1 As for the original cover, you can peel off slowly, then you can
remove very easily. The original skins are stuck with double coated
tapes on the camera body.

2 You could use (stick again) the original cover.

3 Our coverings will not work like that. Once you removed from the
camera you can not stick again."

However, I would imagine if you used double coated tape or something like "UGlu " to attach the skins, you should be able to switch them out and reinstall the original. I'm thinking of doing just that myself. . .

Scott

04-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #20

I think they are just playing safe, I did re-stick one of the two parts because I was clumsy the first time and it stuck again fine. What I don't like is that they were designed to be attached INSTEAD of the original bits and I did not see this information on the website. Hence the longer part of the sticker that goes around the picture mode dial is shorter on the side than it should be when installed ON TOP of the original cover. I think the idea that you have to remove the original cover is inherently wrong, I do not want to fiddle with my camera like this. I think these stickers should have been designed for application on top of the original cover, and unfortunately they are not.

Furthermore, my smaller (left, by the grip) part of the sticker is approximately 1 mm taller than the larger part of the sticker. This became visible when I meticulously installed/aligned them with the mic holes along the bottom. It would actually not fit in vertically if I removed the original cover to install it. Hence I have to carefully cut off 1 mm on top if I want both parts of the sticker to look level on the camera.

If I knew all of this beforehand, I would not pay so much for this thing.

Last edited by Kirill_est; 04-28-2012 at 03:13 AM.
04-28-2012, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
I think they are just playing safe, I did re-stick one of the two parts because I was clumsy the first time and it stuck again fine. What I don't like is that they were designed to be attached INSTEAD of the original bits and I did not see this information on the website. Hence the longer part of the sticker that goes around the picture mode dial is shorter on the side than it should be when installed ON TOP of the original cover. I think the idea that you have to remove the original cover is inherently wrong, I do not want to fiddle with my camera like this. I think these stickers should have been designed for application on top of the original cover, and unfortunately they are not.

Furthermore, my smaller (left, by the grip) part of the sticker is approximately 1 mm taller than the larger part of the sticker. This became visible when I meticulously installed/aligned them with the mic holes along the bottom. It would actually not fit in vertically if I removed the original cover to install it. Hence I have to carefully cut off 1 mm on top if I want both parts of the sticker to look level on the camera.

If I knew all of this beforehand, I would not pay so much for this thing.
Na, ur trippin dude... If you took the original cover off it would of fit flush, you were stupid and put it on above the original covering not knowing you can take it off. I knew you had to take it off just didnt want to in being lazy and now I have a piece short like yours but I dont bitch because because I put it on wrong. It was obvious in the original images it was on flush I even mentioned it in an earlier post that it was obvious you take it of that I just didnt feel like it... WIth all your bitchin bout a $8 sticker you should go head to the k-01 forums hang out with those sad chumps...
04-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #22

I would have been stupid if I even contemplated peeling off the original cover. These stickers should have been designed for installation on top of it. This way, they could have also been installable if someone wanted to mangle the camera by removing the original cover - they would only have to cut off a few mm on the side of the larger part of the sticker to make it fit. It is all about giving the client a smart choice. Right now I don't have this choice as the larger part of the sticker is horizontally shorter than it should be for installing on top and I can't make it longer, I am not a magician.

Also the workmanship should have been better, the sample images show both parts of the sticker having the same height, unlike what I got in the mail. So I pay the money AND have to finish the job for the maker of this merchandise by cutting off the extra one mm from the top of the smaller part so that the merchandise actually would look as advertised.

Bad investment and I have every right to warn others, money does not grow on trees in my country, unlike yours.

Last edited by Kirill_est; 04-28-2012 at 04:01 AM.
04-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have no clue what your talking about, mine went on flush except the ending part where I was supposed to remove the bottom. Once again your just finding things to bitch about. I'm guessing you just put it on crooked. And I'm also guessing you've never bought a new leather skin for a camera before, because I've never seen one where you just lay on top of the existing skin except for the skins for those shit lomo cameras...
11-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #24

please guys, relax. im so happy to find a way to change my boring black new Q. ordered already, also red colour.
11-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is an old thread, but I think I'm not alone in thinking a K-01-style yellow would be pretty cool.
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #26

anything other than black is better, Andrew
11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #27

Actually I sold my white Q to get a black one...but i love the limited silver most
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by kyuuan Quote
Actually I sold my white Q to get a black one...but i love the limited silver most
are you joking? sell and buy the same camera just because of colour ? and from white to black ! i hope you made some $ profit